WSJT suggestion for the "wish list"

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2014
      Hi Joe et al,

      I have a suggestion that would be very handy, for all the various versions of WSJT
      all installed in separate file folders. If you could add a PATH to the call3.txt
      file for use to specify in the SETUP/OPTIONS page, it would really be great! That
      way our call3.txt and changes we make in it could follow us around from one version
      to another ;-)

      TNX for your consideration! VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

      page (above)!
    • Ken Arck
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2014
        At 02:14 PM 3/5/2014, you wrote:

        >Hi Joe et al,
        >
        >I have a suggestion that would be very handy, for all the various
        >versions of WSJT
        >all installed in separate file folders. If you could add a PATH to
        >the call3.txt
        >file for use to specify in the SETUP/OPTIONS page, it would really
        >be great! That
        >way our call3.txt and changes we make in it could follow us around
        >from one version
        >to another ;-)

        <---I would also add being able to access the log from within WSJT
        and even making it searchable

        Ken
        President and CTO - Arcom Communications
        Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
        http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
        Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
        we offer complete repeater packages!
        AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
        http://www.irlp.net
        "We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"
      • Sebastian, W4AS
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2014
          Perhaps Joe could expand this suggestion further. I would like for WSJT to have the ability of recognizing command line arguments when run, for example:

          wsjt.exe 2m.ini

          Where a file named 2m.ini would have the information of a radio’s com port, audio card, and location of the call3.txt file.

          This way a user with more than one radio would need only one copy of the software with multiple ini files.

          The typical user with a single radio would not be impacted with this proposed suggestion, as it should continue to look for the required files in the location where the executable is located, if no command line arguments are given.

          73 de Sebastian, W4AS

          On Mar 05, 2014, at 5:14 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@...> wrote:

          > Hi Joe et al,
          >
          > I have a suggestion that would be very handy, for all the various versions of WSJT
          > all installed in separate file folders. If you could add a PATH to the call3.txt
          > file for use to specify in the SETUP/OPTIONS page, it would really be great! That
          > way our call3.txt and changes we make in it could follow us around from one version
          > to another ;-)
          >
          > TNX for your consideration! VY 73, Lance
        • Greg Beam

            Hi Sebastian, Lance,

            You can do this without a core code modification. A batch for Windows
            / shell script for *Nix that takes %1 or $1 as it's input parameter.

            You could also have multiple batch/shell scripts that switch the
            wsjt.ini for you, sort of like a profile switch:

            For example:
            You'd want a default that always works, like wsjt-safe.ini or
            something, then:

            2m-wsjt.bat .. copies 2m.ini to wsjt.ini and launches wsjt.exe
            hf-wsjt.bat .. copies hf.ini to wsjt.ini and launches wsjt.exe
            restore-ini.bat .. copies wsjt-safe.ini > wsjt.ini

            Using the input parameter method, it could from one file with a
            default to wsjt-safe.ini > wsjt.ini if %1 is not specified.

            *Lance*,

            Possible solution:

            Have a look at mklinks /H /J or maybe /D in Windows:

            Test (I'm on Vista, so may be different for WinXP/Win7):

            In cmd window:
            mkdir dir1 dir2
            type NUL > %CD%\dir1\call3.txt
            mklink /h %CD%\dir2\call3.txt %CD%\dir1\call3.txt
            Hardlink created for \dir2\call3.txt <<===>> \dir1\call3.txt

            Would need testing for multi-access. call3.txt could reside outside of
            the wsjt dir, which would also need testing.

            73's
            Greg, KI7MT