RE: [wsjtgroup] Leaving Group

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 9, 2013

      Thanks for the additional info, Kurt.    I was wondering why all the fuss about some new format,  which I did not see.    I receive all my group messages by email where my MS Outlook carefully filters them and puts each group in its own email folder for me.  It sure beats wending one’s way page after page through the more complex WEB access to groups.

      Ed   K7AAT

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 9, 2013
        > I was wondering why all the fuss about some new format, which I did
        > not see.

        The only problem with using an e-mail client (e.g. Outlook,
        Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) is when messages are *posted* from the
        web interface they are full of HTML tags that get translated to
        garbage text that makes the posting difficult to read.

        Yahoo seem to be working on that problem - adding more tags to the
        list that get removed in the HTML to text transition - but it is
        still a PITA.

        Still, I would not even attempt to use the web interface for *any*
        mail list. The ability to filter/sort messages into a separate
        folder for each group and dump any message that does not come from
        the list server into a spam folder (eliminate garbage from "e-mail
        address harvesters") makes keeping up with a large number of lists
        much easier.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 9/9/2013 12:35 PM, Ed wrote:
        > Thanks for the additional info, Kurt. I was wondering why all the
        > fuss
        about some new format, which I did not see. I receive all my group
        messages by email where my MS Outlook carefully filters them and puts
        each group in its own email folder for me. It sure beats wending one’s
        way page after page through the more complex WEB access to groups.

        > Ed K7AAT

      • KD7YZ Bob
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10, 2013
          On 9/9/2013, W4TV (W4TV) sent :

          > The only problem with using an e-mail client (e.g. Outlook,
          > Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) is when messages are *posted* from the
          > web interface they are full of HTML tags

          Yes and they are a PITA.

          I've never used any form of Outlook. Once had Eudora and loved it for
          functionality. Now using "The Bat!" for over a decade. I force Plain Text
          only at the program level. Though many "Lists" have a setting to have
          email sent out in Plain-Text only.

          Bob KD7YZ
          http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ
        • m0dev
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 10, 2013
            I'm all good in the gmail web interface

            73 Mark, M0DEV

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

            > On 9/9/2013, W4TV (W4TV) sent :
            >
            > > The only problem with using an e-mail client (e.g. Outlook,
            > > Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) is when messages are *posted* from the
            > > web interface they are full of HTML tags
          • Bill Ockert - ND0B
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 2013
              Hello to the group,

              This topic may have been covered in depth before and if so please send an appropriate flog in my direction as well as where it was covered.  Several variations of google searches netted no information.

              I am trying to determine the legality of using FSK441 on 10 meters which is commonly believed to be not acceptable.  The applicable regulation is
              97.307Red rose(4) which states

              “Only a RTTY or data emission

              using a specified digital code listed in

              § 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted.

              The symbol rate must not exceed

              1200 bauds, or for frequency-shift

              keying, the frequency shift between

              mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz.”

              The first glance at this would seem to indicate that because FSK441 has a maximum frequency shift of 1323Hz it would not be allowed.   However I would like to focus on the word “or” and just for arguments sake insert an “and” in place of it.   That seems perfectly clear to me.   Now read it again with the original “or”.   Not quite as clear and subject to multiple interpretations.

              If the intent had been to limit digital signals to 1200 baud AND FSK signals to 1KHz maximum shift then why not the word “and” and remove all ambiguity?  With the word “or” there it makes me wonder if this can be interpreted as:

              “The symbol rate must not exceed 1200 bauds or (if the symbol rate exceeds 1200 bauds) for frequency shift keying, the frequency shift between mark and space must not exceed 1kHz.”

              This interpretation would allow FSK441 to be used on 10m.

              Thanks for any comments that anyone might have on this.

              73 de Bill ND0B

            • Roger Kendall
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013
                I always use an e-mail client for group mail and apart from the odd message
                there are very few that carry HTML tags to confuse the script! Even they can
                be read if you ignore the garbage.

                The anternative of using the new Neo system on their group website seems to
                be full of problems especially for moderators.

                Yahoo seem to have created a major problem for themselves as some mail has
                taken two days from posting to appear at the recipients Inbox. There is no
                consistency in behavior. That is not acceptable for what purports to be an
                instant messaging service.

                Roger
              • chas cartmel
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013

                  Roger

                  I agree 100% with your observations.

                  The main issue for me is the delay you mentioned, especially on those groups configured not to send a copy of the post back to the sender as at times I wonder if the post got delivered. Also here where the default is to a personal mailbox so there is no way of checking unless of course you manually change the ‘To’ value or use the link at the bottom of the post to redirect to the Group. It was OK (ish) before as the mail service could be relied upon, but not now.

                  I wonder if any groups you know of have migrated to another host, Google Groups being the most obvious. I am a member of 1 only there with little traffic but wonder if Yahoo’s troubles will be Googles gain – Shooting themselves in the foot or what!

                  73

                  Charlie

                  www.G4EST.me.uk