multiple decodes jt 9 - WSJT-X v3563

  • chas cartmel
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6 5:53 AM

      Guys

      Had several instances of multiple decodes this morning.

      Can somebody check the audio file below to check if ‘multis’ appear on their s/w to help determine if fault on my RX or the transmission. Shown as +19 here with ‘slider’ @ 30db as usual.

      https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jwrndu45c1daj7/130906_1246.wav

      Thanks

      73

      Charlie

      www.G4EST.me.uk

    • Joe Subich, W4TV
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6 6:36 AM
        The multiple signals are clearly present in the waterfall and
        spectrum display of one increases the "Gain."

        The primary signal is +19dB with the "spurs" ranging between
        40 to 50 dB lower. Given the extremely strong primary signal
        it is not possible to know if the spurs were transmitted or
        generated in your sound card.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV

        On 9/6/2013 8:53 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
        > Guys
        >
        > Had several instances of multiple decodes this morning.
        >
        > Can somebody check the audio file below to check if 'multis' appear on their
        > s/w to help determine if fault on my RX or the transmission. Shown as +19
        > here with 'slider' @ 30db as usual.
        >

        > https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jwrndu45c1daj7/130906_1246.wav
        >

        > Thanks
        >

        > 73
        >
        > Charlie
        >
        > www.G4EST.me.uk

      • chas cartmel
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6 6:54 AM

          Thanks Bruno, Joe and Mark

          Should have stated in my email that freq was 14.078. The IZ2DZN’s power was unknown as although monitoring the station for a while this was not seen.

          He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal strength equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation conditions.

          73

          Charlie

          www.G4EST.me.uk

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6 8:02 AM
            > He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal
            > strength equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation
            > conditions.

            If the IZ2DZN signal strength was "equivalent to a 50 W PSK" you are
            most certainly over driving the sound card. It would appear the sound
            card is close to, or even in, clipping.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 9/6/2013 9:54 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
            > Thanks Bruno, Joe and Mark
            >

            > Should have stated in my email that freq was 14.078. The IZ2DZN’s power was unknown as although monitoring the station for a while this was not seen.
            >

            > He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal strength equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation conditions.
            >

            > 73
            >
            > Charlie
            >
            > www.G4EST.me.uk

          • chas cartmel
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6 8:16 AM
              Joe,
              Thought as much myself, he was 10db over 9 on the S meter whatever that
              signifies - never checked calibration. I think next time I hear a signal
              like this I will reduce the audio output of the rig and see what difference
              it makes after resetting the interface and software gains to get the 30db
              indication again.

              I am assuming though that it was a one off as i have never had (identified)
              such an issue on other modes such as PSK31 where the output from the rig to
              the interface is as it is now.

              73
              Charlie
              www.G4EST.me.uk

              > He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal >
              strength equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation >
              conditions.

              If the IZ2DZN signal strength was "equivalent to a 50 W PSK" you are most
              certainly over driving the sound card. It would appear the sound card is
              close to, or even in, clipping.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 9/6/2013 9:54 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
              > Thanks Bruno, Joe and Mark
              >

              > Should have stated in my email that freq was 14.078. The IZ2DZN's power
              was unknown as although monitoring the station for a while this was not
              seen.

              > He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal strength
              equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation conditions.

              > 73
              >
              > Charlie
              >
              > www.G4EST.me.uk

              WSJTGroup Homepage --> http://www.wsjtgroup.org/

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Rudy Benner
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6 9:21 AM
                1246 -32 0.0 1188 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
                1246 -21 0.1 1488 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
                1246 19 0.1 1588 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
                1246 -24 0.2 1688 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45
                1246 -25 0.2 1788 @ CQ IK2DZN JN45

                Not sure if this proves anything.

                Need another station that also recorded this time slot. Sorry, I turned SAVE ALL off.

                ve3bdr

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6 9:25 AM
                  Might need new tubes in the amp.

                  > He was the strongest on the band by a VERY large
                  amount. A signal >
                  strength equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation >
                  conditions.

                  If the IZ2DZN signal strength was "equivalent to a 50 W PSK" you are most
                  certainly over driving the sound card. It would appear the sound card is
                  close to, or even in, clipping.

                  73,

                  ... Joe, W4TV

                  On 9/6/2013 9:54 AM, chas cartmel wrote:
                  > Thanks Bruno, Joe and
                  Mark

                  > Should have stated in my email that freq
                  was 14.078. The IZ2DZN's power
                  was unknown as although monitoring the station for a while this was not
                  seen.

                  > He was the
                  strongest on the band by a VERY large amount. A signal strength
                  equivalent to a PSK TX of around 50W under good propagation conditions.

                  > 73

                  Charlie

                  bruno.rod@... [mailto:bruno.rod@...]
                  > Sent: 06 September 2013
                  14:32
                  > To: chas@...
                  > Subject: RE: multiple decodes jt 9
                  - WSJT-X v3563

                  > Hello Charlie.

                  Yes, there they are.

                  > 1246 -31 0.1 1188 @ CQ IK2DZN
                  JN45

                  > 1246 -21 0.1 1488 @ CQ IK2DZN
                  JN45

                  > 1246 19 0.1 1588 @ CQ IK2DZN
                  JN45

                  > 1246 -24 0.2 1688 @ CQ IK2DZN
                  JN45

                  > The bigger are 40dB and 100 Hz apart. It
                  seems a VERY VERY strong
                  > signal (+19dB !! I have never seen something
                  similar! What band? What
                  > was the Power of IK2DZN?)

                  Anyway 40dB is really a good level of suppression..

                  > It could be
                  an issue of 100 Hz injection into your Audio Board, or could
                  be a IK2DZN's issue with same level..

                  > 40 dB is anyway a very good
                  suppression.. 3.1W to 1mW in powerlevel

                  > So, IMHO, do not worry
                  about it.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6 9:56 AM
                    > Thought as much myself, he was 10db over 9 on the S meter whatever
                    > that signifies - never checked calibration.

                    Depends on the rig obviously. However, if one has a background noise
                    level of -130 dBm (typical urban/suburban on 20-15 meters), is not
                    running AGC and the receiver response is reasonably linear, the range
                    is 67 dB from the noise floor to S9+10 (-130 dBm to -63 dBm).

                    If the sound card has an effective 90 dB dynamic range (zero signal
                    noise floor + hum to to clipping) and one sets the radio background
                    noise 20 dB above the sound card noise floor (to give the software
                    some opportunity to "work into the noise"), that leaves just 70 dB
                    from "background" to clipping. If the sound card (external, internal
                    or motherboard) has a high noise floor as some do (due to hum, power
                    supply noise, poor decoupling, etc.) and one sets the "background"
                    noise above the sound card noise floor, the sound card will clip
                    (ADC overflow) on the strong signals.

                    AGC helps by reducing the receiver gain on strong signals but that
                    causes weak signals to "fall through the floor" in the presence of
                    the stronger signals.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV