Re: 10dB RX Level Shift after TX

  • k0og
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
      Here is another clue to follow...

      I found that if I exit WSJT-X and do not make any changes to the Windows level faders, then open WSJT-X again, the RX audio level comes up as normal, and I observe no 10dB jump after a TX. However, if I exit WSJT-X, make a change to the Windows LINE IN level fader, then get back into WSJT-X, the 10dB shift after TX appears. Adjustment of no fader other than LINE IN has this effect. So, it appears that the problem has some relation to the interaction between WSJT-X and Windows XP LINE IN fader.

      -Joe-
    • k0og
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
        I came up with a temporary work-around using a Windows batch file to close then re-open WSJT-X without making any adjustments to Windows faders between the two instances.

        =====
        @echo off

        start C:\progra~1\QuickMix\QuickMix.exe c:\docume~1\jcounsil\mydocu~1\_Quickmix\wsjtx.qmx
        start c:\wsjtx11\wsjtx.exe

        ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 > nul
        taskkill /F /IM wsjtx.exe
        taskkill /F /IM jt9.exe

        start c:\wsjtx11\wsjtx.exe

        exit
        =====

        This works nicely, but of course is a kludge of a work-around and does not fix the real problem.

        73,
        -Joe-

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k0og" <counsil@...> wrote:

        > Here is another clue to follow...
        >
        > I found that if I exit WSJT-X and do not make any changes to the Windows level faders, then open WSJT-X again, the RX audio level comes up as normal, and I observe no 10dB jump after a TX. However, if I exit WSJT-X, make a change to the Windows LINE IN level fader, then get back into WSJT-X, the 10dB shift after TX appears. Adjustment of no fader other than LINE IN has this effect. So, it appears that the problem has some relation to the interaction between WSJT-X and Windows XP LINE IN fader.
        >
        > -Joe-

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 18, 2013
          WindowsXP allows applications to set the *hardware* gain on the sound
          card. Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 make that gain "virtual" - a separate
          level for each application. You are seeing a conflict between
          applications in XP - time to upgrade since support for XP goes away in
          less than a year anyway and Microsoft is *three generations* past XP.

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV