clock errors - Rx and TX end

  • chas cartmel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2013

      While operating 20m this afternoon a China station came on calling CQ around 1626 UTC. Called him back a few times but got no response. He had been calling for some while with no success, and I noticed his DT was 4.6. I sent a CHK CLOCK message but to no avail as he returned a few minutes later with the same DT value.

      The question is If I am reading him OK (assuming correct decoding of his signal as location matched) then as he is @ +4.6 then correspondingly he would be -4.6 relative, so would it be unlikely my TX would be decoded? He seems to send QRZ often so seemingly hearing the signals but not decoding perhaps.

      73

      Charlie

      www.G4EST.me.uk

    • Jim - N4ST
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2013
        If he was 4.6 seconds LATE, then you (and most other stations) were 4.6
        seconds EARLY.
        It has been my observation that one can often decode a station that is a
        little late, but if the station is early it is harder.
        He was probably sending QRZ because he was seeing traces on the waterfall,
        but wasn't decoding them.
        Another cause could have been the QRM of many stations responding to such a
        prize.

        73,
        Jim - N4ST

        While operating 20m this afternoon a China station came on calling CQ around
        1626 UTC. Called him back a few times but got no response. He had been
        calling for some while with no success, and I noticed his DT was 4.6. I sent
        a CHK CLOCK message but to no avail as he returned a few minutes later with
        the same DT value.

        The question is If I am reading him OK (assuming correct decoding of his
        signal as location matched) then as he is @ +4.6 then correspondingly he
        would be -4.6 relative, so would it be unlikely my TX would be decoded? He
        seems to send QRZ often so seemingly hearing the signals but not decoding
        perhaps.

        73
        Charlie
        www.G4EST.me.uk

      • Carol & Fred Darrah
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2013
          I have found that setting the time software to every 5 minutes eliminates a lot of timing issues. Some software allows for the change of receive DT value.
          Fred N9GUE