Leaving Group

  • kj6rgx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2013
      Due to the recent change to the groups format I am unsubscribing to any group page that employs the new format.
    • i3rgh
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2013

        You are right...

        Is it possible to set up a poll about the new format of Yahoo groups?

        I DISLIKE it VERY MUCH too..

        but maybe someone likes it (?)...

        Unfortunately (!) there is interesting contents in this group, otherwise I would escape as well..

        from this and all Yahoo groups using this ugly "new format"

        Best 73

        Bruno i3rgh

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

        Due to the recent change to the groups format I am unsubscribing to any group page that employs the new format.
      • Facility 406 DM09
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2013
          "Due to the recent change to the groups format I am unsubscribing to any
          group page that employs the new format."

          Keep in mind...

          The format is random. Not all groups got it, not all members got it. Yahoo
          is in control, not members. Yahoo changed it, not the group owner. If
          there is 100 million groups and 100 million members, Yahoo randomly picked a
          few hundred thousand to screw up without warning. Yahoo received over 3.5
          million complaints against it in the first twenty-four hours. They are
          slowly, very slowly changing some things. Still, they are in control, not
          members.

          If you have an e-mail address, usually you can get a dozen or two just for
          having internet accesss, skip the group and the associated BS and just
          receive e-mail. I am on 135 Yahoo groups. I run about a dozen. I've heard
          the horror stories and have yet to see any of it, despite my moderators
          telling me my groups are trashed. Why? They are E-MAIL groups, no problems
          at all, so, I'll wait it out.

          If your activity with the group is purely through the webpage and your
          posting and reading of messages is strictly though there too, I can see
          leaving, but not for any other reason.

          Kurt
        • KD7YZ Bob
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2013
            On Monday DM09 sent, on a straight key:

            F4D> telling me my groups are trashed. Why? They are E-MAIL groups, no problems
            F4D> at all, so, I'll wait it out.
            F4D>

            I agree. And until this particular thread I didn't realize that people
            actually used a web interface.

            I am using a great email program; get all of the Email-List stuff via
            forced Plain-Text, read the stuff, reply to it, don't care what
            Yahoogroups does to wreck their format.

            Bob KD7YZ
            http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ
          • Ed
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2013

              Thanks for the additional info, Kurt.    I was wondering why all the fuss about some new format,  which I did not see.    I receive all my group messages by email where my MS Outlook carefully filters them and puts each group in its own email folder for me.  It sure beats wending one’s way page after page through the more complex WEB access to groups.

              Ed   K7AAT

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2013
                > I was wondering why all the fuss about some new format, which I did
                > not see.

                The only problem with using an e-mail client (e.g. Outlook,
                Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) is when messages are *posted* from the
                web interface they are full of HTML tags that get translated to
                garbage text that makes the posting difficult to read.

                Yahoo seem to be working on that problem - adding more tags to the
                list that get removed in the HTML to text transition - but it is
                still a PITA.

                Still, I would not even attempt to use the web interface for *any*
                mail list. The ability to filter/sort messages into a separate
                folder for each group and dump any message that does not come from
                the list server into a spam folder (eliminate garbage from "e-mail
                address harvesters") makes keeping up with a large number of lists
                much easier.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

                On 9/9/2013 12:35 PM, Ed wrote:
                > Thanks for the additional info, Kurt. I was wondering why all the
                > fuss
                about some new format, which I did not see. I receive all my group
                messages by email where my MS Outlook carefully filters them and puts
                each group in its own email folder for me. It sure beats wending one’s
                way page after page through the more complex WEB access to groups.

                > Ed K7AAT

              • KD7YZ Bob
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2013
                  On 9/9/2013, W4TV (W4TV) sent :

                  > The only problem with using an e-mail client (e.g. Outlook,
                  > Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) is when messages are *posted* from the
                  > web interface they are full of HTML tags

                  Yes and they are a PITA.

                  I've never used any form of Outlook. Once had Eudora and loved it for
                  functionality. Now using "The Bat!" for over a decade. I force Plain Text
                  only at the program level. Though many "Lists" have a setting to have
                  email sent out in Plain-Text only.

                  Bob KD7YZ
                  http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ
                • m0dev
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 10, 2013
                    I'm all good in the gmail web interface

                    73 Mark, M0DEV

                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

                    > On 9/9/2013, W4TV (W4TV) sent :
                    >
                    > > The only problem with using an e-mail client (e.g. Outlook,
                    > > Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.) is when messages are *posted* from the
                    > > web interface they are full of HTML tags
                  • Bill Ockert - ND0B
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 10, 2013
                      Hello to the group,

                      This topic may have been covered in depth before and if so please send an appropriate flog in my direction as well as where it was covered.  Several variations of google searches netted no information.

                      I am trying to determine the legality of using FSK441 on 10 meters which is commonly believed to be not acceptable.  The applicable regulation is
                      97.307Red rose(4) which states

                      “Only a RTTY or data emission

                      using a specified digital code listed in

                      § 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted.

                      The symbol rate must not exceed

                      1200 bauds, or for frequency-shift

                      keying, the frequency shift between

                      mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz.”

                      The first glance at this would seem to indicate that because FSK441 has a maximum frequency shift of 1323Hz it would not be allowed.   However I would like to focus on the word “or” and just for arguments sake insert an “and” in place of it.   That seems perfectly clear to me.   Now read it again with the original “or”.   Not quite as clear and subject to multiple interpretations.

                      If the intent had been to limit digital signals to 1200 baud AND FSK signals to 1KHz maximum shift then why not the word “and” and remove all ambiguity?  With the word “or” there it makes me wonder if this can be interpreted as:

                      “The symbol rate must not exceed 1200 bauds or (if the symbol rate exceeds 1200 bauds) for frequency shift keying, the frequency shift between mark and space must not exceed 1kHz.”

                      This interpretation would allow FSK441 to be used on 10m.

                      Thanks for any comments that anyone might have on this.

                      73 de Bill ND0B

                    • Roger Kendall
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013
                        I always use an e-mail client for group mail and apart from the odd message
                        there are very few that carry HTML tags to confuse the script! Even they can
                        be read if you ignore the garbage.

                        The anternative of using the new Neo system on their group website seems to
                        be full of problems especially for moderators.

                        Yahoo seem to have created a major problem for themselves as some mail has
                        taken two days from posting to appear at the recipients Inbox. There is no
                        consistency in behavior. That is not acceptable for what purports to be an
                        instant messaging service.

                        Roger
                      • chas cartmel
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 11, 2013

                          Roger

                          I agree 100% with your observations.

                          The main issue for me is the delay you mentioned, especially on those groups configured not to send a copy of the post back to the sender as at times I wonder if the post got delivered. Also here where the default is to a personal mailbox so there is no way of checking unless of course you manually change the ‘To’ value or use the link at the bottom of the post to redirect to the Group. It was OK (ish) before as the mail service could be relied upon, but not now.

                          I wonder if any groups you know of have migrated to another host, Google Groups being the most obvious. I am a member of 1 only there with little traffic but wonder if Yahoo’s troubles will be Googles gain – Shooting themselves in the foot or what!

                          73

                          Charlie

                          www.G4EST.me.uk