WSJT9 & 10 Problem

  • kuesrks
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2014

      Hello, Group,

      I have an interesting and frustrating problem. It involves the inadvertent shutdown of either WSJT9 or 10 on my PC.

      * I'm running the latest version of WIN7.

      * I have WSJT9, WSJT10, and WSJT7 all loaded in this computer, each in their own directory in C:, i.e C:\WSJT9, C:\WSJT10, C:\WSJT7.

      * Both 9 and 10 will fail with the following messages:

      "Error opening azel.dat

      Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

      Failed to register menu class."

      This appears in the WSJT9 window that identifies the audio channels, etc.

      Also, Windows gives me this message:

      "Runtime Error!

      Program C;|WSJT9\WSJT9.EXE

      This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

      Please contact the application's support team for more information."

      The program then shuts down.

      The azel file is present in each folder.  The contents of these files are consistent, from what I can see.

      Note that this happens any time I start WSJT9 or 10 after I have started up the computer.  However if I delete the complete WSJT9 or 10 folders, then reload the programs from scratch, and reset my callsign, location, audio channels, etc., then stop and restart the program to get it running with the audio channels, either version 9 or 10 will work flawlessly for as long as the computer is on.  BUT, if I shut down the computer, 9 and 10 will fail, guaranteed, as described above, unless I delete all the 9 or 10 files/folders and reload.

      To complicate the mystery, WSJT7 works flawlessly, never failing, even after the computer shutdown/restart which causes 9 and 10 to fail predictably.

      I've checked file and folder properties to make sure 9 and 10 match 7 (they do) to no avail.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Richard Schmidt

      K1RS

      DM43cr

      Scottsdale, AZ

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2014
        Hi Richard and all,

        I don't have an immediate explanation for the problem you're
        experiencing, but I do have a suggestion.

        We have been experimenting with different ways of making our
        installation packages. The latest one for WSJT10 is posted at the
        following URL:

        physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_10.0_r3821.exe

        One nice feature of this version is much faster startup. It would be
        good to know whether it solves your other problem, as well.

        Notes to all:

        *Reminder #1:* If you try this candidate-for-release for WSJT 10.0,
        please provide us with feedback!

        *Reminder #2:* The User Guide for WSJT 10.0 is posted at
        http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/doc/wsjt/

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        On 3/4/2014 4:12 PM, kuesrks@... wrote:
        > Hello, Group,
        >

        > I have an interesting and frustrating problem. It involves the inadvertent shutdown of either WSJT9 or 10 on my PC.
        >

        > * I'm running the latest version of WIN7.
        > * I have WSJT9, WSJT10, and WSJT7 all loaded in this computer, each in their own directory in C:, i.e C:\WSJT9, C:\WSJT10, C:\WSJT7.
        > * Both 9 and 10 will fail with the following messages:
        > "Error opening azel.dat
        > Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate
        > Failed to register menu class."
        > This appears in the WSJT9 window that identifies the audio channels, etc.
        > Also, Windows gives me this message:
        > "Runtime Error!
        > Program C;|WSJT9\WSJT9.EXE
        > This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
        > Please contact the application's support team for more information."
        > The program then shuts down.
        >

        > The azel file is present in each folder. The contents of these files are consistent, from what I can see.
        >

        > Note that this happens any time I start WSJT9 or 10 after I have started up the computer. However if I delete the complete WSJT9 or 10 folders, then reload the programs from scratch, and reset my callsign, location, audio channels, etc., then stop and restart the program to get it running with the audio channels, either version 9 or 10 will work flawlessly for as long as the computer is on. BUT, if I shut down the computer, 9 and 10 will fail, guaranteed, as described above, unless I delete all the 9 or 10 files/folders and reload.
        >

        > To complicate the mystery, WSJT7 works flawlessly, never failing, even after the computer shutdown/restart which causes 9 and 10 to fail predictably.
        >

        > I've checked file and folder properties to make sure 9 and 10 match 7 (they do) to no avail.
        >

        > Any ideas?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Richard Schmidt
        > K1RS
        > DM43cr
        > Scottsdale, AZ

      • Richard Schmidt
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2014
          Thanks, Joe. I will give that -10 load a try.

          BTW, I also have WSJT-X on my computer, and it works great. Must be something different with 9 and 10...

