my only complaint

  • bill
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 17, 2013
      so many JT65 sigs on 20 and very few JT9 on any band.

      Thanks Joe,
      --

      An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.
      ---------------------------

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 17, 2013

        Yes,  I am making a stand of one to ignore JT65 and stick with JT9 !

        Ed   K7AAT

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 18, 2013

          Ed

          With you there. I am surprised that JT9 has not had more followers, however I note that on looking at pskreporter hits many even the majority perhaps, are using JT65-HF so do not have access to Joe’s superb software. I did a check yesterday and posted results to the group comparing JT65=HF to Joe’s software and while it decoded signals when the clock was out of synch better it missed the weaker signals which is where JT9 would be a big advantage.

          73

          Charlie

          www.G4EST.me.uk

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
            Ed and Charlie,

            I have thought about this a lot over the past month or so.   I too see JT65 users constantly out numbering the JT9 users.   A big shot in the arm for JT9 would be to have a fully authorized JT9 contest.   A contest would get some good write ups in the ham media, demonstrate the mode, and improve operator skill.

            Putting together the contest is rather simple, however, there is a lot of work involved.  I can write the rules and awards.  I would need a media volunteer.  Someone who can not only get the word out in multiple countries, but corporate sponsorships as well.   Then 3 or 4 log overseers.  Maybe with some keen computer skills that could automate the logging process.  I have even thought about the integrity system and having the contesters simply submit a log summary sheet.   Still will need volunteers to go over the summary sheets to calculate the winners.

            What makes this contest super special is that no other commonly used mode in ham radio can say it's inventor actively uses it.  You won't QSO with Sam Morse or Glenn Watson.  The media person would have to talk Joe into personally signing the grand prize certificate.

            Here is a rough sketch of the point layout, based on output power…

            50+ watts PEP = 0.25 points
            10-49 watts PEP = 0.50 points
            5-10 watts PEP = 0.75 points
            1-5 watts PEP = 1.0 points

            One time awarded bonus points:
            Working K1JT = 200 bonus points  <- assuming the media person can con Joe into working the contest.
            Working all Continents = 150 bonus points
            Working a contest organizer (the volunteers) =  50 bonus points
            1-10 watt stations, 25 bonus points for each station worked over 12,000 km from QTH
            1-10 watt stations, 25 bonus points for each Dxepedtion station worked

            Prizes:
            World Wide, JT9, Grand Master  (Grand Prize)
            World Wide, JT9 Master (Second Place)
            World Wide, JT9 Journeyman (Third Place)

            Anyone with the skills wish to donate some time and effort to launch a JT9 contest?
            --
            Jeff - KB6IBB

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013

              Jeff

              This is a thought I had toyed around with for a few minutes but got no further than thinking about exchanges. I could handle the technical side as in my working life I was heavily involved with data, validation, structure and utilising many query and analysis tools, and latterly with web data interfaces.

              Could of course publicise through the RSGB and their news broadcasts

              The downside will be length of each valid QSO, possible format – note format differences minutes 1 and 5

              Min 1

              TEST G4EST IO83

              Min 2

              G4EST K6BBB DM24

              Min 3

              K6BBB G4EST -10

              Min 4

              G4EST K6BBB R-12

              Min 5

              K6BBB G4EST R-12

              Min 6

              Change TX odd – even?

              The normal conditions of exchanging and correctly acknowledging reports are met, but over a minimum 5 minute QSO

              = 12 / hour

              = 288 over 24 hour period (we wish)

              Perhaps monthly activity nights say 4 hours with a 2 hour incrementing start time to cover propagation over time of day? Need to avoid RTTY contest periods as the JT9 spectrum at this location this last weekend was unusable  due to RTTY QRM.

              Might be worth putting a Yahoo Group poll out to see who may be interested.

              73

              Charlie

              www.G4EST.me.uk

              From: chas cartmel <chas@...>
              Date: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:58 AM
              To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                Eddy, that is a good idea.  The goals of the contest are to inspire a new mode.  Along those lines, the contest can also inspire the use of less used ham bands.

                1-10 watt stations, 10 bonus points for each contact on 60 meters (I believe that JT9 meets all the 60 meter requirements).
                1-10 watt stations, 5 bonus points for each contact on the 17 and 12 meter bands.

