Wide Graph Display - enhancement

  • listbox2
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013

        I very much enjoy WSJT-X and use it almost exclusively now.  The dual JT65/JT9 really works well!  It is quite stable on my Windows 7 box along with DXLab

        Would it be possible, however, to move up the zero line for the Cumulative display?  As I adjust Gain, Zero, and Slope, I get the best looking display with most of the display out of sight below the visible area and signal peaks visible above the “zero” line.  If I adjust it so that I can see most of the graph above zero, my waterfall just “whites out” with noise, obscuring signals.

       If the graph zero line were about 1/3 the way up the graph display, then I could see the shape of the cumulative bandwidth better - thus bringing to my attention where I may have set my notch filter, or dsp width filter - without suffering the “white out” condition in the waterfall.

        Many thanks & 73

      -Bill, W2KKJ

    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
        > If the graph zero line were about 1/3 the way up the graph display,
        > then I could see the shape of the cumulative bandwidth better - thus
        > bringing to my attention where I may have set my notch filter, or dsp
        > width filter - without suffering the "white out" condition in the
        > waterfall.

        I find "cumulative" too slow to respond and use "current" ... whether
        you use cumulative or current it is always possible to adjust zero by
        +/- 100. If your "pedestal" is too high, simply adjust "zero" (to -#)
        to bring it down ... if it is too low, adjust zero (+#) to bring it up.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 10/6/2013 2:33 PM, listbox2 wrote:
        > I very much enjoy WSJT-X and use it almost exclusively now. The dual
        > JT65/JT9 really works well! It is quite stable on my Windows 7 box along
        > with DXLab
        >

        > Would it be possible, however, to move up the zero line for the Cumulative
        > display? As I adjust Gain, Zero, and Slope, I get the best looking display
        > with most of the display out of sight below the visible area and signal
        > peaks visible above the "zero" line. If I adjust it so that I can see most
        > of the graph above zero, my waterfall just "whites out" with noise,
        > obscuring signals.
        >

        > If the graph zero line were about 1/3 the way up the graph display, then I
        > could see the shape of the cumulative bandwidth better - thus bringing to my
        > attention where I may have set my notch filter, or dsp width filter -
        > without suffering the "white out" condition in the waterfall.
        >

        > Many thanks & 73
        >
        > -Bill, W2KKJ

      • listbox2
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
          Thanks, Joe. I like the cumulative display because the signal peaks are
          more easily seen compared to the noise. When I use cumulative and run the
          "zero" up so that I see the entire graph, the waterfall "whites out." So
          zero adjustment does not work for me there.

          I agree that using current, I can see the entire graph without destroying
          the waterfall - but my wish is to be able to see the cumulative graph "above
          ground." Maybe there is yet a knob I have not twiddled. Are you able to
          see the entire cumulative graph without affecting the waterfall?
          73
          -Bill W2KKJ

          > If the graph zero line were about 1/3 the way up the graph display,
          > then I could see the shape of the cumulative bandwidth better - thus
          > bringing to my attention where I may have set my notch filter, or dsp
          > width filter - without suffering the "white out" condition in the
          > waterfall.

          I find "cumulative" too slow to respond and use "current" ... whether you
          use cumulative or current it is always possible to adjust zero by
          +/- 100. If your "pedestal" is too high, simply adjust "zero" (to -#)
          to bring it down ... if it is too low, adjust zero (+#) to bring it up.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 10/6/2013 2:33 PM, listbox2 wrote:
          > I very much enjoy WSJT-X and use it almost exclusively now. The
          > dual
          > JT65/JT9 really works well! It is quite stable on my Windows 7 box
          > along with DXLab
          >

          > Would it be possible, however, to move up the zero line for the
          > Cumulative display? As I adjust Gain, Zero, and Slope, I get the best
          > looking display with most of the display out of sight below the
          > visible area and signal peaks visible above the "zero" line. If I
          > adjust it so that I can see most of the graph above zero, my waterfall
          > just "whites out" with noise, obscuring signals.
          >

          > If the graph zero line were about 1/3 the way up the graph display,
          > then I could see the shape of the cumulative bandwidth better - thus
          > bringing to my attention where I may have set my notch filter, or dsp
          > width filter - without suffering the "white out" condition in the
          waterfall.

          > Many thanks & 73
          >
          > -Bill, W2KKJ

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
            > When I use cumulative and run the "zero" up so that I see the entire
            > graph, the waterfall "whites out." So zero adjustment does not work
            > for me there.

            It doesn't work that way for me ... don't know why your situation would
            be different.

            I set-up WSJT and the sound card as follows using Windows 7/Windows 8:

            I set "level" in the Windows driver (Level tab for the input device in
            Windows Control Panel) to 80. I preset the "Line Out" in my K3 to 10
            and set the input control on my interface to 0 (fully CCW). I then
            adjust audio input control of WSJT for 0 dB.

            With those settings, and *no antenna* (or dummy load), I adjust the
            input pot of my interface until the WSJT level display (lower left)
            shows between 15 and 20 dB - on just the "noise floor" of the rig.
            When I connect an antenna, the WSJT level indicator will generally
            show about 30 dB on 20 meters between x:49 and x:59 (absent any CW
            ID). The strongest audio will generally run up to 50 - 55 dB and peak
            signals will be roughly 10 dB *below* clipping level of my sound card.

            With that configuration I show a nice variation from back with no
            signal through orange to white on the strongest signals with Zero at 0
            for "Current" or zero at +5 for "Cumulative". Note: I use the LINRAD
            palette since that is most "familiar" to me from other software. I
            also turn off AGC in my receiver.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

          • listbox2
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
              Thanks, Joe. I will experiment more with sound settings in combination with
              WSJTX settings. Since you are able to see the entire cumulative graph
              "above ground" then I should be able to as well. With my current settings,
              I can't let the signal get above about 30 db with waterfall whiteout
              beginning - and that is pretty much independent of the type of display I am
              using. I have been using Linrad and Default mostly.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
                Joe,
                Well, I just cannot find any adjustment that gives me the kind of display
                behavior that you describe using the cumulative option. On my installation,
                any part of the graph that shows above the "zero" also shows on the
                waterfall. If my entire graph is visible, then the waterfall has a strong
                background of light that tends to obscure weak signals. If I run my graph
                so the baseline is just out of sight and only the signals peek into view,
                then the waterfall is mostly dark with just the signals visible.

                What settings are you using for Gain, Zero, Slope etc.? Maybe I have not
                found the sweet spot. The way my wsjtx is working, I still feel that I'd
                like a way to have the "zero" line for the graph be about 1/3 of the way up
                the graph scale.

                73,
                -Bill, W2KKJ

                > When I use cumulative and run the "zero" up so that I see the entire
                > graph, the waterfall "whites out." So zero adjustment does not work
                > for me there.

                It doesn't work that way for me ... don't know why your situation would be
                different.

                I set-up WSJT and the sound card as follows using Windows 7/Windows 8:

                I set "level" in the Windows driver (Level tab for the input device in
                Windows Control Panel) to 80. I preset the "Line Out" in my K3 to 10 and
                set the input control on my interface to 0 (fully CCW). I then adjust audio
                input control of WSJT for 0 dB.

                With those settings, and *no antenna* (or dummy load), I adjust the input
                pot of my interface until the WSJT level display (lower left) shows between
                15 and 20 dB - on just the "noise floor" of the rig.
                When I connect an antenna, the WSJT level indicator will generally show
                about 30 dB on 20 meters between x:49 and x:59 (absent any CW ID). The
                strongest audio will generally run up to 50 - 55 dB and peak signals will be
                roughly 10 dB *below* clipping level of my sound card.

                With that configuration I show a nice variation from back with no signal
                through orange to white on the strongest signals with Zero at 0 for
                "Current" or zero at +5 for "Cumulative". Note: I use the LINRAD palette
                since that is most "familiar" to me from other software. I also turn off
                AGC in my receiver.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

              • Rudy Benner
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
                  Slope 0, zero +1, gain –1. On the other panel, I adjust the input slider so I start to see the noise floor on the waterfall. YMMV.

                  Also, I use bin/pixel 3 and N Avg 1

                  I use 2 monitors, the waterfall is on the “other” monitor and takes up most of the available space.

                  ve3bdr

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
                    gain = 0, slope = 0.3, N Avg 5, Bins/Pixel = 7

                    In cumulative, by "baseline" is about two major divisions up (20 db?)
                    and in current, it is one major division above the bottom.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                  • listbox2
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
                      Thanks Joe and Rudy. That did it. I was way away from those settings. I
                      was working OK, but had the zero about +66, the Gain at 2, and the slope was
                      fairly high as well. It gave me a nice flat response - but also limited
                      what I could see of the graph. Now I have what I need.
                      You got me back on track.
                      73,
                      -Bill, W2KKJ

                      gain = 0, slope = 0.3, N Avg 5, Bins/Pixel = 7

                      In cumulative, by "baseline" is about two major divisions up (20 db?) and in
                      current, it is one major division above the bottom.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                      On 10/8/2013 11:16 AM, listbox2 wrote:
                      > Joe,
                      > Well, I just cannot find any adjustment that gives me the kind of
                      > display behavior that you describe using the cumulative option. On my
                      > installation, any part of the graph that shows above the "zero" also
                      > shows on the waterfall. If my entire graph is visible, then the
                      > waterfall has a strong background of light that tends to obscure weak
                      > signals. If I run my graph so the baseline is just out of sight and
                      > only the signals peek into view, then the waterfall is mostly dark with
                      just the signals visible.

                      > What settings are you using for Gain, Zero, Slope etc.? Maybe I
                      > have not found the sweet spot. The way my wsjtx is working, I still
                      > feel that I'd like a way to have the "zero" line for the graph be
                      > about 1/3 of the way up the graph scale.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > -Bill, W2KKJ

                    • Rudy Benner
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 8, 2013
                        Fee is $50, cash only

                        ve3bdr

                        Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:18 PM
                        > To: listbox2
                        > Cc: WSJT
                        Group
                        > Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] Wide Graph Display -
                        enhancement

                        >> When I use cumulative and run the "zero"
                        up so that I see the entire
                        >> graph, the waterfall "whites out." So
                        zero adjustment does not work
                        >> for me there.
                        >
                        > It
                        doesn't work that way for me ... don't know why your situation
                        > would be
                        different.

                        > I set-up WSJT and the sound card as follows using
                        Windows 7/Windows 8:

                        > I set "level" in the Windows driver (Level
                        tab for the input device in
                        > Windows Control Panel) to 80. I preset the
                        "Line Out" in my K3 to 10
                        > and set the input control on my interface to
                        0 (fully CCW). I then
                        > adjust audio input control of WSJT for 0
                        dB.

                        > With those settings, and *no antenna* (or dummy load), I
                        adjust the
                        > input pot of my interface until the WSJT level display
                        (lower left)
                        > shows between
                        > 15 and 20 dB - on just the "noise
                        floor" of the rig.
                        > When I connect an antenna, the WSJT level indicator
                        will generally
                        > show about 30 dB on 20 meters between x:49 and x:59
                        (absent any CW
                        > ID). The strongest audio will generally run up to 50 -
                        55 dB and peak
                        > signals will be roughly 10 dB *below* clipping level of
                        my sound card.

                        > With that configuration I show a nice variation
                        from back with no
                        > signal through orange to white on the strongest
                        signals with Zero at 0
                        > for "Current" or zero at +5 for "Cumulative".
                        Note: I use the LINRAD
                        > palette since that is most "familiar" to me from
                        other software. I
                        > also turn off AGC in my receiver.

                        73,

                        > ... Joe,