Re: [wsjtgroup] Is Stuck-Decode fixed yet?

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013
      Joe,

      I've seen it on my Win 7 system (the one that surfaced the audio
      priority issue). Some answers to your questions ...

      > Does it happen on initial program startup, say at the time of the
      > first decode attempt?

      Yes. If it happens it will happen at that time.

      > Or at some other time, after you have been operating for a while?
      > Etc., etc.

      I can't prove a negative but I have never seen a "hang in decode"
      once WSJT-X has successfully decoded the first period.

      I am not sure but I suspect the issue is related to a sound card
      (audio) initialization as I can't remember seeing activity in the
      waterfall (wide graph) when WSJT-X r3563 is "stuck in decode."
      Unfortunately, I have developed the habit of starting JTAlert-x
      which in turn launches WSJT-X when I start the computer but do
      not generally look at it for some time. Since this is always a
      "one off" condition - restarting WSJT-X clears the problem - it
      is difficult to spot a trend.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 9/27/2013 9:57 AM, Joe Taylor wrote:
      > Hi Thomas, Bob, and all,
      >
      > It's not a low priority, but our hard-working group of volunteer
      > programmers do have other responsibilities and obligations, beside the
      > hobby that we all enjoy. I myself have been traveling recently, and
      > this will be true for several more weeks as well. And the next two days
      > are the "microwave weekend" of the ARRL EME contest, so I will not be
      > doing any more WSJT-X work until next week.
      >
      > None of us in the active WSJT-X development group have been able to
      > reproduce the "Stuck-Decode" bug that is bothering you. I have NEVER
      > seen it, and I run WSJT-X nearly 24/7, at least receiving.
      >
      > So... as with all program bugs: if you can document a way to force the
      > bug to exhibit itself, or at least make it much more likely to appear,
      > please do so. Does it happen on initial program startup, say at the
      > time of the first decode attempt? Or at some other time, after you have
      > been operating for a while? Etc., etc.
      >
      > Without some information of this kind, it's very hard for us to guess
      > why you see the unwanted behavior and we do not.
      >
      > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
      >
      > On 9/27/2013 9:46 AM, Thomas F Giella W4HM wrote:
      >> Bob I've requested this bug fix in v1.2 r3563 and one other bug twice in
      >> this eGroup and haven't even gotten a response never mind a fix. So I guess
      >> that it's a very low priority issue.
      >>
      >> 73,
      >> Thomas W4HM
      >>
      >> Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "KD7YZ Bob" two_eyed_jack01 Hey
      >> WSJT Group:
      >>
      >> About every third times I start WSJT-x I realize why I am not decoding
      >> and that the decode-button is stuck/blue .
      >>
      >> I try to remember to check that Decode-button often but still forget.
      >>
      >> Is there a work-around yet?

    • rupertdetonquedec
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013

         I often had the "stuck decode" syndrome with earlier betas, but not any longer with V1.2 r3563.

        (Win XP)

        John

        GW4MBN