JT65 TX Freq Issue

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 18, 2013
      I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.

      I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.

      To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:

      http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png

      I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.

      If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.

      What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@... so we can schedule a time. Thanks.

      Dan
      KJ6RGX
    • JohnB
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 18, 2013
        Dan,

        I've experienced the same frequency-shift problem. I'm thinking that when running split (simplex works great) there is a particular combination of receive frequency (VFO A) and transmit frequency (VFO B) that causes the wrong audio tones to be generated, causing the actual transmit frequency to higher than it should be.

        I first learned of this problem when I received an e-mail from a ham who said that he saw me answering a CQ, but noticed my transmit frequency was 1 kHz higher than the station calling CQ.

        Come to think of it, there have been times that I've answered CQs from strong stations that should have heard me, but didn't. At first I thought it was band conditions, or a poor receiver on their part HI HI, but now I'm thinking it was because I was transmitting on the wrong frequency. Just yesterday I was working split and answered a station calling CQ, but couldn't make contact. After the third CQ I switched to simplex and made contact immediately.

        This will be a very difficult problem to verify, or even convince someone that the problem actually exists. Why heck, I'm not fully convinced. Good luck in your search for the truth.

        . . . John (WA3CAS)
      • k3wyc
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
          Dan,

          What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.

          73,
          Andy k3wyc.

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

          > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
          >
          > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
          >
          > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
          >
          > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
          >
          > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
          >
          > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
          >
          > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@... so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
          >

          > Dan
          > KJ6RGX

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 19, 2013
            Hi Andy,

            I have no test equipment to measure the audio tones. I did read an article about capturing the tx audio with audacity, if I can find that article again I will see if I can capture the tones. Thanks for the idea.

            Dan
            KJ6RGX

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k3wyc" <a.durbin@...> wrote:

            > Dan,
            >
            > What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.
            >
            > 73,
            > Andy k3wyc.
            >
            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <kj6rgx@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
            > >
            > > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
            > >
            > > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
            > >
            > > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
            > >
            > > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
            > >
            > > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
            > >
            > > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@ so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
            > >

            > > Dan
            > > KJ6RGX

          • chas cartmel
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013

              Andy

              The peculiarity of this group is that it defaults to sending the reply to the individual poster rather than the group. If I feel that the group will benefit I manually change the ‘To’ field otherwise I accept the default. In this case you were the unintended target when I meant it to go to Dan. Now sent on to the group.

              Darned annoying and easy to forget as this is the only group that I am a member of that does this. Apologies.

              73

              Charlie

              www.G4EST.me.uk

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013

                I find this default reply feature extremely annoying.   Most,  I say again  MOST of the communications here are intended for the group,  are they not?   Every time I post a question I get a hoard of private emails in my inbox and little or nothing to the group.   This defeats the purpose of having a discussion group in my view.  No one in the group sees the added input or information to my questions,  and I get a lot of unnecessary traffic show up in my inbox that I would rather see in the discussion group that I signed up for.

                In my view the moderator, by keeping the reply process this way, is catering to a small minority rather than a large majority of users who would prefer a normal discussion group rather than a bunch of private emails.

                Ed   K7AAT

                I have a TS570D and the screen shows the VFO A and VFO B frequencies. In split mode when I click the mouse in the Wide Graph I can see the VFO B frequency change on the rig (my polling interval in configuration dialogue = 1). When I TX these VFOs switch on the screen. I wonder if you rig behaves similarly?

                Matter complicated more now as the TX shift seems to be in 500Hz steps now!

                Hope it helps

                What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.

                73,
                Andy k3wyc.

                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

                > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
                >
                > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
                >
                > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
                >
                > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
                >
                > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
                >
                > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
                >
                > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@... so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
                >

                > Dan
                > KJ6RGX

              • Joe Subich, W4TV
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                  > In my view the moderator, by keeping the reply process this way, is
                  > catering to a small minority rather than a large majority of users
                  > who would prefer a normal discussion group rather than a bunch of
                  > private emails.

                  Look, the server for this group is configured the way professional
                  e-mail reflectors are supposed to work - and the way they work in
                  the "real world" - beyond the realm ego networks. It is and always
                  should be the responder's choice whether he/she replies to the poster
                  or to the group and a default "reply all" takes away that choice.

                  If you don't like the way this software operates, form your own group
                  elsewhere where you can dictate operation - otherwise, please spare us
                  from the hand wringing.

