RE: WSJT-X wrong tone frequency transmitted

  • k3wyc
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013

      Hi Bill,

      My polling interval is 5 sec but note that only VFO A is polled.  VFO B is set, but never polled, by wsjt-x.

      No other applications are sending CAT command.  I'm monitoring all CAT traffic in real time.

      I believe the 1k offset anomaly is caused by wsjt-x dropping split control.  This leaves VFO B where it was last set but the transmitted tone is for the full DF offset from zero, rather than being in the appropriate 1k - 2k range.

      Since the rig remains in split it will transmit at VFO B freq + tone freq.   I  suspect that the resulting offset can be -1k, 0, +1k,+2k depending on where VFO B was left and the position of the TX cursor.   This happens very infrequently in normal operations with my TS-590S and I have not yet found a way to reproduce it.

      Please let me know if you are interested in working on wsjt-x CAT issues.  I have a list I could send you and would be willing to act as a tester for any fixes.

      Have here been any CAT changes since r3496?

      73,

      Andy k3wyc

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <bill.8@...> wrote:

      Hi Andy,

      What poll interval for the CAT settings in WSJT-X do you have set?

      Could any other software or hardware be sending CAT commands to the radio?

      73

      Bill

      G4WJS.

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <a.durbin@...> wrote:

      Note to self - do not send out a post without checking the data multiple times. I wish there was a delete function.

      The VFO B setting for DF 2985 should be 14077. So looks like this a CAT issue after all.

      I'll make sure the serial monitor is running when I try next.

      Sorry for the confusion.

      Andy
    • Rudy Benner
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013
        That sounds familiar. The solution was to use Commander to control my FT450 and for WSJT-X to interface to Commander. It all works nicely now.

        ve3bdr

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

          Today called JT65 CQ on 15m at DF 996.  My VFO A was 21076, my VFO B was 21075.  Spectrum Lab confirmed my TX tone was approx 2k.

          WA8OJR replied to me at DF 1993 but due to the frequency confusion we did not make a QSO.

          My VFO setting and TX tone were, I believe, correct.  After the call I verified SPLIT was still active in my config settings.

          Just another data point.

          Andy k3wyc

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

            But wait, there's more....

            After posting the previous message, called CQ on 15m, JT65, DF 1831.  VFO A 21076, VFO B 21076, tx tone approx 1.8k.  Again all seems correct for r3496.

            Received a reply from W4RIN at DF 821.  Again no QSO.

            This 1k issue is going to drive people away from wsjt-x split mode

            Here are a few thing that could perhaps make it better:

            Poll VFO B at the same rate as VFO A  - drop CAT if both don't agree with the set values

            Inhibit TX if CAT mode drops out

            Include a clear SPLIT mode indicator on the main control window

            Add a VFO B readout to main window when in split mode

            Improve VFO setting logic - It's currently set for every change in TX cursor but it only needs to be set when the cursor crosses a VFO B transition frequency.

            Yes, I know I don't have the latest version of wsjt-x.  A deliberate decision since r3496 is reasonably stable.

            73,

            Andy k3wyc

            Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:42 PM

          • georgesdaniel@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
              Been using WSJT-X for about 3 months, and really enjoy using the
              program. Just this week I installed r3563 and learned about the
              SPLIT mode.

              While using Split mode, I have had the exact same experience (as
              others have reported)here with the wrong transmit frequency. I am
              using a TS-590 and am also running Ham Radio Deluxe in the
              background. I tried using COMMANDER for CAT control and had the
              same results, as with using WSJT-X for direct CAT control:

              When attempting to use SPLIT mode, the TS-590 is correctly in
              split configuration. When I move (double-click) the cursor along
              the Wide graph, I see the VFO B frequency change on the radio, as
              expected with a +/- 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000 hz being set by
              WSJT-X. Looks good at this point. After I transmit, when I get a
              reply, the other station is off my displayed frequency by +/-
              500, 1000, etc.

              WSJT-X configuration: Lock Tx=Rx is selected, PTT is VOX, Kenwood
              TS-590 settings are correct for the CAT Comm port, SPLIT mode
              selected, Data is selected, Polling interval 1. Audio in/out is
              USB Audio. Can't find the onboard sound card settings to verify
              48000, but assume it is correct since I have been using the
              program satisfactorily in simplex mode for a few months. But,
              perhaps that is an issue (?)