Re: [wsjtgroup] Re: JT65 TX Freq Issue

  • Roger Kendall
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
      I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
      removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
      the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
      everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
      unenlightened please?

      Roger
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
        Thanks to the excellent suggestion from Andy (K3WYC) I have recorded the audio being transmitted by my TS590 radio.

        Here is a recording of the output tones sent when WSJTX and the TS590 are set for split mode and JT65/JT9 operation.  VFO B showed 14.075 and the red transmit cursor was set to +501.  This transmission was spotted at 14.077.5.  (Warning, these files are large, over 9MB each.)

        http://wdworldmap.com/public/badJT65.wav

        And here is the recording after taking the radio and WSJTX out of split mode, VFO A set to 14.076.  This transmission was spotted correctly at 14.076.5.

        http://wdworldmap.com/public/goodJT65.wav

        The 1kHz difference is easily recognizable in the recordings and explains why my signals are being spotted 1kHz higher than expected.

        I use the Kenwood TS590 radio connected via USB to my computer.  WSJTX version 1.1.1 revision 3520.

        Dan
        KJ6RGX

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:

        > Hi Andy,
        >
        > I have no test equipment to measure the audio tones. I did read an article about capturing the tx audio with audacity, if I can find that article again I will see if I can capture the tones. Thanks for the idea.
        >

        > Dan
        > KJ6RGX
        >
        > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k3wyc" a.durbin@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Dan,
        > >
        > > What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > Andy k3wyc.
        > >
        > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
        > > >
        > > > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
        > > >
        > > > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
        > > >
        > > > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
        > > >
        > > > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
        > > >
        > > > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
        > > >
        > > > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@ so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
        > > >

        > > > Dan
        > > > KJ6RGX

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
          > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default
          > setting removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their
          > choice.

          Quite simply - if the default "reply to" is the group, the only reply
          option in many (most) e-mail clients then becomes reply to all. Unless
          it is configured with the "reply to sender" option, Yahoo *hides* the
          sender's email and ordinary users can not even *manually* extract the
          sender's e-mail if they wanted to generate a "private" reply.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 8/20/2013 11:51 AM, Roger Kendall wrote:
          > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
          > removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
          > the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
          > everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
          > unenlightened please?
          >
          > Roger

        • charlie cartmel
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013

            Joe

            I am a member of 9 other Yahoo groups which all have “reply to group” as the default. There has never been an issue to my knowledge when a member has replied to me or the group when the message was  unavoidably duplicated. Perhaps this was the case with very basic email clients in the past but it doesn’t seem to happen now. Could also be the responder at fault not understanding the technology and jumping to the wrong conclusion when less sophisticated software was more common?

            If responses to queries on this forum go direct to the poster then the same question is likely to be asked multiple times or many users respond thinking it hasn’t been answered and simply regurgitate the same information multiple times thus overloading the initial poster and making then wary of asking a question again.

            Surely the weighing up of the pros and cons of the technology in use now must be made in determining the better solution for all forum participants.

            73

            Charlie

            www.G4EST.me.uk

            > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default
            > setting removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their
            > choice.

            Quite simply - if the default "reply to" is the group, the only reply
            option in many (most) e-mail clients then becomes reply to all. Unless
            it is configured with the "reply to sender" option, Yahoo *hides* the
            sender's email and ordinary users can not even *manually* extract the
            sender's e-mail if they wanted to generate a "private" reply.

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 8/20/2013 11:51 AM, Roger Kendall wrote:
            > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
            > removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
            > the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
            > everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
            > unenlightened please?
            >
            > Roger

          • JohnB
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
              That confirms my suspicion that split has it problems. For the record I also have a TS-590S, but I can't believe it's a radio problem. Until this issue is resolved I've given up on dual-mode split operation.

              . . . John (WA3CAS)
            • KQ8M
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013

                I agree that the default should be reply to the list and not just the user.

                73,

                Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                kq8m@...

                AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default
                > setting removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their
                > choice.

                Quite simply - if the default "reply to" is the group, the only reply
                option in many (most) e-mail clients then becomes reply to all. Unless
                it is configured with the "reply to sender" option, Yahoo *hides* the
                sender's email and ordinary users can not even *manually* extract the
                sender's e-mail if they wanted to generate a "private" reply.

                73,

                ... Joe, W4TV

                On 8/20/2013 11:51 AM, Roger Kendall wrote:
                > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
                > removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
                > the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
                > everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
                > unenlightened please?
                >
                > Roger

              • k3wyc
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                  Split mode works fine on the TS-590S most of the time. Anyone working digital modes should (imho)be monitoring their outgoing audio. I once had WSJT-X transmit a tone that was way higher than expected. Restarting wsjt-x without making any configuration changes fixed the problem.

                  WSJT-X has a significant vulnerability in that VFO B is set but never checked.

                  Andy k3wyc

                  --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "JohnB" <brushj@...> wrote:

                  > That confirms my suspicion that split has it problems. For the record I also have a TS-590S, but I can't believe it's a radio problem. Until this issue is resolved I've given up on dual-mode split operation.
                  >
                  > . . . John (WA3CAS)

                • Rudy Benner
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                    I was ready to give up until some kind soul steered me toward using COMMANDER to do the actual CAT.

                    Split works perfect here. Yaesu FT450.

                    --- In mailto:wsjtgroup%40yahoogroups.com, "JohnB" <brushj@...> wrote:

                    > That confirms my suspicion
                    that split has it problems. For the record I also have a TS-590S, but I can't believe it's a radio problem. Until this issue is resolved I've given up on dual-mode split operation.

                    > . . . John
                    (WA3CAS)

                  • Andrew White ZL3CC
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                      It seems to be the tones are correct and you were transmitting on VFO A at 14.076 +501
                      WSJT-X made the tone 1kHz higher because it expected you to be transmitting at 14.075, but split was not actually being used on your radio.

                      73
                      Andrew ZL3CC

                      Thanks to the excellent suggestion from Andy (K3WYC) I have recorded the audio being transmitted by my TS590 radio.

                      Here is a recording of the output tones sent when WSJTX and the TS590 are set for split mode and JT65/JT9 operation.  VFO B showed 14.075 and the red transmit cursor was set to +501.  This transmission was spotted at 14.077.5.  (Warning, these files are large, over 9MB each.)

                      http://wdworldmap.com/public/badJT65.wav

                      And here is the recording after taking the radio and WSJTX out of split mode, VFO A set to 14.076.  This transmission was spotted correctly at 14.076.5.

                      http://wdworldmap.com/public/goodJT65.wav

                      The 1kHz difference is easily recognizable in the recordings and explains why my signals are being spotted 1kHz higher than expected.

                      I use the Kenwood TS590 radio connected via USB to my computer.  WSJTX version 1.1.1 revision 3520.

                      Dan
                      KJ6RGX

                      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:

                      > Hi Andy,
                      >
                      > I have no test equipment to measure the audio tones. I did read an article about capturing the tx audio with audacity, if I can find that article again I will see if I can capture the tones. Thanks for the idea.
                      >

                      > Dan
                      > KJ6RGX
                      >
                      > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k3wyc" a.durbin@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dan,
                      > >
                      > > What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.
                      > >
                      > > 73,
                      > > Andy k3wyc.
                      > >
                      > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
                      > > >
                      > > > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
                      > > >
                      > > > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
                      > > >
                      > > > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
                      > > >
                      > > > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
                      > > >
                      > > > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
                      > > >
                      > > > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@ so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
                      > > >

                      > > > Dan
                      > > > KJ6RGX

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                        With VFO B at 14.075 why is my signal at 14.077 + offset?

                        14.075.000 + 1kHz + 501 = 14.076.501

                        Dan
                        KJ6RGX