ic-7410 cat error

  • jos berrens
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2014
      Hi group,

      I am using a IC-7410 via CAT USB control with the std ic7410 menu settings.
      When pushing test ptt and cat control everything works ok but in operatig mode f.e. tune or cq, a pop up OK window appears with cat error -8.
      This happens by starting transmit and ending transmit. Has anyone had the same experience or any ideas to solve this?
      Ive already tried al possible CAT/port configuaration settings.

      73, Jos, PE1OUL

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2014
        Hi Jos,
        Try turning off "Transceive" in the 7410.
        With transceive on, the radio sends updates without being polled.
        Although simple to handle,
        most software can't deal with the unrequested packets.
        Unfortunately, most Icom accessories like external tuners and amplifiers
        stop working right
        when transceive is turned off. Hopefully this will get resolved soon in
        WSJT-X.
        Bill KC7I

        >I am using a IC-7410 via CAT USB control with the std ic7410 menu
        settings.
        >When pushing test ptt and cat control everything works ok but in
        operatig mode f.e. tune or cq, a pop up OK window >appears with cat
        error -8.
        >This happens by starting transmit and ending transmit. Has anyone had
        the same experience or any ideas to solve >this?
        >Ive already tried al possible CAT/port configuaration settings.

        >73, Jos, PE1OUL
      • Ian Wade, G3NRW
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 1, 2014
          In message <52ED48DD.3050701@...>, Bill <bill@...> writes

          >most software can't deal with the unrequested packets.

          Bill

          Most software *can* deal with unsolicited CAT responses, but WSJT-X (at
          least r3590) was an exception. This was a real problem with the TS-590S
          in r3590 -- unsolicited responses brought WSJT-X to its knees.

          >Unfortunately, most Icom accessories like external tuners
          >and amplifiers stop working right when transceive is turned off.

          Same with the 590. Also, many users run the 590 Control Program
          (ARCP-590) which depends on those unsolicited responses from the radio.

          I haven't tried r3763 yet. I hope the problem is fixed now.

          Ian, G3NRW
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2014
            On 2/1/2014 3:31 PM, Ian Wade, G3NRW wrote:
            > In message<52ED48DD.3050701@...>, Bill<bill@...> writes
            >
            >> most software can't deal with the unrequested packets.
            >
            > Bill
            >
            > Most software *can* deal with unsolicited CAT responses, but WSJT-X (at
            > least r3590) was an exception. This was a real problem with the TS-590S
            > in r3590 -- unsolicited responses brought WSJT-X to its knees.
            >
            > >Unfortunately, most Icom accessories like external tuners
            > >and amplifiers stop working right when transceive is turned off.
            >
            > Same with the 590. Also, many users run the 590 Control Program
            > (ARCP-590) which depends on those unsolicited responses from the radio.
            >
            > I haven't tried r3763 yet. I hope the problem is fixed now.

            It won't be. WSJT-X v1.3 uses the same hamlib calls for rig control
            that were in r3590.

            We know that these fail for a few specific radios. (In most cases that
            I know about, you're OK if you set *Polling interval* = 0.) We expect
            that the next release will resolve all presently known issues.

            -- Joe, K1JT
          • Ian Wade, G3NRW
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
              In message <52F0115F.7030508@...>, Joe Taylor
              <joe@...> writes

              >>I hope the problem is fixed now.
              >
              >It won't be. WSJT-X v1.3 uses the same hamlib calls for rig control
              >that were in r3590.

              Joe

              As I understand it, the combination of WSJT-X + hamlib fails because it
              can't handle high levels of unsolicited CAT responses. Are you sure it
              is hamlib that is responsible for this, not WSJT-X itself? Hamlib should
              pass all the responses back to WSJT-X, and it's then up to WSJT-X to
              dump the unwanted ones.

              Ian, G3NRW
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                Hi Ian,

                On 2/4/2014 3:30 AM, Ian Wade, G3NRW wrote:
                > As I understand it, the combination of WSJT-X + hamlib fails because it
                > can't handle high levels of unsolicited CAT responses. Are you sure it
                > is hamlib that is responsible for this, not WSJT-X itself? Hamlib should
                > pass all the responses back to WSJT-X, and it's then up to WSJT-X to
                > dump the unwanted ones.

                If you are an expert on coding hamlib calls, please feel free to
                volunteer your help.

