Odd free text translation

  • joe_katz
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2013
      Last night I typed "EA8/RW3DO 73" into the WSJT-X free message box, but the program transmitted "RW3DO 3W/73". Huh?  Where did that come from? I have no such macro, and anyway the free message box did not change, just the transmitted text.

      FYI that was at the end of a 6,000 mile QSO between California and the Canary Islands on 40 Meters, close to midnight local time.  He gave me a -10db report, but I was using fifty watts not three.

      73 de Joe K6ATZ
    • joe_katz

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2013
            Hi Joe,
            K6ATZ wrote:

            >Last night I typed "EA8/RW3DO 73" into the WSJT-X free message box,
            > but the program transmitted "RW3DO 3W/73". Huh? Where did that
            > come from?

            Your message fails because it uses a compound callsign but is not one of
            the six defined formats that support use of such a callsign.

            Legitimate formats with compound callsigns are described on page 13 of
            the WSJT-X User's Guide,
            http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT-X_Users_Guide_v1.2.pdf

            Arguably, WSJT-X should recognize that you have tried to send something
            that it cannot support as a structured message, and send it as free text
            instead. Perhaps we will program such recognition in the future.

            In the meantime, the onus is on you: if you want to use a compound
            callsign in a message be sure to either

            1. use one of the supported formats

            or

            2. send something like "EA8-RW3DO 73" instead of "EA8/RW3DO 73"

            At present the "/" character implies that you are sending a compound
            callsign.

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT
          • joe_katz
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 18, 2013

              Thanks Joe! Up to you if you want to treat this as a bug/defect report, as the result was an unexpected message saying I was using 3 watts, but it was after all a case of "garbage in" to begin with, hi. But also I'd like to offer a feature request which would be less dev work as well: based on how many users are trying to push the envelope in certain other software, using the free-format message for contest exchanges, jokes, and my little faux pas above, perhaps that input box could simply be limited to 13 characters with no processing at all. Thanks for your time, and thank you for all that you do!

              73 de Joe K6ATZ

              ---In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <joe@...> wrote:

              Hi Joe,