WSJTX does strange things

  • signalhz@1791.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2013
      It has shut down on it's own.
      It shuts down during qso's.
      After a shut down during a qso the qso was logged on the wrong band.
      When it shuts down it loses all the settings and reverts to the previous
      band and settings.
      Sometimes but not often it don't key on time. I've seen it key late from
      about 5 seconds to 20 seconds late.
      It don't seem to keep a record of call signs and grid squares
      consistently when using the Add button.
      Sometimes decodes the same station several times in one time period.
      Version 1.2.1 r3590

      That's all for now.

      73 Eddy N4ABN
    • Dave 'Doc' Corio
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2013
        Eddy, many of the symptoms you describe are the same ones happening
        here. My vers. 3590 also shuts down unexpectedly, and when restarted
        reverts to whatever settings were present the last time I closed the
        program normally.

        As to decoding a station multiple times, I see that as well, but
        I don't believe it is a bug. I believe it is simply an overload in your
        sound card from a particularly strong station. Best suggestion for that
        is to turn off your AGC and reduce your RF gain. On my IC-746, for WSJT
        modes I turn the RF gain down from the 12 O'clock position (full on) to
        the 9 O'clock position (1/2 level). Also, make sure your volume
        indicator on the lower left of wsjt-x isn't running too high.

        I've been chasing the phantom shut-down bug for a couple of weeks
        now and haven't made any progress. I saw a post earlier today regarding
        the possibility that the USB ports were being shut down by the OS (Win 7
        in my case) as if they were idle. I went in to my power management on
        the PC, and, in fact, they WERE showing that they were set to be shut
        down to conserve power, so I have changed that setting, and testing now
        to see if it has any effect.

        Incidentally, my crashes happen at two different times. First, when
        I change bands, although not every time, and second, when I reply to a
        CQ and the app goes into transmit mode - again, not every time. I have
        never had a crash in the middle of a QSO.

        As a side note, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this: When
        changing bands, either by selecting another band or clicking the + 2kHz,
        my VFOs flash between the A and B about 5 times before it settles on the
        new frequencies. I don't know if this is symptomatic of the problem or
        the way it's supposed to work.

        Tnx es 73
        Doc
        KB3MOW

        ---
      • Tony VK2AJF
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2013
          Hi Dave & Developers

          I experience all the same symptoms you describe in detail. Ie when changing frequency, either within the band or to another band, the VFOs flash between A and B several times before settling (strangely) on B for RX. On regular occasions when changing freqs like this the program crashes (WSJT-X v3590, using built-in CAT control, ZLP CAT cable, IC-746, IC-706IIG, Signalink, I7 notebook Win 7 & I7 desktop Win 8).

          There is definitely something buggy with the CAT control.

          Otherwise it is a pleasure to use!

          Thanks & Cheers,

          Tony VK2AJF

          On Tuesday, December 24, 2013, Dave 'Doc' Corio wrote:

[...]

          Sent from Gmail Mobile