Need Alaska for WAS

  • tony everhardt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
      I need Alaska for my WAS. Anybody here want to try a schedule with me before the dx season fades away? If any takers email me off line at natewac@...

      N8WAC,Tony

    • tony everhardt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
        I should have stated I need my WAS on 160 meters. Any takers email me off line at natewac@...

        N8WAC

        On Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:02 AM, tony everhardt <n8wac@...> wrote:

        I need Alaska for my WAS. Anybody here want to try a schedule with me before the dx season fades away? If any takers email me off line at natewac@...

        N8WAC,Tony

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
          Don't hide under a blanket ... I could use KL7 on 160 as well
          to complete 9 band WAS. Although making it will be a bit of a
          challenge KL7 to Florida with only a 40' high trap inverted V,
          no receive antennas and less than 100W.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 1/9/2014 4:35 AM, tony everhardt wrote:
          > I should have stated I need my WAS on 160 meters. Any takers email me off line at natewac@...
          >
          > N8WAC
          >

          > On Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:02 AM, tony everhardt <n8wac@...> wrote:
          >

          > I need Alaska for my WAS. Anybody here want to try a schedule with me before the dx season fades away? If any takers email me off line at natewac@...
          >
          > N8WAC,Tony

        • KK2DOG in NY
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014

            Don't hide under a blanket ... I could use KL7 on 160 as well
            to complete 9 band WAS. Although making it will be a bit of a
            challenge KL7 to Florida with only a 40' high trap inverted V,
            no receive antennas and less than 100W.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 1/9/2014 4:35 AM, tony everhardt wrote:
            > I should have stated I need my WAS on 160 meters. Any takers email me off line at natewac@...
            >
            > N8WAC
            >

            > On Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:02 AM, tony everhardt <n8wac@...> wrote:
            >

            > I need Alaska for my WAS. Anybody here want to try a schedule with me before the dx season fades away? If any takers email me off line at natewac@...
            >
            > N8WAC,Tony

          • Ed Wilson
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
              I found it very helpful in getting Alaska on 80 meters to use PSKreporter to see when the Alaska stations were on the air (I probably will never get it on 160 meters as I only have a very inefficient indoor antenna). One of the issues is the aurora which makes it difficult for them to punch through to the eastern US during hours when 160 or 80 meters is open over the path. At least with PSKreporter you can see if any stations are active when you are on the air.

              I also have had some luck sending emails directly to some people from Alaska and Hawaii to try to schedule contacts on the various bands.

              Ed, K0KC

              Don't hide under a blanket ... I could use KL7 on 160 as well
              to complete 9 band WAS. Although making it will be a bit of a
              challenge KL7 to Florida with only a 40' high trap inverted V,
              no receive antennas and less than 100W.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 1/9/2014 4:35 AM, tony everhardt wrote:
              > I should have stated I need my WAS on 160 meters. Any takers email me off line at natewac@...
              >
              > N8WAC
              >

              > On Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:02 AM, tony everhardt <n8wac@...> wrote:
              >

              > I need Alaska for my WAS. Anybody here want to try a schedule with me before the dx season fades away? If any takers email me off line at natewac@...
              >
              > N8WAC,Tony

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
                I am wondering if the Centennial W1AW operation might be helpful for that.  They will be in Alaska twice with a goal of working as many stations as possible.  Unfortunately that might mean they stay on 20 meters all day and night.  But there is a chance they might work 80 meters as well.

                That's the only contact I need for 5BWAS as well.  I've contacted many stations via email and never had success.  I believe polar absorption, which is VERY high at lower frequencies, is the reason why.  In fact as solar activity decreases, the odds of working Alaska from the East coast increases.

                Good luck to us all, but I could use Alaska on both 160 and 80 meters.

                73, Bob,WB4SON

              • Ed Wilson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
                  As I said in the previous post, I doubt if I ever work Alaska or Hawaii on 160 meters due to my antenna restrictions. I have worked about 35 states on 160, but not much west of the Mississippi river. I do not fire-up on 160 very often either.

                  Actually, I am having more trouble working the final seven states on 10 meters for JT65 7-band WAS (I guess the award would be 5BWAS with two endorsements). It seems like the missing states are just not far enough away to get them on 10 meters. Maybe I will get lucky with some sporadic-E propagation in the spring!

                  Ed, K0KC

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 9, 2014
                    I almost made the contact last year. The station could hear me but I couldn't pull him out of the noise. So I purchased and installed a K9AY rx antenna. I have been watching the DX clusters and PSK reporter with nothing but 1 station that was gone by the time I hit the shack. I've stayed up most of the night and up as early as 3:00 am EST. This is all working 60 plus hours a week. Ignorance, persistence, dedication??? Hey I'm a ham :) I'll get it some day.

                    N8WAC,Tony