Re: v.3653 audio out (TX) vs. v.3520

  • g4wjs
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013
      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "i3rgh" <bruno.rod@...> wrote:

      > Hello Joe

      Hi Bruno,

      > I installed the beta v.3653 on my Windows 7 64bit.
      > I am using a M-Audio Delta44 as I/O board ( wit M-Audio drivers).
      >
      > I discovered that the audio output (with the Power slider at maximum) is anyway 10 db lower than the previous version.. (and the "standard level I use - with only minimal variations - in all Digital Ham programs, as MIXW,JT65HF,WSPR,WSJT,Digital Master etc.) and sadly the max level is not strong enough to drive my FT-817 to max output.
      > Is it only a my issue?
      >
      > Using the mixer (per-application level control) on the tray bar I discover that the "out level" for WSJT-X is set to 50%, and I can step it up to full output once the trasmission has begun, BUT it RETURNS to 50% on every start of transmission...and I must again set it to 100% to drive the RTX! (this seems to be a bug.. why doesn't stay where I put it ?)
      > This makes the release 3653 very difficult to use, with the level used for other digital modes.
      > I have a 10 dB "spare" output level from the driver which makes possible to "recover", but I must operate nearly "full throttle down" for the audio, and this only for WSJT-X v.3653, while returning to old versions I must return to the "standard" level.

      I am aware of this issue Bruno. It appears to be a defect in the Windows Qt audio implementation we are now using that only allows audio output levels to be set in the range 0% to 50%. I am considering what the best solution is given that a new release of Qt with a fix will be some time in the future.

      You can work around it to some extent by setting the level using the Windows Speaker level control and then not touching the "Pwr" slider in WSJT-X. Unfortunately this setting will be lost on the next restart of WSJT-X.

      If you can arrange your radio audio interface such that output levels below 51% on the Windows Speaker level give sufficient drive then that is probably the best solution for now. This obviously may not be very convenient if you use other programs to drive the radio audio.

      We may decide to remove the "Pwr" slider for now for Windows users if we can't find a better solution.

      > Other reports about similar behaviour?

      Apologies for the inconvenience. Yes other users have been reporting different output audio levels from previous versions.

      > Best 73
      > Bruno i3rgh

      P.S. as this question has been posted to the WSJTGROUP I have answered it here since others may well appreciate the update. I do not currently monitor the new group for HF WSJT users. Sorry if the level of traffic is biased towards HF users but that is where there is currently a lot of development activity. I for one am sure that many features and implementation techniques will eventually improve the experience for users of the other WSJT modes as well.

      73
      Bill
      G4WJS.
    • Brian Duffell
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013
        I'm having similar problems with win7 64bit.

        "i3rgh" <bruno.rod@...> wrote:

        > Hello Joe
        >
        > I installed the beta v.3653 on my Windows 7 64bit. I am using a M-Audio
        > Delta44 as I/O board ( wit M-Audio drivers).
        >
        > I discovered that the audio output (with the Power slider at maximum) is
        > anyway 10 db lower than the previous version.. (and the "standard level I
        > use - with only minimal variations - in all Digital Ham programs, as
        > MIXW,JT65HF,WSPR,WSJT,Digital Master etc.) and sadly the max level is not
        > strong enough to drive my FT-817 to max output. Is it only a my issue?
        >
        > Using the mixer (per-application level control) on the tray bar I
        > discover that the "out level" for WSJT-X is set to 50%, and I can step it
        > up to full output once the trasmission has begun, BUT it RETURNS to 50% on
        > every start of transmission...and I must again set it to 100% to drive the
        > RTX! (this seems to be a bug.. why doesn't stay where I put it ?) This
        > makes the release 3653 very difficult to use, with the level used for
        > other digital modes. I have a 10 dB "spare" output level from the driver
        > which makes possible to "recover", but I must operate nearly "full
        > throttle down" for the audio, and this only for WSJT-X v.3653, while
        > returning to old versions I must return to the "standard" level.
        >
        > Other reports about similar behaviour?
        >
        > Best 73 Bruno i3rgh

        Brian Duffell
        G3VGZ
      • Rudy Benner
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013
          The latest beta improves on that Tx drive problem, not quite there yet, but close.

          Latest version is 3563 and can be found in the usual place.

          It does have a couple of little bugs which can largely be ignored.

          ve3bdr

          Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 11:55 AM
          To: i3rgh
          Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] v.3653 audio out (TX) vs. v.3520

          "i3rgh" <mailto:bruno.rod%40libero.it> wrote:

          > Hello Joe
          >
          > I installed the beta v.3653 on my
          Windows 7 64bit. I am using a M-Audio
          > Delta44 as I/O board ( wit M-Audio
          drivers).

          > I discovered that the audio output (with the Power
          slider at maximum) is
          > anyway 10 db lower than the previous version..
          (and the "standard level I
          > use - with only minimal variations - in all
          Digital Ham programs, as
          > MIXW,JT65HF,WSPR,WSJT,Digital Master etc.) and
          sadly the max level is not
          > strong enough to drive my FT-817 to max
          output. Is it only a my issue?

          > Using the mixer (per-application
          level control) on the tray bar I
          > discover that the "out level" for
          WSJT-X is set to 50%, and I can step it
          > up to full output once the
          trasmission has begun, BUT it RETURNS to 50% on
          > every start of
          transmission...and I must again set it to 100% to drive the
          > RTX! (this
          seems to be a bug.. why doesn't stay where I put it ?) This
          > makes the
          release 3653 very difficult to use, with the level used for
          > other
          digital modes. I have a 10 dB "spare" output level from the driver
          > which
          makes possible to "recover", but I must operate nearly "full
          > throttle
          down" for the audio, and this only for WSJT-X v.3653, while
          > returning to
          old versions I must return to the "standard" level.

          > Other
          reports about similar behaviour?

          > Best 73 Bruno i3rgh

          > WSJTGroup Homepage -->
          href="http://www.wsjtgroup.org/">http://www.wsjtgroup.org/

          Brian Duffell
          G3VGZ

        • i3rgh
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013
            Correction to the Title of my previous message: release in use is 3563 not 3653.. which does not yet exist (in the public domain).
            so the correct title is:

            v.3563 audio out (TX) vs. v.3520

            Best 73

            Bruno i3rgh
          • Giedrius LY2CG
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013
              If there is no connection to the Internet version 1.2 stops working after 5 minutes irrespective  checked or not PSK Reporter in the Configurations... In version 1.1 this was not...

              Giedrius, LY2CG

            • Tony VK2AJF
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013

                Hi Bill, Joe T & Team,

                I too have audio problems with v 3563.  The output audio level is very low compared to previous versions. Furthermore during a transmission the audio stutters on and off when I minimise or maximise any program window.

                Previous versions worked fine in this regard.

                Thanks & Cheers,

                Tony VK2AJF

                "i3rgh" <bruno.rod@...> wrote:

                > Hello Joe
                >
                > I installed the beta v.3653 on my Windows 7 64bit. I am using a M-Audio
                > Delta44 as I/O board ( wit M-Audio drivers).
                >
                > I discovered that the audio output (with the Power slider at maximum) is
                > anyway 10 db lower than the previous version.. (and the "standard level I
                > use - with only minimal variations - in all Digital Ham programs, as
                > MIXW,JT65HF,WSPR,WSJT,Digital Master etc.) and sadly the max level is not
                > strong enough to drive my FT-817 to max output. Is it only a my issue?
                >
                > Using the mixer (per-application level control) on the tray bar I
                > discover that the "out level" for WSJT-X is set to 50%, and I can step it
                > up to full output once the trasmission has begun, BUT it RETURNS to 50% on
                > every start of transmission...and I must again set it to 100% to drive the
                > RTX! (this seems to be a bug.. why doesn't stay where I put it ?) This
                > makes the release 3653 very difficult to use, with the level used for
                > other digital modes. I have a 10 dB "spare" output level from the driver
                > which makes possible to "recover", but I must operate nearly "full
                > throttle down" for the audio, and this only for WSJT-X v.3653, while
                > returning to old versions I must return to the "standard" level.
                >
                > Other reports about similar behaviour?
                >
                > Best 73 Bruno i3rgh

                Brian Duffell
                G3VGZ

              • Ed
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2013

                  I noted this ‘stuttering’ issue in a post I made a couple days ago.  In my case I felt I could circumvent the TX from dropping for a split second by simply increasing the SignaLink USB’s  TX DLY adjustment knob….but that still does not address the actual TX audio itself which is at the root of the issue.   Perhaps someone else on the group can provide more info?

                  Ed   K7AAT

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22, 2013

                    Thanks Bill. I had just wanted to support other comments about the significant reduction in the TX signal  (I have been compensating for this with the Signalink controls).

                    Re the stutters: this occurs on my netbook even when it is not running any other software. It has been fine so far for all prior versions of WSJT-X with the previously-used sound code, as well as for a whole raft of other digital mode AR programs and SDR software. Anyhow maybe it is time to buy a faster portable station rig!?

                    Thanks for your contribution to a fine piece of software.

                    Cheers,

                    Tony

                    On Thursday, August 22, 2013, Bill Somerville wrote:
                    On 21/08/2013 23:47, Tony VK2AJF wrote:

                    Hi Bill, Joe T & Team,
                    Hi Tony,

                    I too have audio problems with v 3563.  The output audio level is very low compared to previous versions. Furthermore during a transmission the audio stutters on and off when I minimise or maximise any program window.
                    The low o/p level can be avoided if you set the Windows speaker level for the sound device you have connected to your radio at the start of a session and do not touch the "Pwr" slider in WSJT-X since that will cause the Windows level to jump back down to 50%.

                    Ok, that is useful information. I thought I had the buffering settings about right but I'm running on a fast machine. The stutters are a sign that the program is not keeping up with the required sound synthesis rate.

                    What else is running on your machine and what hardware and operating system are you using?

                    Previous versions worked fine in this regard.
                    This is a fine tuning requirement which we need to get sorted out. Sorry for the inconvenience with teh o/p levels.

                    Thanks & Cheers,

                    Tony VK2AJF

                    73
                    Bill