WSJT help

  • Marvin Feldman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2014
      I have WSJY-X V1.2.1, R 3590) which I use on 160 meter JT65.

      I have two problems, have written to K1JT who suggested that I post to this board to find a solution to:

      1)  When I check the Enable CAT box on the set up mode, that becomes unchecked the next time I use WSJT.  Is there any way I can set this up and it stays set up without my having to redo this each time I use this software?  K1JT told me it should stay checked but it does not.

      2) The frequency read out does not track my Kenwood TS-570D.  Sometimes it reads the freq and other times it does not.  I push the orange, sometimes green button and this helps, other times it does not.

      Thank you and 73,

      Marv
      K4KEW

      Marvin & Carole Feldman
      8652 Goodbys Trace Drive
      Jacksonville, FL  32217
      USA
    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2014
        The TS-570D has the most woefully underpowered controller of any
        transceiver. It is probably as much responsible for you problems
        as the limitations of the Hamlib drivers used by WSJT-X.

        The TS-570D absolutely requires RTS/CTS handshake in order to work
        properly and all one can do with the current version of WSJT-X is
        to set RTS ON to the TS-570 will send data to the computer. However,
        since WSJT-X is not watching CTS there is a very good chance it will
        send data to the transceiver when the TS-570D is not ready of it and
        the rig will ignore the data which will result in WSJT-X disabling
        CAT (again).

        I don't have access to a TS-570D for testing, nor do I know of any
        diagnostics in WSJT-X/Hamlib that would allow one to confirm that
        hypothesis. However, I've seen enough support problems with CAT and
        the 570 to know that it is, hands down, the most fussy rig in
        existence. Couple that with the lack of error recovery in WSJT-X
        and one has all the makings of a deadlock.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 1/22/2014 11:19 AM, Marvin Feldman wrote:
        > I have WSJY-X V1.2.1, R 3590) which I use on 160 meter JT65.
        >
        > I have two problems, have written to K1JT who suggested that I post to this board to find a solution to:
        >
        > 1) When I check the Enable CAT box on the set up mode, that becomes unchecked the next time I use WSJT. Is there any way I can set this up and it stays set up without my having to redo this each time I use this software? K1JT told me it should stay checked but it does not.
        >
        > 2) The frequency read out does not track my Kenwood TS-570D. Sometimes it reads the freq and other times it does not. I push the orange, sometimes green button and this helps, other times it does not.
        >
        > Thank you and 73,
        >
        > Marv
        > K4KEW
        >
        > Marvin & Carole Feldman
        > 8652 Goodbys Trace Drive
        > Jacksonville, FL 32217
        > USA

      • Jim - N4ST
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2014
          Marv,
          Your first problem is probably a function of your second problem.
          W4TV described the issue well.

          If your CAT connection fails just one time, WSJT-X will disable CAT.
          Just doing something like turning off your radio before WSJT-X (or starting
          the software before the radio) will disable your CAT connection and require
          it to be set up again.

          _________
          73,
          Jim – N4ST

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2014
            Marv,

            Unless and until Hamlib implements working RTS/CTS handshake and WSJT-X
            becomes much more fault tolerant (e.g. retry when a response is missed,
            etc.), I would not hold out much hope for frequency tracking with the
            570.

            The 570 already has a reputation for not being able to respond to polls
            from a logger and send CW at the same time (e.g polling can cause CW
            break-up) ... ignoring polls when the VFO knob is being moved, etc. I
            don't know that there is much than can be done to help. However, as
            counter-intuitive as it may seem using a higher data rate may help
            slightly as it takes less time to process poll/response at 34800 bps
            than it does at 4800 bps - as long as the control program does not
            take advantage of the higher data rate and increase the polling rate.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

          • chas cartmel
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 23, 2014

              Marv

              I was using a TS570D up till a week ago when my TS990 arrived (whoopee) and never had any trouble interfacing to the WSJT-X program.

              My configuration is shown on my website if you wish to compare.

              Sorry for sending this to you Joe, the ‘auto to member’ caught me out again. PITA

              73

              Charlie

              www.G4EST.me.uk

              The TS-570D has the most woefully underpowered controller of any
              transceiver. It is probably as much responsible for you problems
              as the limitations of the Hamlib drivers used by WSJT-X.

              The TS-570D absolutely requires RTS/CTS handshake in order to work
              properly and all one can do with the current version of WSJT-X is
              to set RTS ON to the TS-570 will send data to the computer. However,
              since WSJT-X is not watching CTS there is a very good chance it will
              send data to the transceiver when the TS-570D is not ready of it and
              the rig will ignore the data which will result in WSJT-X disabling
              CAT (again).

              I don't have access to a TS-570D for testing, nor do I know of any
              diagnostics in WSJT-X/Hamlib that would allow one to confirm that
              hypothesis. However, I've seen enough support problems with CAT and
              the 570 to know that it is, hands down, the most fussy rig in
              existence. Couple that with the lack of error recovery in WSJT-X
              and one has all the makings of a deadlock.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 1/22/2014 11:19 AM, Marvin Feldman wrote:
              > I have WSJY-X V1.2.1, R 3590) which I use on 160 meter JT65.
              >
              > I have two problems, have written to K1JT who suggested that I post to this board to find a solution to:
              >
              > 1) When I check the Enable CAT box on the set up mode, that becomes unchecked the next time I use WSJT. Is there any way I can set this up and it stays set up without my having to redo this each time I use this software? K1JT told me it should stay checked but it does not.
              >
              > 2) The frequency read out does not track my Kenwood TS-570D. Sometimes it reads the freq and other times it does not. I push the orange, sometimes green button and this helps, other times it does not.
              >
              > Thank you and 73,
              >
              > Marv
              > K4KEW
              >
              > Marvin & Carole Feldman
              > 8652 Goodbys Trace Drive
              > Jacksonville, FL 32217
              > USA

            • Bobby Chandler
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2014
                Never had a problem with my 570D with any of the programs and CAT control.  WSPR-x works fine.  You do need to be sure the radio is on before you start the program.

                Bobby/N4AU

              • Joe Subich, W4TV
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2014
                  The alternative would be to use DXKeeper's CI-V Commander or
                  HRD to control the radio and allow WSJT to get frequency info
                  from Commander or HRD.

                  73,

                  ... Joe, W4TV