                Comments welcome…

                --
                Jeff - KB6IBB

                From: <digisignal@...>
                Date: Monday, August 19, 2013 8:02 AM
                To: Jeff Stillinger <kb6ibb@...>

                JT9 is picking up a little at a time. I'm starting to get more contacts on different bands. Maybe add to the contest points per band or more bands.

                73 Eddy N4ABN

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                  From: Jeff Stillinger <kb6ibb@...>
                  Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 Time: 08:24:41

                  >Along those lines, the contest can also inspire the use of less
                  >used ham bands.

                  Probably OK for 60m, but don't forget that contests won't be welcome on
                  the WARC bands.

                  Ian, G3NRW
                • Jeff Stillinger
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                    Hi Charlie,

                    Keep in the back of your mind…  My brain has three ham radio modes.  DX, Contest, Fun.

                    Following my U.S. Field Day experience working 65 and 9 exclusively.  QSO exchange is rather long, but, that is the mode.  Because I was competing with different modes during field day.   I didn't bother sending in my score sheet.   After all calculations were done, I got 420 total F.D.  points.  Pathetic score when competing against CW and SSB.   I would not expect to see a winner with 10,000 points.   I would expect to see the winner in the mid 300's, maybe high 400's depending upon the bonus points.   I think to properly showcase the mode, the contest should stick to the standard format.

                    Propagation is one reason I did not consider breaking things down by band.  Die hard contesters will select the band/s at any one point in time that will best extract the maximum number of points.   If there are ZL and VK stations on 40 meters, but not on 20, I would expect the U.S. contesters to go for the distance bonus.   The 3 hour updates from the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center are a contesters best friend.

                    --
                    Jeff - KB6IBB

                    From: chas cartmel <chas@...>
                    Date: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:58 AM
                    To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                      Contests are specifically discouraged on the "WARC" bands and 60
                      meters.

                      73,

                      ... Joe, W4TV

                    • Kai
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                        Hi Jeff,
                        Yes both JT9 and JT65 emissions meet the requirements for 60 m band use. However, all transmissions must be centered 1500 Hz above the 60 m band channel frequency (the dial frequency for most ham radio rigs), AND you must retain the capability of listening in upper SSB in case the primary user wants you to stop transmitting. That's easy, you are already listening in upper SSB.

                        By the way, the older JT65-HF application is somewhat difficult to use because it is difficult to find 1500 kHz above the dial frequency for the center of that transmission on that waterfall display.

                        I don't think that contest use is consistent with 60 m band operations - same for the WARC bands. But, nothing wrong with a QSO party is there?

                        73
                        Kai, KE4PT

                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                          With all due respect to your suggestion, as an avid CW and RTTY contester, a
                          contest involving the JT9 mode would be an unworkable catastrophe because of
                          the inherent latency in copying the other stations signals time wise. You
                          would just end up with everyone transmitting one on top of another with no
                          one printing received signals.

                          In the RTTY mode the received signal is printed out in real time and can be
                          reponded to in real time. Even PSK31 is unsuitable for contesting due to the
                          little squelch tail transmitted at the end and other tuning issues.

                          Having said all of that we do sure need more activity on JT9. Most of my JT9
                          contacts are on 20 meters with many lesser numbers on 30 and 17 meters. JT9
                          is a much better weak signal mode than JT65A. Just this morning on 20
                          meters I worked JA0FOX via long path while transmitting with only 4 watts
                          and a wire antenna.

                          My JT65A QSO's beat my JT9 QSO's by about a 10:1 ratio. I suspect that most
                          hams operating JT65A use the JT65-HF software rather than WSJT-X. Many find
                          WSJT-X clunky and as it's the only available software in existence for JT9,
                          the mode is under used.

                          I personally find the undockable windows in WSJT-X very clunky and
                          unpleasent to use and tolerate it only because I love the JT9 mode so much.
                          It's especially cumbersome when I have other software windows open at the
                          same time.

                          73 & GUD DX,
                          Thomas F. Giella W4HM
                          Lakeland, FL, USA
                          w4hm@...

