Perseid - where to aim?

  • BrassRat77
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
      Not strictly a WSJT question (other than I will likely be using 50MHz FSK441). I'm relatively new to meteor scatter, and have not found a definitive answer and hoping some folks here will know.

      Recommendation for aiming antennas is 20-10 deg off the direct (great circle) azimuth to the other station (decreases as range increases). During a shower like Perseid, does that practice still apply? Is it better to aim 10-20 deg off the radiant, or at right angles to radiant? (or just get on pingjockey, make skeds, and hope for success?)

      Thanks & 73. Steve KS1G
    • Jim Kennedy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
        Steve. a lot of guys use this program including myself. I find it to be effective in determining the actual path of a meteor shower along with when the radiant is rising and setting and where. http://www.dl1dbc.net/Meteorscatter/ As for pointing the antenna after 50+ years of working MS I still find the best antenna direction as is pointing at the other guy. The best position is broadside to the path of the meteors.  WSJT gives the bearing to the station and I use it. Any meteor shower is going to favor a particular path of course. Get on and have fun !!!

        Jim
        W7OUU
        DN22sn Idaho

        Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:05 PM
        Subject: [wsjtgroup] Perseid - where to aim?

        Not strictly a WSJT question (other than I will likely be using 50MHz FSK441). I'm relatively new to meteor scatter, and have not found a definitive answer and hoping some folks here will know.

        Recommendation for aiming antennas is 20-10 deg off the direct (great circle) azimuth to the other station (decreases as range increases). During a shower like Perseid, does that practice still apply? Is it better to aim 10-20 deg off the radiant, or at right angles to radiant? (or just get on pingjockey, make skeds, and hope for success?)

        Thanks & 73. Steve KS1G

      • Stephan Greene
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 7, 2013
          Jim:

          Thanks!  Looks like a very useful program, and it (along with you and several other responses) answers my question about where to aim if I'm not pursuing a known location and using WSJT's bearing data.

          73 Steve KS1G FM18hx Virginia.

          Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:05 PM

          Not strictly a WSJT question (other than I will likely be using 50MHz FSK441). I'm relatively new to meteor scatter, and have not found a definitive answer and hoping some folks here will know.

          Recommendation for aiming antennas is 20-10 deg off the direct (great circle) azimuth to the other station (decreases as range increases). During a shower like Perseid, does that practice still apply? Is it better to aim 10-20 deg off the radiant, or at right angles to radiant? (or just get on pingjockey, make skeds, and hope for success?)

          Thanks & 73. Steve KS1G

          Steve Greene  ks1g04@...  <kay ess one gee zero four>@gmail.com
        • Dave Hedrick
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 8, 2013
            Steve, Welcome to MS! You will find plenty of help here, and on Ping Jockey. I caution you, it is addictive. I am fairly mew to it myself and run my station strictly portable for MS on 2m.

            If you have 2m capabilities it is a lot of fun, and sometimes a little challenging. Just got back from portable this morning. Had some good rocks coming in.

            73
            Dave N6DLH
            FM17tb