                We know there are issues with the control of a few (and only a few)
                radios. We have been busy with other features and priorities, up to now.

                I don't remember whether you have a problem, or not; but if yours is one
                of the few radios that doesn't play nicely with WSJT-X v1.3, by now you
                must know about the well-tested work-arounds: use Commander, or set
                Polling interval = 0, etc.

                -- 73, Joe, K1JT
              • Ian Wade, G3NRW
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                  In message <52F0ECB1.4010108@...>, Joe Taylor
                  <joe@...> writes

                  Hi Joe

                  >If you are an expert on coding hamlib calls, please feel free to
                  >volunteer your help.

                  Regrettably I don't know enough about hamlib internals to be of any real
                  help. However, I discussed this off-line with Bill this morning, and we
                  have agreed on a measure that should prevent the TS-590S overloading the
                  CAT input with unsolicited responses. Then the WSJT-X "overload" issue
                  should go away (at least for the 590, don't know about Elecraft or
                  Icom).

                  That just leaves the "spontaneous crash" issue ....

                  Ian, G3NRW
                • Arthur York
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                    I also have not been able to use CAT with my TS480.  I do not report spots, as on occasion I have not changed the frequency manually and send out rubbish.  Any help on a TS480 will be appreciated.

                    Art
                    K0AY
                  • Joe Subich, W4TV
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                      The answer to the "overload" issue for Kenwood, recent Yaesu
                      transceivers (FT-450, 950, 1200, 2000, 3000, 5000, 9000, etc.)
                      and Icom transceivers is to set AI0; (auto information in the
                      menu) for Kenwood/Yaesu and turn CI-V transceive OFF in Icom.
                      This information that been "out there" ever since WSJT-X added
                      CAT polling.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                      On 2/4/2014 9:23 AM, Ian Wade, G3NRW wrote:
                      > In message <52F0ECB1.4010108@...>, Joe Taylor
                      > <joe@...> writes
                      >
                      > Hi Joe
                      >>
                      >> If you are an expert on coding hamlib calls, please feel free to
                      >> volunteer your help.
                      >
                      > Regrettably I don't know enough about hamlib internals to be of any real
                      > help. However, I discussed this off-line with Bill this morning, and we
                      > have agreed on a measure that should prevent the TS-590S overloading the
                      > CAT input with unsolicited responses. Then the WSJT-X "overload" issue
                      > should go away (at least for the 590, don't know about Elecraft or
                      > Icom).
                      >
                      > That just leaves the "spontaneous crash" issue ....

                    • Carol & Fred Darrah
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                        Just a thought.
                        Maybe the owners of the problem rigs need to contact the manufactures and ask them what is the problem with their rigs? Many of us have no problems with the basic software and do not need fixes or patches. I stay basic and have not had all the problems.
                        Fred  N9GUE

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                          In message <1391531535.38728.YahooMailNeo@...>,
                          Carol & Fred Darrah <cfdarrah@...> writes
                          >Just a thought.
                          >Maybe the owners of the problem rigs need to contact the manufactures
                          >and ask them what is the problem with their rigs? Many of us have no
                          >problems with the basic software and do not need fixes or patches. I
                          >stay basic and have not had all the problems.
                          >Fred  N9GUE

                          Hi Fred.

                          Your key words are "stay basic". If you do that, then everything will
                          work as advertised.

                          But if you want to run other COM-based apps or devices *and* run the
                          basic software *and* have only one COM port available, then you will
                          need to share that port. That's where it gets complicated. This isn't a
                          manufacturer issue, it's an application program issue, in that the
                          application can't handle what the radio sends to it.

                          Ian, G3NRW
                        • Ian Wade, G3NRW
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                            In message <52F112D1.70101@...>, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
                            <lists@...> writes

                            >The answer to the "overload" issue for Kenwood, recent Yaesu
                            >transceivers (FT-450, 950, 1200, 2000, 3000, 5000, 9000, etc.)
                            >and Icom transceivers is to set AI0; (auto information in the
                            >menu) for Kenwood/Yaesu and turn CI-V transceive OFF in Icom.
                            >This information that been "out there" ever since WSJT-X added
                            >CAT polling.

                            Joe

                            That isn't the "answer", as you put it. It's a workaround, a compromise,
                            to overcome the WSJT-X/hamlib combo issue.