                          BARTG #8531
                          PODXS 070 #349
                          FELD HELD #141
                          30MDG # 691
                          DMC #1243
                          WARC-CC #20

                          W4HM Amateur Radio & SWL Autobiography: http://www.w4hm.org
                        • Jack W6NF

                            From: chas cartmel <chas@...>
                            Date: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:58 AM
                            To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

[...]

                            Contests also reside in the fun category for my XYL and me...unless one encounters a class M solar flare. :>)

                            We listened for JT activity in the TARA Melee, which allows digital modes besides RTTY. I decoded dozens of signals and did not encounter a single contest QSO. Granted, the exchange does not encourage a high rate, for that you'd run PSK, but I was surprised at the total lack of activity. Yes, I did call CQ occasionally but got no replies.

                            Jack, W6NF/VE4
                            Shelley, K7MKL/VE4
                          • Ed
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013

                              Contest?  Perhaps a good idea,  maybe.  I’ll tell you what got my attention and interest for JT-65 initially.  It was a nice write-up in QST magazine.   Perhaps someone on this list would care to submit a nice JT-9 starter article to ARRL for publication?

                              Ed   K7AAT

                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                                I believe that Joe Taylor and perhaps some of his WSJT-X team members are currently working on a QST article. This would not prevent someone else from writing another article...more from the user perspective.

                                Things are picking up, but mostly on 20 meters. I jumped on the JT9 bandwagon a couple of weeks after it was released to the public last fall and have made about 800 JT9 contacts with 48 states and about 50 countries. At first, it was very difficult to find someone new using that mode and now things have changed for the better. I wish there was a way to increase usage on bands other than 20 meters, however...I am not sure that a contest is the answer, but I am at a loss to suggest anything else.

                                Ed, K0KC

                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                                  Congrats Gary! I am looking forward to reading your article. I have always been a pretty good writer, but I guess that I am getting lazy in my old age...I should "crank" something out too.

                                  Ed, K0KC

                                  I have written an article from the user's perspective and it will be posted on the ARRL website under "News and Features" next week.  I posted this same information on the wsjtgroup site this morning, but perhaps I didn't navigate properly to get it approved onto the yahoo groups page.

                                  The article is on my website if you wish to take a "pre-production" glance:  http://www.w4gal.com/JT9

                                  I am in the process of writing another one, and I like and relate to your words: user perspective, because that's what I do.  I'm not knowledgable from the technical side of the house.

                                  73, Gary  W4GAL

[...]

                                  gary@...

                                • chas cartmel
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013

                                    Ed

                                    Just checked your article, very good and should stir some interest. I am trying to publicise the mode on my own site and ask that when your article is published if I may refer to it through my own WSJT page.

                                    One comment however. The screenshot you are using is of a very old version and layout is somewhat different now. If anybody cross-references to Joe’s instructions they may get a tad confused.

                                    I have also added in links to JT-AlertX which is a perfect companion (IMHO) for DXCC, WAS hunters etc which is another ‘selling’ point.

                                    Good Work there Ed

                                    73

                                    Charlie

                                    www.G4EST.me.uk

                                    From: chas cartmel <chas@...>
                                    Date: Sunday, August 18, 2013 2:58 AM
                                    To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                                      Gary,

                                      Nice article!

                                      I am restricted to indoor and stealth antennas here as well. Most of my JT9 contacts have been with an MFJ loop antenna in the attic above the garage. I have a pretty good antenna farm up there with dipoles, random wires, a 2m/70cm vertical, and a 6m square loop.

                                      Ed, K0KC

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 19, 2013
                                        I can imagine what would happen if 10 to 49 watts and 50+ watts were used. It would be a disaster. Many like myself would not participate because of the tremendous QRM. I for one do not feel a contest on this basis is a good idea. If you were considering submitting QSO logs over an extended period made under normal conditions who knows. Possibly many would see the number of contacts,distances or countries,and possibly the conditions they are being made under and be impressed with the result. Please do not have a weak signal mode be assaulted in this manner.
                                        73 Fred N9GUE
                                      • Jeff Stillinger
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                                          Fred,

                                          In reality, there are many 50-100 watt stations using JT9 and JT65 every day.   The average power used, by admission of the stations, is 25-35 watts.  However, I have seen admissions of 300 watts.  If a 35 watt station is acceptable out side of a contest, then it would be acceptable within the confines of a contest.   You will note that the higher power used, the fewer points a station could obtain.  Higher power could actually loose the contest for the operator.   Again, die hard contesters are going to operate to extract the highest number of points per hour.   Which would be 1-10 watts.

