WSJT-X wrong tone frequency transmitted

  • k3wyc
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 28, 2013
      There have been several reports of stations transmitting 1k away from where they thought they should be.

      Today I was able to reproduce this problem with r3469 and TS-590S in split mode. This is not a CAT problem. WSJT-X sometimes just sends out the wrong tone. It behaves as though it does not know split is active.

      For my test I monitored the TX MONI by wrapping it back to the PC and feeding Spectrum Lab.

      With dual mode active, JT65 selected, DF 2985, VFO A 14076, VFO B 14078, observed a transmitted tone of approx 2985. This persisted for several TX cycles (low power into dummy load). For this DF the transmitted sync tone should have been 1985. When I moved the TX and RX cursors to DF 2025 the correct tone of 1025 was produced. TX=RX was set but I don't know if has any influence on the issue.

      All I can suggest is that, if you are going to use split mode, you really should be monitoring your audio output. The difference between the intended tone and the error tone is quite obvious if you know what tone to expect for your current DF.

      Although I have seen this anomaly several times I still don't have a repeatable procedure for inducing it. It is, however, induced by moving the TX/RX cursors around and that action also fixes it.

      73,

      Andy k3wyc
    • k3wyc
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 28, 2013
        > With dual mode active, JT65 selected, DF 2985, VFO A 14076, VFO B 14078, observed a transmitted tone of approx 2985.

        Correction - I just checked the screen shots again and selected mode was JT9.

        Andy
      • k3wyc
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2013
          Note to self - do not send out a post without checking the data multiple times. I wish there was a delete function.

          The VFO B setting for DF 2985 should be 14077. So looks like this a CAT issue after all.

          I'll make sure the serial monitor is running when I try next.

          Sorry for the confusion.

          Andy
        • g4wjs
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013

            Hi Andy,

            What poll interval for the CAT settings in WSJT-X do you have set?

            Could any other software or hardware be sending CAT commands to the radio?

            73

            Bill

            G4WJS.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013

              Hi Bill,

              My polling interval is 5 sec but note that only VFO A is polled.  VFO B is set, but never polled, by wsjt-x.

              No other applications are sending CAT command.  I'm monitoring all CAT traffic in real time.

              I believe the 1k offset anomaly is caused by wsjt-x dropping split control.  This leaves VFO B where it was last set but the transmitted tone is for the full DF offset from zero, rather than being in the appropriate 1k - 2k range.

              Since the rig remains in split it will transmit at VFO B freq + tone freq.   I  suspect that the resulting offset can be -1k, 0, +1k,+2k depending on where VFO B was left and the position of the TX cursor.   This happens very infrequently in normal operations with my TS-590S and I have not yet found a way to reproduce it.

              Please let me know if you are interested in working on wsjt-x CAT issues.  I have a list I could send you and would be willing to act as a tester for any fixes.

              Have here been any CAT changes since r3496?

              73,

              Andy k3wyc

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <bill.8@...> wrote:

              Hi Andy,

              What poll interval for the CAT settings in WSJT-X do you have set?

              Could any other software or hardware be sending CAT commands to the radio?

              73

              Bill

              G4WJS.

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, <a.durbin@...> wrote:

              Note to self - do not send out a post without checking the data multiple times. I wish there was a delete function.

              The VFO B setting for DF 2985 should be 14077. So looks like this a CAT issue after all.

              I'll make sure the serial monitor is running when I try next.

              Sorry for the confusion.

              Andy
            • Rudy Benner
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2013
                That sounds familiar. The solution was to use Commander to control my FT450 and for WSJT-X to interface to Commander. It all works nicely now.

                ve3bdr

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

                  Today called JT65 CQ on 15m at DF 996.  My VFO A was 21076, my VFO B was 21075.  Spectrum Lab confirmed my TX tone was approx 2k.

                  WA8OJR replied to me at DF 1993 but due to the frequency confusion we did not make a QSO.

                  My VFO setting and TX tone were, I believe, correct.  After the call I verified SPLIT was still active in my config settings.

                  Just another data point.

                  Andy k3wyc

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 2013

                    But wait, there's more....

                    After posting the previous message, called CQ on 15m, JT65, DF 1831.  VFO A 21076, VFO B 21076, tx tone approx 1.8k.  Again all seems correct for r3496.

                    Received a reply from W4RIN at DF 821.  Again no QSO.

                    This 1k issue is going to drive people away from wsjt-x split mode

                    Here are a few thing that could perhaps make it better:

                    Poll VFO B at the same rate as VFO A  - drop CAT if both don't agree with the set values

                    Inhibit TX if CAT mode drops out

                    Include a clear SPLIT mode indicator on the main control window

                    Add a VFO B readout to main window when in split mode

                    Improve VFO setting logic - It's currently set for every change in TX cursor but it only needs to be set when the cursor crosses a VFO B transition frequency.

                    Yes, I know I don't have the latest version of wsjt-x.  A deliberate decision since r3496 is reasonably stable.

                    73,

                    Andy k3wyc

                    Sent: Saturday, August 31, 2013 12:42 PM

                  • georgesdaniel@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Been using WSJT-X for about 3 months, and really enjoy using the
                      program. Just this week I installed r3563 and learned about the
                      SPLIT mode.

                      While using Split mode, I have had the exact same experience (as
                      others have reported)here with the wrong transmit frequency. I am
                      using a TS-590 and am also running Ham Radio Deluxe in the
                      background. I tried using COMMANDER for CAT control and had the
                      same results, as with using WSJT-X for direct CAT control:

                      When attempting to use SPLIT mode, the TS-590 is correctly in
                      split configuration. When I move (double-click) the cursor along
                      the Wide graph, I see the VFO B frequency change on the radio, as
                      expected with a +/- 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000 hz being set by
                      WSJT-X. Looks good at this point. After I transmit, when I get a
                      reply, the other station is off my displayed frequency by +/-
                      500, 1000, etc.

                      WSJT-X configuration: Lock Tx=Rx is selected, PTT is VOX, Kenwood
                      TS-590 settings are correct for the CAT Comm port, SPLIT mode
                      selected, Data is selected, Polling interval 1. Audio in/out is
                      USB Audio. Can't find the onboard sound card settings to verify
                      48000, but assume it is correct since I have been using the
                      program satisfactorily in simplex mode for a few months. But,
                      perhaps that is an issue (?)