Transmit Interruption When Switching Apps

  • Ed Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
      Joe and Team,

      I just started using WSJT-X v 1.2 r3563 again after testing it for a while when it was first released. I have noticed that if I switch to another Windows application that has been minimized to the "tray" (such as my log software) while WSJT-X is transmitting, the audio output is apparently interrupted and the transmitter output drops to zero briefly. I do not know if this interruption is enough to cause my signal to not be decoded, but this behavior was not observed in previous versions. If I switch between two applications that have not been minimized, the problem is not apparent.

      Ed, K0KC
    • Brian D
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
        Ed Wilson <ed.wilson@...> wrote:

        > Joe and Team,
        >
        > I just started using WSJT-X v 1.2 r3563 again after testing it for a while
        > when it was first released. I have noticed that if I switch to another
        > Windows application that has been minimized to the "tray" (such as my log
        > software) while WSJT-X is transmitting, the audio output is apparently
        > interrupted and the transmitter output drops to zero briefly. I do not
        > know if this interruption is enough to cause my signal to not be decoded,
        > but this behavior was not observed in previous versions. If I switch
        > between two applications that have not been minimized, the problem is not
        > apparent.

        I have noticed this too, not sure if it affects TX, I try not to open
        windows whilst in qso just in case.

        --
        Brian D
        G3VGZ
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
          K0KC wrote:

          > I just started using WSJT-X v 1.2 r3563 again after testing
          > it for a while when it was first released. I have noticed
          > that if I switch to another Windows application that has
          > been minimized to the "tray" (such as my log software)
          > while WSJT-X is transmitting, the audio output is apparently
          > interrupted and the transmitter output drops to zero briefly.
          > I do not know if this interruption is enough to cause my
          > signal to not be decoded, but this behavior was not observed
          > in previous versions. If I switch between two applications
          > that have not been minimized, the problem is not apparent.

          This is a known problem, related to our change from using PortAudio to
          the audio features built into Qt.

          We in the developers group have been busy with other tasks recently, but
          we'll get back to solving it as soon as we can find the time.

          -- Joe, K1JT
        • Ed Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
            Thanks Joe...already sent some info regarding my setup to Bill, G4WJS at his request.

            Ed, K0KC

            > I just started using WSJT-X v 1.2 r3563 again after testing
            > it for a while when it was first released. I have noticed
            > that if I switch to another Windows application that has
            > been minimized to the "tray" (such as my log software)
            > while WSJT-X is transmitting, the audio output is apparently
            > interrupted and the transmitter output drops to zero briefly.
            > I do not know if this interruption is enough to cause my
            > signal to not be decoded, but this behavior was not observed
            > in previous versions. If I switch between two applications
            > that have not been minimized, the problem is not apparent.

            This is a known problem, related to our change from using PortAudio to
            the audio features built into Qt.

            We in the developers group have been busy with other tasks recently, but
            we'll get back to solving it as soon as we can find the time.

            -- Joe, K1JT

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
              It is likely that you are using the Windows "system" sound card for
              all audio and the program being opened (or Windows) generates a sound
              or attempts to access the sound card during the process of opening.
              This can result in a short interruption of the WSJT-X audio output.

              It is far better to use a *second sound card* for any application that
              is connected to the transceiver. This prevents interruptions and more
              importantly prevents "Windows Noises", streaming audio, etc. from being
              broadcast even accidentally. It takes only a few minutes listening to
              hear more than one accidental audio incident - and there are some users
              who have sound effects on every over.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
                Joe,

                Actually at the moment, I am using an external SignalLink USB soundcard with my Flex-6700 and have observed the problem. It is also apparent when I use Virtual Audio Cables with my Flex-5000. My system sound card is used with JTAlert and Windows system sound effects are turned-off.

                Ed, K0KC

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
                  I've run multiple tests here (Windows 7/64, external USB sound card,
                  WSJT-X v1.2 r3563) with *no* audio interruption when making a hidden
                  window active or starting another application as long as the USB sound
                  card was *neither* the "Default Device" or the "Default Communication
                  Device."

                  73,

                  ... Joe, W4TV

                  On 9/26/2013 6:47 PM, Dell - W2DX wrote:
                  > I observe this same issue and I use an external USB audio device dedicated
                  > for all digital work while dedicating the built-in laptop sound device for
                  > Windows sounds.
                  >

                  > 73,
                  >
                  > Dell - W2DX

                • Dell - W2DX
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013

                    It may be working fine for you, Joe, but I have noticed this audio interruption too, but I always chalked it up to my aging Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 7. Both WSJT-X audio devices are clearly listed as my external USB sound device and not any Default device you mention.

                    I mentioned it only as a “yeah, it happens to me too” type post before seeing Joe’s, K1JT acknowledgement of the issue. I see no need to pursue this further unless it continues to happen after any fix for it is released.

                    73,

                    Dell – W2DX

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 27, 2013
                      Guys,

                      In my case, it is not a hidden window, but a window that has been minimized that causes the audio interruption when I activate it again.

                      Ed, K0KC