Re: [wsjtgroup] my only complaint

  • Ed Wilson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
      I believe that Joe Taylor and perhaps some of his WSJT-X team members are currently working on a QST article. This would not prevent someone else from writing another article...more from the user perspective.

      Things are picking up, but mostly on 20 meters. I jumped on the JT9 bandwagon a couple of weeks after it was released to the public last fall and have made about 800 JT9 contacts with 48 states and about 50 countries. At first, it was very difficult to find someone new using that mode and now things have changed for the better. I wish there was a way to increase usage on bands other than 20 meters, however...I am not sure that a contest is the answer, but I am at a loss to suggest anything else.

      Ed, K0KC

      From: chas cartmel <chas@...>
      Date: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:58 AM
      To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

      Ed
      With you there. I am surprised that JT9 has not had more followers, however I note that on looking at pskreporter hits many even the majority perhaps, are using JT65-HF so do not have access to Joe’s superb software. I did a check yesterday and posted results to the group comparing JT65=HF to Joe’s software and while it decoded signals when the clock was out of synch better it missed the weaker signals which is where JT9 would be a big advantage.

      73
      Charlie
      www.G4EST.me.uk

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
        Congrats Gary! I am looking forward to reading your article. I have always been a pretty good writer, but I guess that I am getting lazy in my old age...I should "crank" something out too.

        Ed, K0KC

        I have written an article from the user's perspective and it will be posted on the ARRL website under "News and Features" next week.  I posted this same information on the wsjtgroup site this morning, but perhaps I didn't navigate properly to get it approved onto the yahoo groups page.

        The article is on my website if you wish to take a "pre-production" glance:  http://www.w4gal.com/JT9

        I am in the process of writing another one, and I like and relate to your words: user perspective, because that's what I do.  I'm not knowledgable from the technical side of the house.

        73, Gary  W4GAL

        ---------------------------
        I have an unequaled gift.. of squeezing BIG mistakes into LOST opportunities.
        W9OL-Bill H. in Chicagoland
        webcams at http://w9ol-towercam.webhop.org:8080
        My weatherpage at http://home.comcast.net/~w9ol/WX/HH.htm

        gary@...

      • chas cartmel
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013

          Ed

          Just checked your article, very good and should stir some interest. I am trying to publicise the mode on my own site and ask that when your article is published if I may refer to it through my own WSJT page.

          One comment however. The screenshot you are using is of a very old version and layout is somewhat different now. If anybody cross-references to Joe’s instructions they may get a tad confused.

          I have also added in links to JT-AlertX which is a perfect companion (IMHO) for DXCC, WAS hunters etc which is another ‘selling’ point.

          Good Work there Ed

          73

          Charlie

          www.G4EST.me.uk

          From: chas cartmel <chas@...>
          Date: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:58 AM
          To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
            Gary,

            Nice article!

            I am restricted to indoor and stealth antennas here as well. Most of my JT9 contacts have been with an MFJ loop antenna in the attic above the garage. I have a pretty good antenna farm up there with dipoles, random wires, a 2m/70cm vertical, and a 6m square loop.

            Ed, K0KC

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
              I can imagine what would happen if 10 to 49 watts and 50+ watts were used. It would be a disaster. Many like myself would not participate because of the tremendous QRM. I for one do not feel a contest on this basis is a good idea. If you were considering submitting QSO logs over an extended period made under normal conditions who knows. Possibly many would see the number of contacts,distances or countries,and possibly the conditions they are being made under and be impressed with the result. Please do not have a weak signal mode be assaulted in this manner.
              73 Fred N9GUE
            • Jeff Stillinger
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                Fred,

                In reality, there are many 50-100 watt stations using JT9 and JT65 every day.   The average power used, by admission of the stations, is 25-35 watts.  However, I have seen admissions of 300 watts.  If a 35 watt station is acceptable out side of a contest, then it would be acceptable within the confines of a contest.   You will note that the higher power used, the fewer points a station could obtain.  Higher power could actually loose the contest for the operator.   Again, die hard contesters are going to operate to extract the highest number of points per hour.   Which would be 1-10 watts.

