Re: WSJT-X wrong tone frequency transmitted

  • k3wyc
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2013
      Note to self - do not send out a post without checking the data multiple times. I wish there was a delete function.

      The VFO B setting for DF 2985 should be 14077. So looks like this a CAT issue after all.

      I'll make sure the serial monitor is running when I try next.

      Sorry for the confusion.

      Andy
    • g4wjs
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013

        Hi Andy,

        What poll interval for the CAT settings in WSJT-X do you have set?

        Could any other software or hardware be sending CAT commands to the radio?

        73

        Bill

        G4WJS.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013

          Hi Bill,

          My polling interval is 5 sec but note that only VFO A is polled.  VFO B is set, but never polled, by wsjt-x.

          No other applications are sending CAT command.  I'm monitoring all CAT traffic in real time.

          I believe the 1k offset anomaly is caused by wsjt-x dropping split control.  This leaves VFO B where it was last set but the transmitted tone is for the full DF offset from zero, rather than being in the appropriate 1k - 2k range.

          Since the rig remains in split it will transmit at VFO B freq + tone freq.   I  suspect that the resulting offset can be -1k, 0, +1k,+2k depending on where VFO B was left and the position of the TX cursor.   This happens very infrequently in normal operations with my TS-590S and I have not yet found a way to reproduce it.

          Please let me know if you are interested in working on wsjt-x CAT issues.  I have a list I could send you and would be willing to act as a tester for any fixes.

          Have here been any CAT changes since r3496?

          73,

          Andy k3wyc

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <bill.8@...> wrote:

          Hi Andy,

          What poll interval for the CAT settings in WSJT-X do you have set?

          Could any other software or hardware be sending CAT commands to the radio?

          73

          Bill

          G4WJS.

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <a.durbin@...> wrote:

          Note to self - do not send out a post without checking the data multiple times. I wish there was a delete function.

          The VFO B setting for DF 2985 should be 14077. So looks like this a CAT issue after all.

          I'll make sure the serial monitor is running when I try next.

          Sorry for the confusion.

          Andy
        • Rudy Benner
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013
            That sounds familiar. The solution was to use Commander to control my FT450 and for WSJT-X to interface to Commander. It all works nicely now.

            ve3bdr

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

              Today called JT65 CQ on 15m at DF 996.  My VFO A was 21076, my VFO B was 21075.  Spectrum Lab confirmed my TX tone was approx 2k.

              WA8OJR replied to me at DF 1993 but due to the frequency confusion we did not make a QSO.

              My VFO setting and TX tone were, I believe, correct.  After the call I verified SPLIT was still active in my config settings.

              Just another data point.

              Andy k3wyc

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

                But wait, there's more....

                After posting the previous message, called CQ on 15m, JT65, DF 1831.  VFO A 21076, VFO B 21076, tx tone approx 1.8k.  Again all seems correct for r3496.

                Received a reply from W4RIN at DF 821.  Again no QSO.

                This 1k issue is going to drive people away from wsjt-x split mode

                Here are a few thing that could perhaps make it better:

                Poll VFO B at the same rate as VFO A  - drop CAT if both don't agree with the set values

                Inhibit TX if CAT mode drops out

                Include a clear SPLIT mode indicator on the main control window

                Add a VFO B readout to main window when in split mode

                Improve VFO setting logic - It's currently set for every change in TX cursor but it only needs to be set when the cursor crosses a VFO B transition frequency.

                Yes, I know I don't have the latest version of wsjt-x.  A deliberate decision since r3496 is reasonably stable.

                73,

                Andy k3wyc

                Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:42 PM

              • georgesdaniel@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Been using WSJT-X for about 3 months, and really enjoy using the
                  program. Just this week I installed r3563 and learned about the
                  SPLIT mode.

                  While using Split mode, I have had the exact same experience (as
                  others have reported)here with the wrong transmit frequency. I am
                  using a TS-590 and am also running Ham Radio Deluxe in the
                  background. I tried using COMMANDER for CAT control and had the
                  same results, as with using WSJT-X for direct CAT control:

                  When attempting to use SPLIT mode, the TS-590 is correctly in
                  split configuration. When I move (double-click) the cursor along
                  the Wide graph, I see the VFO B frequency change on the radio, as
                  expected with a +/- 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000 hz being set by
                  WSJT-X. Looks good at this point. After I transmit, when I get a
                  reply, the other station is off my displayed frequency by +/-
                  500, 1000, etc.

                  WSJT-X configuration: Lock Tx=Rx is selected, PTT is VOX, Kenwood
                  TS-590 settings are correct for the CAT Comm port, SPLIT mode
                  selected, Data is selected, Polling interval 1. Audio in/out is
                  USB Audio. Can't find the onboard sound card settings to verify
                  48000, but assume it is correct since I have been using the
                  program satisfactorily in simplex mode for a few months. But,
                  perhaps that is an issue (?)