Decode sticking

  • Bryan Young
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2013
      Until recently I have been running concurrently  two copies of WSJT-X V1.2 r3563 for different bands both working and decoding.
      Having now tried r3590 I find that only one copy will run at a time.
      As soon as the second copy is loaded the first copy sticks on decode. If this is then restarted it will then work but the other copy will stick on decode.
      Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so is there a fix?
      O.S. is Win8 and compatibility mode set for XP SP3

      --
      Regards,

      B. P. Young

      http://lets-learn.eu

      Tel: 01792 301042      Mob: 07989 327070

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and /or privileged material. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
    • Keith Heimbold
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2013
        Recently had to transition to a FT920 that I had in my collection for various personal economic reasons and I am trying to get this older rig working with digital programs. It is a bit trickier than the K3 I had to sell. What do I have to do to get the FT920 to work with WSJT. So far I am able to get it to decode but it won't transmit.

        I received information from the MicroHam yahoo group that there might be an inherent issue on how the FT920 transmits digital output in AFSK in lower sideband. Is there a work around that someone has figured out?

        Thanks & 73 & Happy New Year!

        Keith
        AK6ZZ
      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2013
          Keith,

          > I received information from the MicroHam yahoo group that there might
          > be an inherent issue on how the FT920 transmits digital output in
          > AFSK in lower sideband.

          As I told you previously, check the Yaesu Technical Bulletin on the
          FT-920 and digital modes available at:
          http://www.wm7d.net/hamradio/yaesu_pages/ft920/problems/rtty_note.html

          From the Technical Bulletin and Instruction Manual, set the slide
          switch on the back of the FT-920 for AFSK, use DATA-USB, and make
          sure you have set the internal menus: U-46 to 1700-U (1700 Hz center
          in upper sideband) and U-45 to 0.000 (to display "carrier" frequency).

          This will cause a minor inconvenience for RTTY (AFSK) since you will
          need to use AFSK in *USB* and the display will show carrier instead
          of Mark. However, HRD and fldigi will relatively accommodate to that
          configuration while MMTTY can accommodate it with minor adjustments.
          The biggest issue will be any spotting ...

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 12/29/2013 9:30 AM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
          > Recently had to transition to a FT920 that I had in my collection for
          > various personal economic reasons and I am trying to get this older
          > rig working with digital programs. It is a bit trickier than the K3 I
          > had to sell. What do I have to do to get the FT920 to work with WSJT.
          > So far I am able to get it to decode but it won't transmit.
          >
          > I received information from the MicroHam yahoo group that there might
          > be an inherent issue on how the FT920 transmits digital output in
          > AFSK in lower sideband. Is there a work around that someone has
          > figured out?
          >
          > Thanks & 73 & Happy New Year!
          >
          > Keith AK6ZZ

          > Yahoo Groups Links

        • Bruce Junkin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2013
            Hello Keith,

            I ran an FT-920 for several years on 6M WSJT, and HF RTTY (using TrueTTY software), and it worked well until the radio developed a problem, that I suspect was from I operated portable and had an antenna come down thru the tent and the radio got a rained on (worked for a couple of years after that incident). However, here are the menu settings that I used that allowed transmit on USB.  Though I ran a SignaLink USB sound card, and don’t know how the micro-ham works, this is what worked for me.

            Be sure that the AFSK / FSK switch on the rear of the radio is on AFSK.  Then, go into the menu mode, and go to Menu #46 (Paket Sub-carrier frequency).  I like to use 1700 hz, but if you want a wider or lesser bandwidth, change to whatever your preference is.  This menu allows either USB or LSB.  So, my radio was set at 1700 U, or 1700 Hz USB.  After changing menu #46, hit enter to save that setting. Then, go to menu #45 (packet frequency display offset) and dial to 0.  If you do not change to “0”, your xmit frequency will be off.  Also, if you change menu 45 first, then change menu 46, you will have to go back to menu 45 and dial that down to 0 again, so be sure to change menu 46 first.

            Also, this may allow tx on either USB or DATA.  I used the DATA mode, with the sound card plugged into the data connector in the rear.  Be sure to monitor your ALC reading, or else you may over-drive the radio and cause distortion.  Hope this helps.  GL and 73.

            Bruce, KI7JA

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2013
              Hi Bruce & Joe,

              Thanks to you both. The memory setting nuance is something that I am sure will be helpful knowing. Every bit of this is an adventure with this older transceiver. I am still trying to make room for it on my desk where the K3 used to sit. It takes up a lot of space. Lol.

              73 & Thanks,

              Keith
              AK6ZZ

              Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2013
                On 12/29/2013 7:33 AM, Bryan Young wrote:
                > Until recently I have been running concurrently two copies of WSJT-X V1.2
                > r3563 for different bands both working and decoding.
                > Having now tried r3590 I find that only one copy will run at a time.
                > As soon as the second copy is loaded the first copy sticks on decode. If
                > this is then restarted it will then work but the other copy will stick on
                > decode.
                > Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so is there a fix?
                > O.S. is Win8 and compatibility mode set for XP SP3

                Select the option Setup | Advanced | Allow multiple instances. (You
                must have done this with r3563, no changes have been made in this
                behavior for some time.)