Tube amplifier for JT65?

  • tony everhardt
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5 4:00 PM
      I'm looking for an amplifier for some eme on 2 meters. I really don't want a tube amp for JT65 but ran across an old Henry for sale. I was wondering if anyone runs a tube for eme using JT65? Personally I'm looking for a transistor amp. I melted a 3-500Z on 6 meters. My own fault. But I'm new at this stuff and learn fast. Especially when it effects the wallet.

      N8WAC
    • Ken Arck
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5 4:21 PM
        I sold my old Tempo 2002 and built an LDMOS one. I've been using on JT65 EME for several months now. And I love it!

        http://www.ah6le.net/index.php/vhf-solid-state-kilowatts

        Ken

        At 04:00 PM 2/5/2014, you wrote:

        I'm looking for an amplifier for some eme on 2 meters. I really don't want a tube amp for JT65 but ran across an old Henry for sale. I was wondering if anyone runs a tube for eme using JT65? Personally I'm looking for a transistor amp. I melted a 3-500Z on 6 meters. My own fault. But I'm new at this stuff and learn fast. Especially when it effects the wallet.

        N8WAC
      • Lance Collister, W7GJ
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5 4:25 PM
          Hi Tony,

          MOST of the people on 2m EME use tubes on JT65B mode! Just make sure you push
          plenty of air through it to keep it cool! Here is a photo showing how I added
          muffin fans on the top of my W6PO 2m 8877 amp to help suck the air out:

          http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/W7GJ8877AMPS.jpg

          That really reduces the backpressure on the blower an greatly increases the amount of
          air going through the tube. I have no problem running 1500w output on JT65B mode on
          2m with mine.

          --
          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

          page (above)!
        • tony everhardt

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 8 10:34 PM
                  Tony N8WAC wrote:

                  > I'm looking for an amplifier for some eme on 2 meters.
                  > I really don't want a tube amp for JT65 but ran across an old
                  > Henry for sale. I was wondering if anyone runs a tube for eme
                  > using JT65? Personally I'm looking for a transistor amp.

                  At NC1I we've been using a tube amp on 70cm WSJT for years - no problems. Look around for a used K1FO / LunarLink amp - that would work just fine.

                  I'm sure you can find both tube and solid state amps that are poorly designed that when used for long transmit sequences won't last. And the other side of the coin is also true. I think in part the saying that you get what you pay for will hold true - a cheap amp (tube or solid state) won't be a good investment.

                  FWIW - the NC1I 23cm station uses Kuhne amps and they can put out steady tones for minutes and not even get warm!

                  Bob W1QA
                • PETER HUTCHISON
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9 6:15 AM
                    Hi,

                    I cannot comment about using a valve amp for WJST but I have been running a Beko HLV-1000 for the past year. Well built, reliable, runs cool, instant power, inbuilt preamp sequencer, good protection....list goes on.
                    Highly recommended.

                    Peter G4URT