MSRX--An Improved Receiver for FSK441

  • Les Rayburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
      My earlier question asking if anyone was using the MSRX sofftware
      package for meteor scatter work received only two replies, but one of
      those was very informative. The software was developed by Klaus der
      Heide, DJ5HG. I learned about it from a recent article in DUBUS
      magazine, which is published in Germany, and widely read by VHF
      operators. The software can be downloaded freely at:

      http://www.dj5hg.de/dj5hg_download.html

      At least a few amateurs are using it in conjunction with WSJT here in
      the states. Both programs can run at the same time on your computer,
      allowing you to achieve a kind of "diversity" reception. My experience
      is limited, but I do find that MSRX will frequently decode marginal
      pings better than WSJT. I also heard from Bryan, N3HJX who included some
      image files. I can't reproduce those in this e-mail, but I think the
      text is worth sharing:

      Yes, I sure do use MSRX quite a bit. It definitely helps decode some
      of the tougher pings on FSK441. I am sure you have tried "clicking
      around" in WSJT's SpecJT to try to get a meaningful decode on a ping,
      and adjusting DF and S up or down to see if you can find the magic
      settings to get a good decode. MSRX, in contrast, will automatically
      find and decode valid text without all the fuss. Compared to default
      WSJT settings with no "clicking around", it is much better.

      Attached are saved decode logs from past QSOs. The "darkness" of the
      text indicates confidence, while the highlight indicates the test
      matches the filter text entered at the top of the window. I usually
      run with my call, "his" call, and "26" in the filters.

      I do run PSK2K as well, but not nearly as often since there are fewer
      users of it. I run it most often with N5TM and WA3LBI. It works well
      for me, but I know others have trouble with it
      due to sound card stability problems.

      73,
      - Bryan, N3HJX

      My hope is that we'll see more experimention with both MSRX and PSK2k
      here in the US. If you decide to try the software, I'd love to hear
      about your experiences with it too. See you on the rocks!

      -

      Les Rayburn, N1LF
      121 Mayfair Park
      Maylene, AL 35114
      EM63nf

      6M VUCC #1712
      AMSAT #38965
      Grid Bandits #222
      Southeastern VHF Society
      Central States VHF Society Life Member
      Six Club #2484

      Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light
    • rupertdetonquedec
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013

         Hi Les

        I did install the MSRX programme, but I have a question.

        My understanding from what you said is that it can receive and decode FSK "live" in parallel with WSJT.

        However, as far as I can tell, it will only work on recordings "after the event".

        Am I missing something?

        Also, the example files provided on the website are in .ogg format, but the software only accepts wav files, which is a little odd.

        Thanks for your help

        John

        GW4MBN

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013
          That's a great question. MSRX does not decode "live" like WSJT, but can
          be configured to do immediately after each sequence. So it's kind of
          like the old Steely Dan song, "FM", which had the lyric, "Respect the
          seven second delay we use".

          You can configure MSRX to read the last .wav file received directly from
          the WSJT folder. The delay is just a few seconds.

          In practical terms, I keep both open during a meteor scatter session. I
          look for pings on WSJT and click on the spectrum for decodes per usual.
          A few seconds after each sequence, while my rig is transmitting, MSRX
          will pop up with any decodes that it got. Since there is no clicking or
          adjustment possible in MSRX, you basically get a go or no-go for launch.

          My experience is that usually MSRX decodes slight better than WSJT,
          especially on marginal pings. But there are exceptions. I've seen solid
          decodes on WSJT that didn't decode at all on MSRX. Why? You'd have to
          ask Joe or Claus...most of the math is over my head.

          Give it a try and report back your results here. Very interested in
          hearing what others think.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2013

              Now that I've had a decent session with MSRX and understand whats happening, I must say, I am quite impressed. Thanks folks for bringing it to my attention.

              The software is designed to run by the side of WSJT9 to help decode FSK. It will also decode any PSK2k which may be around but I haven't tested that yet.

              I suppose you could say it "looks over the shoulder" of WSJT and confirms and sometimes gives a second opinion on weak decodes.

              It uses varying degrees of opaque-ness in the display to show the level of decoding confidence, with red for 100% certainty which is very helpful. I like the way it picks out the "good bits" from the decode attempt on a very weak reflection. It also produces a text file after each session which displays everything you need to know about the QSO.

              I recommend all meteor scatter enthusiasts should try this. Don't be put off by the slight quirkiness of it - for example, when you first run it, it takes a while to compile itself with Matlab (in my case, about ten minutes), but it only needs to do this once. Next time you run it, it comes up straight away.

              Also, the decode display uses Open GL - which can be fussy on older systems.

              Read the manual- at least twice, the operating instructions are in the last paragraph.

              I am currently trying to crack a couple of plus-2000km MS contacts on 70Mhz and I look forward to using this in anger next week when hopefully the Draconids will put in an appearance.

              John

              GW4MBN