                As far a log submitted over time, we already have awards for that.   DXCC, WAS, WAC, etc…  Funny how not many are showing off the awards.   I have seen a few WAS's, no DXCC that I know of.

                --
                Jeff - KB6IBB

                From: fred_darrah <cfdarrah@...>
                Date: Monday, August 19, 2013 6:45 PM
                To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: [wsjtgroup] JT9 Contest

                I can imagine what would happen if 10 to 49 watts and 50+ watts were used. It would be a disaster. Many like myself would not participate because of the tremendous QRM. I for one do not feel a contest on this basis is a good idea. If you were considering submitting QSO logs over an extended period made under normal conditions who knows. Possibly many would see the number of contacts,distances or countries,and possibly the conditions they are being made under and be impressed with the result. Please do not have a weak signal mode be assaulted in this manner.
                73 Fred N9GUE

              • kc2wuf
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                  Jeff,

                  I believe the reason for no DXCC awards being discussed is that until ARRL changes the DXCC awards rules, there are no awards for individual modes, just CW, Phone and Digital (used to be called RTTY). There is discussion at ARRL of expanding the awards and I believe individual modes for DXCC might be one of the endorsements added.

                  73 David KC2WUF

                  --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Stillinger <kb6ibb@...> wrote:
                  > As far a log submitted over time, we already have awards for that. DXCC,
                  > WAS, WAC, etcŠ Funny how not many are showing off the awards. I have seen
                  > a few WAS's, no DXCC that I know of.
                • Hisami DEJIMA
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                    very interesting.

                    Too strong signals are disadvantage of the HF WSJT community.
                    The Alligator should receive penalty. hi

                    73, Hisami 7L4IOU

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 5, 2013
                      Hi Thomas,

                      Thanks for your interest in WSJT-X.

                      W4HM wrote:
                      > With all due respect to your suggestion, as an avid CW and RTTY contester, a
                      > contest involving the JT9 mode would be an unworkable catastrophe because of
                      > the inherent latency in copying the other stations signals time wise. You
                      > would just end up with everyone transmitting one on top of another with no
                      > one printing received signals.

                      For what it's worth: the ARRL EME contest works extremely well using the
                      JT65 protocol. JT65 has the same timing and latencies as JT9.

                      True, the maximum QSO rate is about 15 per hour, no great shakes by HF
                      standards. But in most EME circumstances that's about as good as it
                      gets, with any mode.

                      That said, I'm pretty sure that a JT9 contest at HF would have plenty of
                      other problems -- not least because signal levels can very over a vastly
                      larger range than EME signals do.

                      > ... Many find
                      > WSJT-X clunky and as it's the only available software in existence for JT9,
                      > the mode is under used.
                      >
                      > I personally find the undockable windows in WSJT-X very clunky and
                      > unpleasent to use and tolerate it only because I love the JT9 mode so much.
                      > It's especially cumbersome when I have other software windows open at the
                      > same time.

                      As far as I know, most users find the WSJT-X GUI to be somewhere between
                      good and excellent. Whatever the truth of that statement might be,
                      "clunky" is not a helpful description of whatever things you may dislike
                      about it.

                      Separately movable and resizable windows for the waterfall and main
                      window offer maximum freedom in the way you set up your screen. We
                      developers can hardly plan for detailed accommodation of every user's
                      "other software windows open at the same time". However, I usually have
                      such a situation, also -- and I don't find any "clunky" limitations to
                      how I want to arrange things.

                      If you have some good ideas about how to make WSJT-X better, please
                      spell them out and share them with us. If you can program, feel free to
                      contribute -- that's why all WSJT-related programs are open source. If
                      you can't contribute in that way, feel free to make a thorough and
                      thoughtful feature request.