Is Stuck-Decode fixed yet?

  • KD7YZ Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2013
      Hey WSJT Group:

      About every third times I start WSJT-x I realize why I am not decoding
      and that the decode-button is stuck/blue .

      I try to remember to check that Decode-button often but still forget.

      Is there a work-around yet?

      Bob KD7YZ
      http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ
    • Thomas F Giella W4HM
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013
        Bob I've requested this bug fix in v1.2 r3563 and one other bug twice in
        this eGroup and haven't even gotten a response never mind a fix. So I guess
        that it's a very low priority issue.

        73,
        Thomas W4HM

        Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "KD7YZ Bob" two_eyed_jack01 Hey

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013
          Hi Thomas, Bob, and all,

          It's not a low priority, but our hard-working group of volunteer
          programmers do have other responsibilities and obligations, beside the
          hobby that we all enjoy. I myself have been traveling recently, and
          this will be true for several more weeks as well. And the next two days
          are the "microwave weekend" of the ARRL EME contest, so I will not be
          doing any more WSJT-X work until next week.

          None of us in the active WSJT-X development group have been able to
          reproduce the "Stuck-Decode" bug that is bothering you. I have NEVER
          seen it, and I run WSJT-X nearly 24/7, at least receiving.

          So... as with all program bugs: if you can document a way to force the
          bug to exhibit itself, or at least make it much more likely to appear,
          please do so. Does it happen on initial program startup, say at the
          time of the first decode attempt? Or at some other time, after you have
          been operating for a while? Etc., etc.

          Without some information of this kind, it's very hard for us to guess
          why you see the unwanted behavior and we do not.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT

          On 9/27/2013 9:46 AM, Thomas F Giella W4HM wrote:
          > Bob I've requested this bug fix in v1.2 r3563 and one other bug twice in
          > this eGroup and haven't even gotten a response never mind a fix. So I guess
          > that it's a very low priority issue.
          >
          > 73,
          > Thomas W4HM
          >
          > Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "KD7YZ Bob" two_eyed_jack01 Hey
          > WSJT Group:
          >
          > About every third times I start WSJT-x I realize why I am not decoding
          > and that the decode-button is stuck/blue .
          >
          > I try to remember to check that Decode-button often but still forget.
          >
          > Is there a work-around yet?

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013
            Joe,

            I've seen it on my Win 7 system (the one that surfaced the audio
            priority issue). Some answers to your questions ...

            > Does it happen on initial program startup, say at the time of the
            > first decode attempt?

            Yes. If it happens it will happen at that time.

            > Or at some other time, after you have been operating for a while?
            > Etc., etc.

            I can't prove a negative but I have never seen a "hang in decode"
            once WSJT-X has successfully decoded the first period.

            I am not sure but I suspect the issue is related to a sound card
            (audio) initialization as I can't remember seeing activity in the
            waterfall (wide graph) when WSJT-X r3563 is "stuck in decode."
            Unfortunately, I have developed the habit of starting JTAlert-x
            which in turn launches WSJT-X when I start the computer but do
            not generally look at it for some time. Since this is always a
            "one off" condition - restarting WSJT-X clears the problem - it
            is difficult to spot a trend.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 9/27/2013 9:57 AM, Joe Taylor wrote:
            > Hi Thomas, Bob, and all,
            >
            > It's not a low priority, but our hard-working group of volunteer
            > programmers do have other responsibilities and obligations, beside the
            > hobby that we all enjoy. I myself have been traveling recently, and
            > this will be true for several more weeks as well. And the next two days
            > are the "microwave weekend" of the ARRL EME contest, so I will not be
            > doing any more WSJT-X work until next week.
            >
            > None of us in the active WSJT-X development group have been able to
            > reproduce the "Stuck-Decode" bug that is bothering you. I have NEVER
            > seen it, and I run WSJT-X nearly 24/7, at least receiving.
            >
            > So... as with all program bugs: if you can document a way to force the
            > bug to exhibit itself, or at least make it much more likely to appear,
            > please do so. Does it happen on initial program startup, say at the
            > time of the first decode attempt? Or at some other time, after you have
            > been operating for a while? Etc., etc.
            >
            > Without some information of this kind, it's very hard for us to guess
            > why you see the unwanted behavior and we do not.
            >
            > -- 73, Joe, K1JT
            >
            > On 9/27/2013 9:46 AM, Thomas F Giella W4HM wrote:
            >> Bob I've requested this bug fix in v1.2 r3563 and one other bug twice in
            >> this eGroup and haven't even gotten a response never mind a fix. So I guess
            >> that it's a very low priority issue.
            >>
            >> 73,
            >> Thomas W4HM
            >>
            >> Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "KD7YZ Bob" two_eyed_jack01 Hey
            >> WSJT Group:
            >>
            >> About every third times I start WSJT-x I realize why I am not decoding
            >> and that the decode-button is stuck/blue .
            >>
            >> I try to remember to check that Decode-button often but still forget.
            >>
            >> Is there a work-around yet?

          • rupertdetonquedec
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013

               I often had the "stuck decode" syndrome with earlier betas, but not any longer with V1.2 r3563.

              (Win XP)

              John

              GW4MBN