No modulation of output to TX

  • g4iao
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2014
      Hello, all,

      Newcomer to digital modes and have been trying to setup WSJT on my laptop with a venerable Ten-Tec Argonaut 515.

      I have been successful to some extent, with the receive working perfectly. However, the same cannot be said of transmit where I have come to the limit of my abilities. The PTT is switching the rig to transmit as it should but as far as I can judge, using my banged-up old oscilloscope, although I can hear a signal being produced all that is being sent to the rig is a 5v p-p sine wave with no modulation.

      Clearly, I have gone astray in the setup but I've come to the limit of my knowledge. Can anyone on this list help me to get the TX running?

      Many thanks

      Sandy Robertson G4IAO
    • Jim Bennett
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2014
        Hi Alex,

        This is a long shot, but maybe it'll apply to you too. When I first started playing with WSJT-X a month or two ago, I found the same issue - I could receive / decode JT65 and JT9 signals no problem, but when it came to transmitting - no go. Many times the JT65 transmissions would work, but seldom could I make my K3 put out RF on JT9. And then I realized what the problem was - the K3 (like most rigs) cannot create audio signals past about 2.7 kHz. The user manual for WSJT-X mentions this but I had given it no attention. I found that if I stayed on the 0 - 2500 range on the spectrum display, it would usually work. Once I ventured up past there (where most of JT9 is), the PTT would fire off, but no RF output would happen. This may or may not be your problem, but it is worth some experimenting - try to do a transmission of JT65 (into a dummy load, of course!) at about 1600 on the display and see if you get RF.

        Hope this helps -

        73, Jim / W6JHB

        On   Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014, at  Wednesday, 3:18 AM, alexr0433@... wrote:

        Hello, all,

        Newcomer to digital modes and have been trying to setup WSJT on my laptop with a venerable Ten-Tec Argonaut 515.

        I have been successful to some extent, with the receive working perfectly. However, the same cannot be said of transmit where I have come to the limit of my abilities. The PTT is switching the rig to transmit as it should but as far as I can judge, using my banged-up old oscilloscope, although I can hear a signal being produced all that is being sent to the rig is a 5v p-p sine wave with no modulation.

        Clearly, I have gone astray in the setup but I've come to the limit of my knowledge. Can anyone on this list help me to get the TX running?

        Many thanks

        Sandy Robertson G4IAO

      • Kai
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2014
          The same is true for many popular SSB-capable radios. In an average of 30 popular  SSB radios, the  audio bandwidth was 2450 Hz (typically 250 Hz to 2700 Hz relative to the dial frequency). Check your manual, and also download the ARRL product review for your transceiver to see typical specs in addition to factory specs. That audio spectrum is not necessarily flat!  If you have Digipan, the spectrum is VERY evident on  its waterfall display.
          You can always increase the radio dial frequency by 2 to 4 kHz to get (just) the JT9-favored spectrum.

          Also, radios like the IC 756pro-III have two low-side injection operating modes that can be used for WSJT signaling. One is upper SSB, the second is USD (upper sideband digital). The main difference is that in upper SSB you can access SSB filters up to 3600 Hz wide, but in USD the widest filter is 1500 Hz. There may be ways to change that in radio setup (I don't know), but those are the default values.

          Some radios like the FT-817 require USD mode for signals connected to the accessory jack, otherwise the PTT function will not engage. You can select either the SSB bandwidth or  the CW bandwidth,  however no matter what you select for receive, the transmitter always uses the SSB filter on that radio.

          I guess the bottom line is "know your transceiver and its operational characteristics" under the conditions that you want to use it.

          73
          Kai, KE4PT

          On 3/19/2014 11:53 AM, Jim Bennett wrote:
[...]

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2014
            > I guess the bottom line is "know your transceiver and its operational
            > characteristics" under the conditions that you want to use it.

            Or put another way - "Read the [fine] Manual". Manufacturers spend a
            lot of time and money writing Operating/Instruction Manuals for their
            transceivers - they do it for a reason not because it is "fun."

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV