RE: Release 3587 - Return Code 602

  • g4wjs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2013
      Hopefully this time I will actually manage to post to the list!

      Hi John,

      That is surprising because that error message should only be possible on program startup. Unfortunately the
      code is a generic one and doesn't tell us the actual reason for the error.

      Is it possible you have multiple instances of WSJT-X running at the same time?

      I'm fairly sure that the code in question hasn't been verified on Windows 8.1 so that might be related to the
      problem. Posting here to the list to ask if anyone else is using Windows 8.1 preview and seeing this issue?

      73

      Bill

      G4WJS.

      ---In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <n1isa@...> wrote:

      Joe,

      I've experienced 3 instances of WSJT-X crashing. WSJT-X must be closed, with a return error code... "Kill By Name Code: 602".

      Twice this occurred while in the middle of a QSO, and once while idling (RX and decoding).

      My early feedback would suggest it MIGHT be when I select "RRR" for TX, but I am not sure, but again... it did crash just receiving, and decoding.

      I run Windows 8.1 Preview.

      I will say this... blue decode is gone, and program closure is normal.

      73, John, N1ISA

    • chas cartmel
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2013

        I wonder if the installation is in a “Program Files” folder? The recommendation is to install elsewhere as installation in these ‘protected’ folders often causes issues.

        73

        Charlie

        www.G4EST.me.uk

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2013
          Hi John,

          as you have discovered Windows exception 0xC0000005 is a general code, in fact I'm not even sure it is specifically related to permissions.

          The 602 error is coming from a component of WSJT-X, that component doesn't fetch the actual error code that caused the problem so without modifying the source code we cannot easily determine the exact cause.

          As you are having success running with administrator rights; then your issue may be related to a permissions issue, but in general there should be no need to run WSJT-X with administrator rights.

          I would not recommend running WSJT-X as administrator as that is more likely to cause problems than solve them. We need to find the root cause of your specific issue.

          The error is generated when WSJT-X tries to kill a process left over from a prior run of WSJT-X, the process is running the program "JT9.EXE" which is part of the message decoding sub-system. So it would seem in your case there is a rogue "JT9.EXE" process running that WSJT-X doesn't have permission to kill. This is a dual issue, (1) why isn't the process getting shutdown properly in the first place and (2) why isn't a new instance of WSJT-X able to kill it.

          In your case I would recommend a re-boot of Windows to ensure any "JT9.EXE" processes that are running are disposed of. Then start WSJT-X from a non-administrator account as usual.

          The no decode issues on Vista are most definitely not related to this issue, we have identified that on Vista the latest version is getting distorted audio input and this is probably due to  Windows Vista audio stack defect.

          Again, I would not recommend running WSJT-X as administrator.

          P.S. one possible reason for having to use elevated rights to run WSJT-X is if the program has been installed in a "protected" folder like the "Program Files (x86)" directory. This is because Windows since Vista disallows processes run by non-privileged users from writing to those folders and their children. WSJT-X writes to the installation folder. This is not a defect; simply WSJT-X must be installed in a "non-protected" folder such as the default offered by the installer.

          Hope this helps & 73

          *************************************************************************************************************

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2013
            Hi John and all,

            N1ISA wrote:
            > I sincerely apologize if my early comments about the admin right has caused the
            > development group difficulty. I should qualify my statements. I will with future
            > betas. Offering feedback, and solutions in real time might not be the best thing.

            No need for any apologies -- we fully appreciate all user input.

            Keep in mind that we are continuing to add new features to WSJT-X --
            some providing new capabilities visible for users, others mainly to
            improve program maintainability. We are making beta releases with these
            enhanced features fairly regularly, knowing that there will sometimes be
            bugs.

            For those mainly interested in making QSOs, as opposed to helping the
            production of a bullet-proof program: you can always avoid the beta
            releases and stick with the latest "full release". Presently that means
            using Version 1.1, r3496.

            If you don't mind occasional snags, by all means help us out by using
            the beta releases and sending us detailed reports on anything that
            doesn't seem to work right. The most useful reports include as much
            information as possible on how to reproduce the bug, or what event(s)
            seemed to cause it to happen.