WSJT 9.7

  • John Lemay
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
      I notice that the latest WSJT9.7 installs to a default folder called WSJT7.
      Seems a bit odd ?

      John G4ZTR
    • Sebastian, W4AS
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
        Not in my case, it installed to my WSJT9 directory. Perhaps it looks at the registry for the previous installation directory?

        I also wonder what is new in this version - Joe?

        73 de Sebastian, W4AS

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 18, 2014
          Hi John, Sebastian, and all,

          W4AS wrote:
          > Not in my case, it installed to my WSJT9 directory. Perhaps it looks
          > at the registry for the previous installation directory?

          Yes, that's exactly what it does. Bottom line: you decide where you
          want it.

          > I also wonder what is new in this version - Joe?

          As stated on the web site: "The latest release, WSJT 9.7, includes the
          JTMS mode, designed for meteor scatter at 144 MHz and higher." There
          are also a number of improvements in the way JT4 modes can be used for
          microwave EME.

          Also note: if you really want to try the latest, check out the
          all new User Guide for *WSJT 10.0* at
          http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/doc/wsjt/

          If you wish, you can even play with the candidate-for-release
          WSJT 10.0. The Windows package can be downloaded from
          http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_10.0_r3769.exe

          *Your responsibility*, if you read the new manual and/or play with WSJT
          10.0, is to provide feedback.

          *Note to HF users*: WSJT-X is the program for you. WSJT is for meteor
          scatter, EME, and other weak-signal use on the VHF/UHF/Microwave bands.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • John Lemay
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2014

            Thanks Joe, all sorted, clearly it’s a “Windows thing” !

            John G4ZTR

            W4AS wrote:
            > Not in my case, it installed to my WSJT9 directory. Perhaps it looks
            > at the registry for the previous installation directory?

            Yes, that's exactly what it does. Bottom line: you decide where you
            want it.

            > I also wonder what is new in this version - Joe?

            As stated on the web site: "The latest release, WSJT 9.7, includes the
            JTMS mode, designed for meteor scatter at 144 MHz and higher." There
            are also a number of improvements in the way JT4 modes can be used for
            microwave EME.

            Also note: if you really want to try the latest, check out the
            all new User Guide for *WSJT 10.0* at
            http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/doc/wsjt/

            If you wish, you can even play with the candidate-for-release
            WSJT 10.0. The Windows package can be downloaded from
            http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_10.0_r3769.exe

            *Your responsibility*, if you read the new manual and/or play with WSJT
            10.0, is to provide feedback.

            *Note to HF users*: WSJT-X is the program for you. WSJT is for meteor
            scatter, EME, and other weak-signal use on the VHF/UHF/Microwave bands.

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT

          • Lance Collister, W7GJ
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2014
              On 2/18/2014 10:04 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
              > Also note: if you really want to try the latest, check out the all new User Guide
              > for *WSJT 10.0* at http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/doc/wsjt/
              Thanks Joe!

              The WSJT10 manual certainly looks very nicely done! Is there any hope of ever
              getting a license for the improved JT65 decoder that was capable of achieving the
              close to the same effectiveness at the DEEP SEARCH but without requiring the
              call3.txt search?

              Am I correct in concluding that there are essentially no changes to the way JT65A
              works in version 9.7 or 10?

              TNX so much! VY 73, Lance

              --
              Lance Collister, W7GJ
              (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

              page (above)!
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 19, 2014
                On 2/19/2014 12:28 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
                > The WSJT10 manual certainly looks very nicely done! Is there any hope of
                > ever getting a license for the improved JT65 decoder that was capable of
                > achieving the close to the same effectiveness at the DEEP SEARCH but
                > without requiring the call3.txt search?

                I believe you are mistaken. There is no such "improved JT65 decoder".

                > Am I correct in concluding that there are essentially no changes to the
                > way JT65A works in version 9.7 or 10?

                Yes.
                -- Joe, K1JT
              • Kai
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 19, 2014
                  Joe,
                  The below might be a reference to the decoders (apparently) in JT-65-HF;
                   "JT65-HF (c)2008...2011 Joe Large W6CQZ"

                  In the presentation of received signals of JT-65HF, there is a column between "DF" and "Exchange",
                  which is either "B" or "K" in value. "B" denotes "a simple decoder", while "K" denotes the
                  "K-V" decoder.  Documentation is sparse, but there is no mention of a "deep search" capability.

                  However,  your paper "The JT65 Communications Protocol" [QEX Sep - Oct 2013] mentions the following:
                  "Such messages will be decoded with the already remarkable sensitivity of the K-V algorithm. However, for any message within the defined subset, the deep search decoder provides about 4 dB more sensitivity while still maintaining a low error rate."
                  Your Figure 4 in that paper compares the performance of the K-V (Koetter-Vardy) and DS (Deep search) algorithms.

                  Let me inject a BIG thanks for all your work on these ham protocols. It certainly increased my ham radio enjoyment, both on HF, and recently in an introduction to EME. Thanks!

                  73,
                  Kai, KE4PT

                  On 2/19/2014 12:38 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
                  On 2/19/2014 12:28 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

                  The WSJT10 manual certainly looks very nicely done! Is there any hope of
                  ever getting a license for the improved JT65 decoder that was capable of
                  achieving the close to the same effectiveness at the DEEP SEARCH but
                  without requiring the call3.txt search?

                  I believe you are mistaken.  There is no such "improved JT65 decoder".

                  Am I correct in concluding that there are essentially no changes to the
                  way JT65A works in version 9.7 or 10?

                  Yes.
                  	-- Joe, K1JT

                  WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/