          Richard, K1RS

          Sent from my iPhone

          > On Mar 4, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:
          >
          > Hi Richard and all,
          >
          > I don't have an immediate explanation for the problem you're experiencing, but I do have a suggestion.
          >
          > We have been experimenting with different ways of making our installation packages. The latest one for WSJT10 is posted at the following URL:
          >
          > physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_10.0_r3821.exe
          >
          > One nice feature of this version is much faster startup. It would be good to know whether it solves your other problem, as well.
          >
          > Notes to all:
          >
          > *Reminder #1:* If you try this candidate-for-release for WSJT 10.0, please provide us with feedback!
          >
          > *Reminder #2:* The User Guide for WSJT 10.0 is posted at
          > http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/doc/wsjt/
          >
          > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
          >
          >> On 3/4/2014 4:12 PM, kuesrks@... wrote:
          >> Hello, Group,
          >>

          >> I have an interesting and frustrating problem. It involves the inadvertent shutdown of either WSJT9 or 10 on my PC.
          >>

          >> * I'm running the latest version of WIN7.
          >> * I have WSJT9, WSJT10, and WSJT7 all loaded in this computer, each in their own directory in C:, i.e C:\WSJT9, C:\WSJT10, C:\WSJT7.
          >> * Both 9 and 10 will fail with the following messages:
          >> "Error opening azel.dat
          >> Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate
          >> Failed to register menu class."
          >> This appears in the WSJT9 window that identifies the audio channels, etc.
          >> Also, Windows gives me this message:
          >> "Runtime Error!
          >> Program C;|WSJT9\WSJT9.EXE
          >> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
          >> Please contact the application's support team for more information."
          >> The program then shuts down.
          >>

          >> The azel file is present in each folder. The contents of these files are consistent, from what I can see.
          >>

          >> Note that this happens any time I start WSJT9 or 10 after I have started up the computer. However if I delete the complete WSJT9 or 10 folders, then reload the programs from scratch, and reset my callsign, location, audio channels, etc., then stop and restart the program to get it running with the audio channels, either version 9 or 10 will work flawlessly for as long as the computer is on. BUT, if I shut down the computer, 9 and 10 will fail, guaranteed, as described above, unless I delete all the 9 or 10 files/folders and reload.
          >>

          >> To complicate the mystery, WSJT7 works flawlessly, never failing, even after the computer shutdown/restart which causes 9 and 10 to fail predictably.
          >>

          >> I've checked file and folder properties to make sure 9 and 10 match 7 (they do) to no avail.
          >>

          >> Any ideas?
          >>

          >> Thanks,
          >>

          >> Richard Schmidt
          >> K1RS
          >> DM43cr
          >> Scottsdale, AZ

        • Tom Magarelli
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2014

            I just downloaded WSJT_10.O_r3821.exe and tried to install it.

            It did install it on my PC, but when I tried to run it from the desktop icon,

            it said it could not find it. When I looked I found the .exe file in

            WSJT10\WSJT10\Bin file. When I double clicked on the exe file

            my screen went black some words appeared quickly in the upper left hand corner,

            to fast to read and then I was back at the desktop.

            I am running Win XP. Had no problems with WSJT 9.7 or WSJT-X

            Not sure what I did wrong

            Tom – WA2PNI

          • Lance Collister, W7GJ
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2014
              Hi Joe et al,

              I have been using WSJT10 for JT65A on 6m EME the last few days and have had no
              trouble. It installed and starts fine. I did notice that a caller did decode on
              my backup receive computer using WSJT9.5 when I did not get a decode in WSJT10, but I
              suspect it was just a random chance thing due to differences between the two sound
              cards. It is very handy being able to have two computers to run some multiple
              sessions of WSJT so I can accrue different weak callers each into separate averages.

              Is there any chance of incorporating such a feature into a future version? Such as
              saving individual averages from weak signals received over, say, 20 Hz wide DF
              frequency ranges? Not sure how you would clear specific averages and leave others
              to accumulate, though....

              Thanks for such a great program! I worked C91KHN on Monday - the first ever 6m
              contact from USA to Mozambique - all thanks to JT65A :-) What a new realm JT65A has
              opened up for us!

              MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

              --
              Lance Collister, W7GJ
              (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

              page (above)!
            • Bobby Chandler
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2014
                Joe, link didn’t work for me.  Says can’t be found on server.

                bec

                bobbye@...
                n4au@...

              • Tom Magarelli
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2014

                  I tried yesterday to download and install the WSJT_10.O_r3821.exe

                  I was able to down load it. My trouble started when I tried to install it.

                  After the install the program did not start.

                  I asked the question about what I did wrong and I received a reply from Joe, K1JT

                  He told me that “the package at the link I gave is flawed.  We'll post a corrected one soon.”

                  So it looks like the file has been removed, so that may be why the file can’t be found.

                  I guess we will wait until Joe makes the corrections and places it back on the server.

                  This is just my summation and I could be way off.

                  Tom – WA2PNI