Multiple decodes

  • fred_darrah
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
      Recently I had a problem with multiple decodes on my transmitted signal. I tried some different methods to eliminate the problem. With the help of other operators, I found the problem. My heavy duty transformer power supply was the source. I had a new power supply sitting on the shelf and put it in line. No problems now. I guess one can expect and should replace an old power supply. This one was in every day usage for 23 years. Thanks to W0GN for sending me the read outs and the trace records.
      Fred N9GUE
    • A.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
        Hi Fred

        I think they are the electrolytic condensers. They are exhausted and the DC is DC + AC. The power supply is 100% recoverable.

        Regards

        73, Antonio - ea7hj

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "fred_darrah" <cfdarrah@...> wrote:

        > Recently I had a problem with multiple decodes on my transmitted signal. I tried some different methods to eliminate the problem. With the help of other operators, I found the problem. My heavy duty transformer power supply was the source. I had a new power supply sitting on the shelf and put it in line. No problems now. I guess one can expect and should replace an old power supply. This one was in every day usage for 23 years. Thanks to W0GN for sending me the read outs and the trace records.
        > Fred N9GUE

      • Rudy Benner
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
          Yes, I had one like that too, had a very melodic hum, very soothing. I gave it away to an unsuspecting young fellow. I am bad.

          --- In mailto:wsjtgroup%40yahoogroups.com, "fred_darrah" <cfdarrah@...> wrote:

          > Recently I had a
          problem with multiple decodes on my transmitted signal. I tried some different methods to eliminate the problem. With the help of other operators, I found the problem. My heavy duty transformer power supply was the source. I had a new power supply sitting on the shelf and put it in line. No problems now. I guess one can expect and should replace an old power supply. This one was in every day usage for 23 years. Thanks to W0GN for sending me the read outs and the trace records.
          > Fred N9GUE

        • Jim - N4ST
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 29, 2013
            Can't one put an AC Voltmeter (set to millivolt range) on their DC supply
            and measure the ripple at max key down output of their rig?

            73.
            Jim - N4ST

            I think they are the electrolytic condensers. They are exhausted and the DC
            is DC + AC. The power supply is 100% recoverable.

            Regards

            73, Antonio - ea7hj

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "fred_darrah" <cfdarrah@...> wrote:

            > Recently I had a problem with multiple decodes on my transmitted signal. I
            tried some different methods to eliminate the problem. With the help of
            other operators, I found the problem. My heavy duty transformer power supply
            was the source. I had a new power supply sitting on the shelf and put it in
            line. No problems now. I guess one can expect and should replace an old
            power supply. This one was in every day usage for 23 years. Thanks to W0GN
            for sending me the read outs and the trace records.
            > Fred N9GUE

          • kc9eev
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2014

              Hello Everyone,

              Sometimes I am getting multiple decodes on different freqs from the same station. Last night I got SIX from one. What is happening and how do I fix it please?

              thanks and 73,

              David

              AA9G

            • Jim - N4ST
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 26, 2014
                David,

                Most likely, the guy transmitting is driving his rig too hard, or you are overloading on your receive end.
                Usually, the multiple decodes are lower by 30dB or more than the main signal and isn't a problem except under good propagation conditions.
                If it is a DX station (on 50 Hz power), and the multiple signals are separated by a multiple of 50Hz the problem is on the TX end, if they are separated by multiples of 60Hz then the problem is on your end.

                _________
                73,
                Jim – N4ST