entering /p etc. in JT9

  • Ian GM4KLN
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30 7:25 AM

      Hi folks

      Still a novice with WJST-X so please excuse a simple question:

      On several occasions now, my JT9 CQ has been returned by a /P station. However, two issues:

      1)      When I double click the calling callsign to reply, the /P does not get auto-copied across into the 6 “standard Messages” macros textbox (eg XX1XXX/p is truncated to XX1XXX)

      2)      When I then go to edit the callsign directly in the 6 messages textbox, it displays correctly now in the messages boxes, but, in the bottom left area of the screen, it shows  (say) Tx: XX1XXX 8P/GM4KLN  ;   JT9  ; Last Tx:  XX1XXX 8P/GM4KLN   (it “should” show Tx: XX1XXX/P GM4KLN 73  ;  JT9  ;  XX1XXX/P GM4KLN RRR)

      This is not a typo: the rpt, 73, RRR or anything else is deleted, and just the two callsigns are shown in BOTH windows.

      I can live with the above so long as the actual transmission itself is correct – I have no way of knowing apart from a live on-air test?

      Is it something I am doing wrong, an international kb/language encoding issue, or something else?

      Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, UK keyboard / language settings on PC etc.

      WJST-X v1.2 r3563 running JT9

      73, Ian GM4KLN

    • g4wjs
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31 2:46 AM

         Hi Ian,

        The messages you see in the message areas have been passed through the front end of the message encoder and because of the strict and somewhat limited message format what you see will sometimes have prefixes or suffixes dropped. This is because the uniform nature of amateur callsigns is used to highly compress the message data. This compression allows the strong error correction necessary to recover signals below the noise floor.

        Accepted practice as far as I know is to use a free form message for calling CQ (hopefully you can fit  "CQ <your-full-call> <locator>" in 13 characters) then complete a contact using the truncated callsigns the encoder  generates. The 73 message can be used to pass anything you didn't send in the initial call like a locator if you full callsign is too long.

        You can be certain that whatever you see in the generated message boxes is what will be sent.

        73

        Bill

        G4WJS.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31 11:56 AM

          Thanks Bill for the explanation / reassurance:  I was just worried I was sending the wrong stuff J   it was the 8P/  that got me.

          73, Ian GM4KLN