Re: [wsjtgroup] Suggested UI Modifications

  • Fred Darrah
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 10:55 AM
      What would make for simple operating proceedure is for those that do not have wide waterfall capability is: Understand the limitation of your rig. Listen only in dual mode . Switch to individual modes ,either JT65 or JT9. Make your qso. return to dual mode listening. Why complicate the software to the point that QRM is created by not being able to understand how to operate it.

      dude8724@... wrote:

      Now that I see that Joe K1JT is back (saw him on my waterfall), I'd like to post some changes to the WSJT-X UI mainly for dual-mode operation. I know I have made part of this request before, but I'd like to post an additional change request and hopefully some reasonable logic behind the requests.

      Before I post the UI modifications, lets for reference look at the 20m QRG of 14076. It has the following sub-band plan. 270-2270 Hz JT65 (based on the JT65-HF scale) and 3000-4000 Hz JT9 (based on the original WSJT-X scale). In the past when 20m was busy, I saw many JT65-HF stations change their QRG to anywhere between 14075 and 14077. I've also seen a number of JT9 signals creeping down below the 3000 Hz due to many operators not having a wide receiver range and wanting to operate split.

      First, my additional change. Instead of the +2kHz check box, would it be possible to make it a slider from -1kHz to +2kHz in 1kHz increments. The reason for the -1kHz is mostly for when 20m JT65 is busy, The extra headroom below the normal QRG opens up additional QSO "channels" that are at times impossible to come by on 20m. This would model the behavior that I've seen in the past. Also note that by increasing +1kHz instead of +2kHz, many of us with older rigs would get most of the JT9 sub-band into our RX passband and still have more than half of the "normal" JT65 sub-band decodable as well. As an option, the slider increment could be 500Hz steps, but 1kHz would certainly work well enough.

      Second, my previous change request (and for simplifying life with my new request). Have audio frequencies track QRG offset changes. The audio frequency tracking to QRG offset changes can be individual options, but I'd definitely like the dual-mode JT65/JT9 split frequency to track any QRG offset. I normally use 2500 as my split without any QRG offset and changing it to 500 when activating the QRG offset requires:
      - Checking the +2kHz box in the main window
      - Clicking on either side of the 2 in 2500 in the Wide Graph window and then deleting the "2" with the proper keystroke(s). I say keystrokes when you don't click in just the right place and have to use the cursor keys as well.
      Of course when deselecting the +2kHz check box, you must also add the "2" back into the split.
      My main reason of course is forgetting to occasionally change the split frequency to the proper value and missing decodes. Other audio frequencies include "Tx" and "Rx" in the main window and "Start" in the Wide Graph window. I see auto-adjustment of the JT65/JT9 split as being normal behavior, the "Tx" and "Rx" as optional behavior and "Start" as undesired behavior.

      I hope you take these UI changes under serious consideration as they will make operation of the software easier for the large percentage of operators who don't have a wide RX passband available and would like to seamlessly operate both modes.

      73 David KC2WUF