Making Changes to "Gen msg" during Xmit are not always desirable

  • KD7YZ Bob
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2013
      Hey WSJT Group:

      I just happen to notice that when I was sending "RRR" to N8DEA, and in
      order to myself up for the next xmit sequence of mine, I pressed the
      "73", that the current Outgoing Tx message also changed, during xmit .....

      Now, there are times when I really DO want to change paddles in the
      middle of the stream. This isn't one of those.

      It seems to me that in WSJT if I wanted to change the current tx
      message, I double-clicked on a "Tx" button ... you now, like
      double-click the TX3 button cuz you didn't mean to send TX2 again ...

      Personally, I don't find it helpful to be unable to setup the NEXT
      outgoing message while in the current sequence. On a crowded band, with
      multiple decodes, there are times when I am staring at both
      Band-Activity as well as Rx-Frequency decodes to see what my QSO fiend
      sent, "Tx2,3,4 and so forth .. did I fade and he needs a repeat, for
      example.

      Well, while I am staring, usually the xmit comes on .. "If" I already
      had the proper "next sequence" Ticked, then it wouldn't matter that I
      didn't set on in. And "If" it turns out he needs a repeat, I can
      double-click something or other and the desired Txx will be switched
      into the outgoing sequence.

      You may doubt that this works, but I have seen it on such decodes as
      FSK441, and"heard" it on JT65 when the audio changes mid-stream from the
      other guy, yet the proper TXx decodes at my end.

      Anyway, just sayin' ....

      Bob KD7YZ
      http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ
    • Jim - N4ST
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2013
        Bob,
        If you are using Tab1, changing the Gen text message will just cue it up for
        the next TX cycle.
        If you are using Tab2, changing the Gen text message will *immediately*
        change the TX message, which if done early enough in the cycle will be
        decoded properly on the other end.

        I tend to use Tab2, but it was a hard habit to break from JT65-HF of not
        cueing up the next message too early.

        73,
        Jim - N4ST

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 29, 2013
          On Thursday N4ST sent, on a straight key:

          > If you are using Tab2, changing the Gen text message will *immediately*
          > change the TX message,

          I was afraid of that. Thanks for the answer though.

          Bob KD7YZ
          http://www.qrz.com/db/KD7YZ