Bug or not?

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013

      I operate WSJTX and JTAlert on two computer screens…. The main program on one, and the Wide Graph on the other monitor.  The other monitor also has the window for my email.   Often during WSJTX JT9 operations I will minimize the wide graphy so I can look at my email screen.

      I have noticed that whenever I minimize or bring back the wide graph window,  my transmitter will momentarily stop transmitting during the JT9 transmission.  It only seems to be a fraction of a second and I have not noticed any loss of QSO ability due to this hiccup,  but was wondering if it is something that should be addressed?

      Ed   K7AAT    Windows7 32bit,  IC746Pro and SignaLink USB interface.

    • Rudy Benner
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013
        Are you using VOX or CAT for PTT?

        ve3bdr

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 19, 2013

          VOX keying by the SignaLink…. Into my Icom’s ACCY jack.

          Ed  K7AAT

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013

            Actually,  the solution to my problem posted last night is easy for me,  as another ham advised me this morning.  I always run the TX Delay control on my SignaLink USB at minimum ( No TX delay )  because I also use it for RMS Express and Winmor WinLink communications which requires no delay.   All I need do is turn up the delay a bit and my interrupted TX should go away.

            Thanks to all.

            Ed   K7AAT

          • Tony VK2AJF

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013

                Tony,

                Turning up the DLY on the SignaLink USB will not delay the START of a transmission unless you crank it up beyond several seconds….and I don’t think it will go that long even at max setting.   What turning it up a little,  as you have done,  is just delay the transmitter from dropping out of transmit when the audio coming from WSJT-X momentarily disappears and then reappears,  as is notable on this issue.  Still,   one wonders what effect that momentarily disappearing audio will have on a distant station’s decode reliability.

                Ed   K7AAT

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
                  Hi Ed,

                  Yes of course you are right. Increasing the Signalink's TX Delay setting will keep the transmitter keyed up during these interruptions to the program's output. However the data being transmitted is indeed still interrupted. You can hear this if you use your rig's monitor setting to listen to the stream of transmitted JT65 sounds while you minimise or maximise a window.

                  So the problem is still there. It may be that a faster processor is needed than the one in the netbook I use for my portable station.

                  Cheers,

                  Tony VK2AJF

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 22, 2013

                    Tony,  My processor is an AMD triple core, running about 2.6GHZ.   I do have a few other programs running in the background…..FireFox,  Outlook email, and maybe one other program sometimes,  but if this processor cannot handle these interruptions in WSJT-X when minimizing windows, etc.,  then I think Joe may have some more coding to do on the program.    On the other hand I have not experienced any failure of the station on the other end of my QSO to decode my transmission….even when it had one or two of these interruptions -- so maybe we have nothing to be concerned about?

                    73

                    Ed   K7AAT