                  73,

                  ... Joe, W4TV

                  On 8/20/2013 11:15 AM, Ed wrote:

                  > I find this default reply feature extremely annoying. Most, I say again
                  > MOST of the communications here are intended for the group, are they not?
                  > Every time I post a question I get a hoard of private emails in my inbox and
                  > little or nothing to the group. This defeats the purpose of having a
                  > discussion group in my view. No one in the group sees the added input or
                  > information to my questions, and I get a lot of unnecessary traffic show up
                  > in my inbox that I would rather see in the discussion group that I signed up
                  > for.
                  >

                  > In my view the moderator, by keeping the reply process this way, is catering
                  > to a small minority rather than a large majority of users who would prefer a
                  > normal discussion group rather than a bunch of private emails.
                  >

                  > Ed K7AAT

                • Roger Kendall
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                    I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
                    removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
                    the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
                    everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
                    unenlightened please?

                    Roger
                  • Dan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                      Thanks to the excellent suggestion from Andy (K3WYC) I have recorded the audio being transmitted by my TS590 radio.

                      Here is a recording of the output tones sent when WSJTX and the TS590 are set for split mode and JT65/JT9 operation.  VFO B showed 14.075 and the red transmit cursor was set to +501.  This transmission was spotted at 14.077.5.  (Warning, these files are large, over 9MB each.)

                      http://wdworldmap.com/public/badJT65.wav

                      And here is the recording after taking the radio and WSJTX out of split mode, VFO A set to 14.076.  This transmission was spotted correctly at 14.076.5.

                      http://wdworldmap.com/public/goodJT65.wav

                      The 1kHz difference is easily recognizable in the recordings and explains why my signals are being spotted 1kHz higher than expected.

                      I use the Kenwood TS590 radio connected via USB to my computer.  WSJTX version 1.1.1 revision 3520.

                      Dan
                      KJ6RGX

                      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:

                      > Hi Andy,
                      >
                      > I have no test equipment to measure the audio tones. I did read an article about capturing the tx audio with audacity, if I can find that article again I will see if I can capture the tones. Thanks for the idea.
                      >

                      > Dan
                      > KJ6RGX
                      >
                      > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k3wyc" a.durbin@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Dan,
                      > >
                      > > What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.
                      > >
                      > > 73,
                      > > Andy k3wyc.
                      > >
                      > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
                      > > >
                      > > > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
                      > > >
                      > > > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
                      > > >
                      > > > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
                      > > >
                      > > > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
                      > > >
                      > > > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
                      > > >
                      > > > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@ so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
                      > > >

                      > > > Dan
                      > > > KJ6RGX

                    • Joe Subich, W4TV
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                        > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default
                        > setting removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their
                        > choice.

                        Quite simply - if the default "reply to" is the group, the only reply
                        option in many (most) e-mail clients then becomes reply to all. Unless
                        it is configured with the "reply to sender" option, Yahoo *hides* the
                        sender's email and ordinary users can not even *manually* extract the
                        sender's e-mail if they wanted to generate a "private" reply.

                        73,

                        ... Joe, W4TV

                        On 8/20/2013 11:51 AM, Roger Kendall wrote:
                        > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
                        > removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
                        > the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
                        > everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
                        > unenlightened please?
                        >
                        > Roger

                      • charlie cartmel
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013

                          Joe

                          I am a member of 9 other Yahoo groups which all have “reply to group” as the default. There has never been an issue to my knowledge when a member has replied to me or the group when the message was  unavoidably duplicated. Perhaps this was the case with very basic email clients in the past but it doesn’t seem to happen now. Could also be the responder at fault not understanding the technology and jumping to the wrong conclusion when less sophisticated software was more common?

                          If responses to queries on this forum go direct to the poster then the same question is likely to be asked multiple times or many users respond thinking it hasn’t been answered and simply regurgitate the same information multiple times thus overloading the initial poster and making then wary of asking a question again.

                          Surely the weighing up of the pros and cons of the technology in use now must be made in determining the better solution for all forum participants.

                          73

                          Charlie

                          www.G4EST.me.uk

                          > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default
                          > setting removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their
                          > choice.

                          Quite simply - if the default "reply to" is the group, the only reply
                          option in many (most) e-mail clients then becomes reply to all. Unless
                          it is configured with the "reply to sender" option, Yahoo *hides* the
                          sender's email and ordinary users can not even *manually* extract the
                          sender's e-mail if they wanted to generate a "private" reply.

                          73,

                          ... Joe, W4TV

                          On 8/20/2013 11:51 AM, Roger Kendall wrote:
                          > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
                          > removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
                          > the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
                          > everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
                          > unenlightened please?
                          >
                          > Roger

                        • JohnB
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                            That confirms my suspicion that split has it problems. For the record I also have a TS-590S, but I can't believe it's a radio problem. Until this issue is resolved I've given up on dual-mode split operation.

                            . . . John (WA3CAS)
                          • KQ8M
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013

                              I agree that the default should be reply to the list and not just the user.

                              73,

                              Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                              Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                              kq8m@...

                              AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                              > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default
                              > setting removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their
                              > choice.

