Explain This!

  • wb2coy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2013

      OK, Guys - here's a good one that I can't explain. I started up WSJT-X in JT9 mode this evening. I transmitted a "Tune" signal for a few seconds at 1500 Hz, just to check that my power level and SWR were where I normally want them.

      WSJT-X was happily decoding signals while I was doing other things on the computer. About 37 Minutes later, JTAlerts announced 'Calling You' ! I checked my WSJT-X screen, and sure enough, N1EVK (MD) was calling me at 1501 Hz!

      There was no indication on my screen that my station had ever transmitted a JT9 signal.  How did N1EVK know I was there and at that specific frequency?

      I did have HamSpots enabled, so I can see how he may have seen me there, but was it just a lucky guess at where I was on the dial? Or perhaps he just took a shot in the dark and figured I would go to him if he called me around the middle of the 'band'.

      First time this has happened, and spooked me a little bit! I returned his call, but he was decoded here in NY at about -23 dB, so I guess he didn't hear me, as I got no response.

      73, Bob WB2COY

    • wa4mit