Re: [wsjtgroup] Re: WSJT-X v1.2 r3556, beta release [2 Attachments]

  • Joe Subich, W4TV
    Message 1 of 53 , Aug 17, 2013
      > I'm working on borrowed time here... leaving tomorrow for two weeks
      > away, and much to do.

      Understood.

      > Your two test files tell the story very clearly -- see the attached
      > screen shots that shows spectra from both files at high resolution,
      > using the waterfall graph in WSJT-X.

      I see that.

      > One other comment: You are running your audio input way too hot,
      > perhaps by 20 dB or so. For best dynamic range, reduce your Rx audio
      > level so that you get no more than ~30 dB on the WSJT-X meter with
      > the digital gain slider at mid-scale.

      Audio is being run where other software (and the "Wide Graph") is most
      comfortable and sees best dynamic range in the sound card. With AGC,
      peak audio is 80% of full scale on the "meter" in Windows Sound Control
      Panel and "no signal" level is not visible.

      To keep the displayed audio level at no more than ~30 or even ~40 dB
      requires adjusting the sound card digital gain to "20" and the input
      attenuator to 8 o'clock (normal would be "80" and 1:30) and doing so
      results in the need to set "Wide Graph" zero to +10 or more to see the
      weakest signals.

      If ~30 dB at mid range of the slider is accurate, it appears to me that
      WSJTX has 20 to 30 dB more (excess) internal gain that other software.
      However, that is not likely to be a factor in the difference in input
      handling since the excess gain appears consistent between 3520 and
      3556 and does not appear to be an issue on the i7/Windows 8 system.

      73,

      ... Joe, W4TV

      On 8/17/2013 10:24 AM, Joe Taylor wrote:
      > Hi Joe,
      >
      >> I previously sent you two wave files - one captured with each version
      >> in the same minute. Perhaps you can tell something from them.
      >
      > I'm working on borrowed time here... leaving tomorrow for two weeks
      > away, and much to do. I expect that others in the development group --
      > and particularly Bill, G4WJS -- will get you sorted out soon.
      >
      > Your two test files tell the story very clearly -- see the attached
      > screen shots that shows spectra from both files at high resolution,
      > using the waterfall graph in WSJT-X.
      >
      > The top display in each image is from your file 130817_0204a.wav,
      > recorded by r3520. The lower one from 130817_0204b.wav, recorded
      > simultaneously with r3556. The second image, w4tv_2.png, is an expanded
      > view around the the strong JT9 signal at 3450 Hz.
      >
      > The strong JT9 signal is clean in 130817_0204a.wav, but corrupted by
      > many discontinuities in 130817_0204b.wav. The discontinuities produce
      > the equivalent of "key clicks", clearly evident in the spectra.
      >
      > I'm sure Bill will get you sorted out, and soon!
      >
      > One other comment: You are running your audio input way too hot, perhaps
      > by 20 dB or so. For best dynamic range, reduce your Rx audio level so
      > that you get no more than ~30 dB on the WSJT-X meter with the digital
      > gain slider at mid-scale.
      >
      > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

    • kc2wuf
      Message 53 of 53 , Aug 18, 2013
        Ed,

        In Setup enable "Blank line between decoding periods".

        73 David KC2WUF