RE: [wsjtgroup] RE: multiple decodes jt 9 - WSJT-X v3563

  • chas cartmel
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
      Joe,
      Thought as much myself, he was 10db over 9 on the S meter whatever that
      signifies - never checked calibration. I think next time I hear a signal
      like this I will reduce the audio output of the rig and see what difference
      it makes after resetting the interface and software gains to get the 30db
      indication again.

      I am assuming though that it was a one off as i have never had (identified)
      such an issue on other modes such as PSK31 where the output from the rig to
      the interface is as it is now.

      73
      Charlie
      www.G4EST.me.uk

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
        1246 -32 0.0 1188 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
        1246 -21 0.1 1488 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
        1246 19 0.1 1588 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
        1246 -24 0.2 1688 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
        1246 -25 0.2 1788 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45

        Not sure if this proves anything.

        Need another station that also recorded this time slot. Sorry, I turned SAVE ALL off.

        ve3bdr
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
          Might need new tubes in the amp.

          > He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large
          amount. A signal >
          strength equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation >
          conditions.

          If the IZ2DZN signal strength was "equivalent to a 50 W PSK" you are most
          certainly over driving the sound card. It would appear the sound card is
          close to, or even in, clipping.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 9/6/2013 9:54 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
          > Thanks Bruno, Joe and
          Mark

          > Should have stated in my email that freq
          was 14.078. The IZ2DZN's power
          was unknown as although monitoring the station for a while this was not
          seen.

          > He was the
          strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal strength
          equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation conditions.

          > 73

          Charlie

          bruno.rod@... [mailto:bruno.rod@...]
          > Sent: 06 September 2013
          14:32
          > To: chas@...
          > Subject: RE: multiple decodes jt 9
          - WSJT-X v3563

          > Hello Charlie.

          Yes, there they are.

          > 1246 -31 0.1 1188 @ CQ IK2DZN
          JN45

          > 1246 -21 0.1 1488 @ CQ IK2DZN
          JN45

          > 1246 19 0.1 1588 @ CQ IK2DZN
          JN45

          > 1246 -24 0.2 1688 @ CQ IK2DZN
          JN45

          > The bigger are 40dB and 100 Hz apart. It
          seems a VERY VERY strong
          > signal (+19dB !! I have never seen something
          similar! What band? What
          > was the Power of IK2DZN?)

          Anyway 40dB is really a good level of suppression..

          > It could be
          an issue of 100 Hz injection into your Audio Board, or could
          be a IK2DZN's issue with same level..

          > 40 dB is anyway a very good
          suppression.. 3.1W to 1mW in powerlevel

          > So, IMHO, do not worry
          about it.

          > Best 73
          >
          > Bruno
          i3RGH

          WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
            > Thought as much myself, he was 10db over 9 on the S meter whatever
            > that signifies - never checked calibration.

            Depends on the rig obviously. However, if one has a background noise
            level of -130 dBm (typical urban/suburban on 20-15 meters), is not
            running AGC and the receiver response is reasonably linear, the range
            is 67 dB from the noise floor to S9+10 (-130 dBm to -63 dBm).

            If the sound card has an effective 90 dB dynamic range (zero signal
            noise floor + hum to to clipping) and one sets the radio background
            noise 20 dB above the sound card noise floor (to give the software
            some opportunity to "work into the noise"), that leaves just 70 dB
            from "background" to clipping. If the sound card (external, internal
            or motherboard) has a high noise floor as some do (due to hum, power
            supply noise, poor decoupling, etc.) and one sets the "background"
            noise above the sound card noise floor, the sound card will clip
            (ADC overflow) on the strong signals.

            AGC helps by reducing the receiver gain on strong signals but that
            causes weak signals to "fall through the floor" in the presence of
            the stronger signals.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV