JT9 Contest - A Really Bad Idea

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 20, 2013
      I beg to differ on the usefulness of injecting a contest into the
      attempt to popularize a non-contest mode to the general ham population.

      I've been a ham for a long time and certainly enjoy the fray as much as
      the next guy.

      However, the aggressiveness that contests engender, only will serve to
      pollute what is a pretty much genteel environment. Be careful of what
      you wish for.

      What are the expected changes to be seen during and after a JT9 contest?

      More activity? Yes!

      Destruction of gentlemen's agreements concerning the WARC bands? Yes!

      A pileup on and around W1JT's frequency? Yes! And for 500 Hz on either
      side? Yes!

      Enough activity to spill over into the RTTY segment and spoil their fun
      for a change? Yes!

      Incessant CQs every 10 HZ? Yes!

      Excessive power usage? Yes! (Expect RTTY-ready KW's to be used.)

      Multi-Multi efforts? Yes!

      Multi-transmitters within a band? Yes! (One W5 seems to established
      this trend already.)

      Perhaps there might be a better way to popularize JT9.

      How about an activity day-of-the-week?

      Saturday might be a good idea if all it does is relieve some of the
      overcrowding on 20M. Or something like Monday 80M, Tuesday 40M, and so
      on.

      Or maybe, just don't attempt to popularize it at all. It's an
      attractive mode.

      It'll do OK based on its merits.

      Joe, K9HDE
    • chas cartmel
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013

        Joe

        The RSGB have activity nights every Tuesday cycling through different VHF / UHF bands – not sure if 6/4m included here – to attempt to popularise them.  Limited to 2 hours a night I think, and it proves popular. It is a cumulative contest as such but never aggressive.

        This would be my best option also, even forgetting the contest element, just perhaps a ‘bragging board’.

        Need to keep off WARC bands agreed

        73

        Charlie

        www.G4EST.me.uk

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013
          There is also a group that has 1 Watt Sunday (see facebook page).   It has evolved into a informal contest.  All types of postings showing their pride in long distance 1 watt contacts.  They are keeping score, they just don't know it.  More like not admitting it.

          In fact Charlie, I follow RSGB very closely.  It is the RSGB that provided the inspiration for my initial idea.   So…  While Americans may not want to participate, the world remains a much larger place.

          --
          Jeff - KB6IBB

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013

              Jeff / Andy

              Interesting on that group. I will look it up. Antennea here not that good so 1W a bit difficult, however a GAP Titan-DX on order so hoping for better things soon.

              73

              Charlie

              www.G4EST.me.uk

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013
                1 watt Sundays are the bomb!   It's a total blast.   One of the best things about it is that normal operations are used.  Like Andy said, no special exchange, no special CQ.   Which in part gave me inspiration for a more formal contest.   1 watt Sunday proves we don't need any specialized exchange or CQ.  Normal operations work just fine.

                --
                Jeff - KB6IBB