                            With the TS-590S it isn't a big deal, because you have two serial ports
                            to play with. On the other hand, if you have a radio with only one
                            serial port to play with, and you want to share it, then it is a problem
                            which turning off AI or C-IV transceive won't address.

                            Ian, G3NRW
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                              G3NRW wrote:
                              > Your key words are "stay basic". If you do that, then everything will
                              > work as advertised.
                              >
                              > But if you want to run other COM-based apps or devices *and* run the
                              > basic software *and* have only one COM port available, then you will
                              > need to share that port. That's where it gets complicated. This isn't a
                              > manufacturer issue, it's an application program issue, in that the
                              > application can't handle what the radio sends to it.

                              WSJT-X comes with a full money-back guarantee. Our "advertising" has
                              been careful to document necessary cautions and work-arounds when issues
                              with particular rigs are discovered.

                              "With most radios you can ..."

                              "Some experimentation may be required ..."

                              Set *Polling interval* = 0, if you haven't already done that for your
                              problem rig. You'll still get nearly all the benefits of WSJT-X. Or
                              control your radio from WSJT-X through Commander. Or, for $99.99, you
                              can have HRD 6 with "full support".

                              If you're simply trying to remind us that not all our work on WSJT-X is
                              finished, thanks. We suspected as much.

                              -- 73, Joe, K1JT
                            • Joe Subich, W4TV
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                                > That isn't the "answer", as you put it. It's a workaround, a
                                > compromise, to overcome the WSJT-X/hamlib combo issue.

                                Yes, it is *the* answer - to use hamlib in the manner in which is
                                was designed to be used.

                                > On the other hand, if you have a radio with only one serial port to
                                > play with, and you want to share it,

                                *ANY* configuration that attempts to control a single transceiver
                                from more than one application is *bound* to have problems of one
                                kind or other. Transceivers are simply *not designed* as "shared
                                resources" and most application software - whether it be HRD, WSJT,
                                or Kenwood's ARCP - expect to be the *only* application controlling
                                the transceiver. They do not expect the transceiver to be talking
                                to other applications or expect that other applications will change
                                operating parameters behind their back.

                                If you want a "shared resource" get a toy (software) radio and give
                                each application its own virtual receiver to play with.

                                73,

                                ... Joe, W4TV

                                On 2/4/2014 12:10 PM, Ian Wade, G3NRW wrote:
                                > In message <52F112D1.70101@...>, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
                                > <lists@...> writes
                                >>
                                >> The answer to the "overload" issue for Kenwood, recent Yaesu
                                >> transceivers (FT-450, 950, 1200, 2000, 3000, 5000, 9000, etc.)
                                >> and Icom transceivers is to set AI0; (auto information in the
                                >> menu) for Kenwood/Yaesu and turn CI-V transceive OFF in Icom.
                                >> This information that been "out there" ever since WSJT-X added
                                >> CAT polling.
                                >>

                                > Joe
                                >
                                > That isn't the "answer", as you put it. It's a workaround, a compromise,
                                > to overcome the WSJT-X/hamlib combo issue.
                                >
                                > With the TS-590S it isn't a big deal, because you have two serial ports
                                > to play with. On the other hand, if you have a radio with only one
                                > serial port to play with, and you want to share it, then it is a problem
                                > which turning off AI or C-IV transceive won't address.

                              • Rick Langford
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014

                                  I’m not sure who made the comment get a TOY get a software transceiver,

                                  But I can tell you I have an SDR and I WOULDN’T  use anything else, especially for digital modes and using DDUTIL I can run several radio related software applications at the same time.

                                  Including WSJT-x WSPR and HRD

                                  Toss in the lower noise floor and great filtering, you can work really weak signals others fail to see, hear, or in this case decode!

                                  I wouldn’t call and SDR a TOY by any means

                                  N8SDR

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 4, 2014
                                    Ian,
                                    That may be the difference in my set up. My computer has an add on card that gives me 4 serial ports. My present rig is also a computer architecture rig. I have not had any problems that were not operator errors. Thanks for your thoughts Ian. I am sure the problems will be solved but it seems a tremendous task to get the software to respond to so many different rigs.  Everyone wants to use control and logging software at the same time. Operators are not appreciative of the problems to overcome.
                                    73 Fred   N9GUE