                              Quite simply - if the default "reply to" is the group, the only reply
                              option in many (most) e-mail clients then becomes reply to all. Unless
                              it is configured with the "reply to sender" option, Yahoo *hides* the
                              sender's email and ordinary users can not even *manually* extract the
                              sender's e-mail if they wanted to generate a "private" reply.

                              73,

                              ... Joe, W4TV

                              On 8/20/2013 11:51 AM, Roger Kendall wrote:
                              > I am sorry Joe but I do not understand how altering the default setting
                              > removes a person's ability to reply direct if that is their choice. On all
                              > the group e-mails I receive the options at the base of the post give
                              > everyone a free hand to do as they please. Can you explain to the
                              > unenlightened please?
                              >
                              > Roger

                            • k3wyc
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                Split mode works fine on the TS-590S most of the time. Anyone working digital modes should (imho)be monitoring their outgoing audio. I once had WSJT-X transmit a tone that was way higher than expected. Restarting wsjt-x without making any configuration changes fixed the problem.

                                WSJT-X has a significant vulnerability in that VFO B is set but never checked.

                                Andy k3wyc

                                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "JohnB" <brushj@...> wrote:

                                > That confirms my suspicion that split has it problems. For the record I also have a TS-590S, but I can't believe it's a radio problem. Until this issue is resolved I've given up on dual-mode split operation.
                                >
                                > . . . John (WA3CAS)

                              • Rudy Benner
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                  I was ready to give up until some kind soul steered me toward using COMMANDER to do the actual CAT.

                                  Split works perfect here. Yaesu FT450.

                                  --- In mailto:wsjtgroup%40yahoogroups.com, "JohnB" <brushj@...> wrote:

                                  > That confirms my suspicion
                                  that split has it problems. For the record I also have a TS-590S, but I can't believe it's a radio problem. Until this issue is resolved I've given up on dual-mode split operation.

                                  > . . . John
                                  (WA3CAS)

                                • Andrew White ZL3CC
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 20, 2013
                                    It seems to be the tones are correct and you were transmitting on VFO A at 14.076 +501
                                    WSJT-X made the tone 1kHz higher because it expected you to be transmitting at 14.075, but split was not actually being used on your radio.

                                    73
                                    Andrew ZL3CC

                                    Thanks to the excellent suggestion from Andy (K3WYC) I have recorded the audio being transmitted by my TS590 radio.

                                    Here is a recording of the output tones sent when WSJTX and the TS590 are set for split mode and JT65/JT9 operation.  VFO B showed 14.075 and the red transmit cursor was set to +501.  This transmission was spotted at 14.077.5.  (Warning, these files are large, over 9MB each.)

                                    http://wdworldmap.com/public/badJT65.wav

                                    And here is the recording after taking the radio and WSJTX out of split mode, VFO A set to 14.076.  This transmission was spotted correctly at 14.076.5.

                                    http://wdworldmap.com/public/goodJT65.wav

                                    The 1kHz difference is easily recognizable in the recordings and explains why my signals are being spotted 1kHz higher than expected.

                                    I use the Kenwood TS590 radio connected via USB to my computer.  WSJTX version 1.1.1 revision 3520.

                                    Dan
                                    KJ6RGX

                                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:

                                    > Hi Andy,
                                    >
                                    > I have no test equipment to measure the audio tones. I did read an article about capturing the tx audio with audacity, if I can find that article again I will see if I can capture the tones. Thanks for the idea.
                                    >

                                    > Dan
                                    > KJ6RGX
                                    >
                                    > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k3wyc" a.durbin@ wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Dan,
                                    > >
                                    > > What sync tone freqency did you hear using TX-MONI? It should have been 1305Hz. Was it 2305Hz? The difference should be obvious.
                                    > >
                                    > > 73,
                                    > > Andy k3wyc.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I can't get my head around what is wrong and need some advice. Running v3520 in split mode, set for both JT65 and JT9, and VFO A set to 14.076.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I select to transmit at +305 JT65 CQ. VFO B shows as being at 14.075. My transmitted signal should be at 14.076.3. But the person responding to me is at 14.077.3, exactly 1kHz higher than me.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > To see what this looked like on my end I have uploaded an screen grab image that shows this QSO at:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > http://wdworldmap.com/public/wsjtx_kj6rgx.png
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I checked hamspot.net and saw one other station spotting me at 14.077.3.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > If I then switch both WSJTX and my TS590 out of split mode and set up for JT65 ONLY and transmit again everyone spotting me now shows me at 14.076.3.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > What I would like to do is work one-on-one with someone to do some testing so I can figure out what my issue is. If anyone would like to work with me please email me at mycall@ so we can schedule a time. Thanks.
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Dan
                                    > > > KJ6RGX

                                  • Dan
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 21, 2013
                                      With VFO B at 14.075 why is my signal at 14.077 + offset?

                                      14.075.000 + 1kHz + 501 = 14.076.501

                                      Dan
                                      KJ6RGX