                                          As far a log submitted over time, we already have awards for that.   DXCC, WAS, WAC, etc…  Funny how not many are showing off the awards.   I have seen a few WAS's, no DXCC that I know of.

                                          --
                                          Jeff - KB6IBB

                                          From: fred_darrah <cfdarrah@...>
                                          Date: Monday, August 19, 2013 6:45 PM
                                          To: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>
                                          Subject: [wsjtgroup] JT9 Contest

                                          I can imagine what would happen if 10 to 49 watts and 50+ watts were used. It would be a disaster. Many like myself would not participate because of the tremendous QRM. I for one do not feel a contest on this basis is a good idea. If you were considering submitting QSO logs over an extended period made under normal conditions who knows. Possibly many would see the number of contacts,distances or countries,and possibly the conditions they are being made under and be impressed with the result. Please do not have a weak signal mode be assaulted in this manner.
                                          73 Fred N9GUE

                                        • kc2wuf
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                                            Jeff,

                                            I believe the reason for no DXCC awards being discussed is that until ARRL changes the DXCC awards rules, there are no awards for individual modes, just CW, Phone and Digital (used to be called RTTY). There is discussion at ARRL of expanding the awards and I believe individual modes for DXCC might be one of the endorsements added.

                                            73 David KC2WUF

                                            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Stillinger <kb6ibb@...> wrote:
                                            > As far a log submitted over time, we already have awards for that. DXCC,
                                            > WAS, WAC, etcŠ Funny how not many are showing off the awards. I have seen
                                            > a few WAS's, no DXCC that I know of.
                                          • Hisami DEJIMA
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 20, 2013
                                              very interesting.

                                              Too strong signals are disadvantage of the HF WSJT community.
                                              The Alligator should receive penalty. hi

                                              73, Hisami 7L4IOU

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 5, 2013
                                                Hi Thomas,

                                                Thanks for your interest in WSJT-X.

                                                W4HM wrote:
                                                > With all due respect to your suggestion, as an avid CW and RTTY contester, a
                                                > contest involving the JT9 mode would be an unworkable catastrophe because of
                                                > the inherent latency in copying the other stations signals time wise. You
                                                > would just end up with everyone transmitting one on top of another with no
                                                > one printing received signals.

                                                For what it's worth: the ARRL EME contest works extremely well using the
                                                JT65 protocol. JT65 has the same timing and latencies as JT9.

                                                True, the maximum QSO rate is about 15 per hour, no great shakes by HF
                                                standards. But in most EME circumstances that's about as good as it
                                                gets, with any mode.

                                                That said, I'm pretty sure that a JT9 contest at HF would have plenty of
                                                other problems -- not least because signal levels can very over a vastly
                                                larger range than EME signals do.

                                                > ... Many find
                                                > WSJT-X clunky and as it's the only available software in existence for JT9,
                                                > the mode is under used.
                                                >
                                                > I personally find the undockable windows in WSJT-X very clunky and
                                                > unpleasent to use and tolerate it only because I love the JT9 mode so much.
                                                > It's especially cumbersome when I have other software windows open at the
                                                > same time.

                                                As far as I know, most users find the WSJT-X GUI to be somewhere between
                                                good and excellent. Whatever the truth of that statement might be,
                                                "clunky" is not a helpful description of whatever things you may dislike
                                                about it.

                                                Separately movable and resizable windows for the waterfall and main
                                                window offer maximum freedom in the way you set up your screen. We
                                                developers can hardly plan for detailed accommodation of every user's
                                                "other software windows open at the same time". However, I usually have
                                                such a situation, also -- and I don't find any "clunky" limitations to
                                                how I want to arrange things.

                                                If you have some good ideas about how to make WSJT-X better, please
                                                spell them out and share them with us. If you can program, feel free to
                                                contribute -- that's why all WSJT-related programs are open source. If
                                                you can't contribute in that way, feel free to make a thorough and
                                                thoughtful feature request.