Frequency question

  • David Meye
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
      I can not get a conact on JT-9. What Frq is it on ?  I am usoing split on my Kenwood 2000 Kisten on 14.076 and transmit on 14078.  But no contacts  Can someon help me ou

      Dave KL7QW 573-552-8057
    • Jim - N4ST
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
        Dave,
        Try something simpler to begin with. Do not operate split. Listen and
        transmit on 14.078.
        Is your transmitter keying up and putting out power when you go into the
        transmit cycle?
        Is your computer timing set to within 1 second of WWV? (Windows will not do
        this alone, you need a third party NTP program).

        73,
        Jim – N4ST

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
          Hello,

          I've read the manual many times but i'm not able
          to decode "Multi" JT9 stations.
          JT65 multidecoding is 100% ok.

          The BW is correct and the signals in the waterfall
          are ok. The only way to decode JT9 is to set
          the cursor on the trace
          and press "Decode";
          then the station is decoded 100% ok.

          I'm missing something but what ?

          Thank you for your help.

          73 QRO,
          Rudi, HB9ARI
        • Goran SM4DHF
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
            Hi all

            I have the same problem. JT65 decodes fine in Multi mode.
            I have to use single mode JT9 to be able to decode any JT9-signals
            so very interested in the answers you get!

            Goran SM4DHF

            hb9ari@... skrev 2013-08-04 12:52:

            Hello,

            I've read the manual many times but i'm not able
            to decode "Multi" JT9 stations.
            JT65 multidecoding is 100% ok.

            The BW is correct and the signals in the waterfall
            are ok. The only way to decode JT9 is to set
            the cursor on the trace
            and press "Decode";
            then the station is decoded 100% ok.

            I'm missing something but what ?

            Thank you for your help.

            73 QRO,
            Rudi, HB9ARI

          • k3wyc
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
              Please confirm that the, on the wide graph display, the mode boundary marker (blue line on the frequency scale) is set to a suitable value.

              If it is not set at a frequency lower than the JT9 signals they will not be decoded no matter what TX mode is selected.

              73,

              Andy

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                In my case I am having the rig on 14078/21078 with plenty of JT9 signals.
                Decodes fine in single mode but not a single decode in multi mode.
                If I can decode in single mode should I just not be able to switch back and forth
                between single and multi mode and get the same stations decoded?
                I have no blue line when listening on 078.

                Goran SM4DHF

                k3wyc skrev 2013-08-04 14:58:

                Please confirm that the, on the wide graph display, the mode boundary marker (blue line on the frequency scale) is set to a suitable value.

                If it is not set at a frequency lower than the JT9 signals they will not be decoded no matter what TX mode is selected.

                73,

                Andy

                > I have the same problem. JT65 decodes fine in Multi mode.
                > I have to use single mode JT9 to be able to decode any JT9-signals
                > so very interested in the answers you get!

              • Bobby Chandler
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                  I have no problem decoding both JT65 and JT9 signals with the TS570, which has limited bandwidth AF.  I use the Splt tic in the setup (Configuration) and set the radio for SPLIT operation.  The "A" vfo should be used for receive and the frequency select box will set the correct frequency for the band (ex: 14076).  When you transmit the radio shifts to the "B" vfo and the program sets the correct transmit frequency, depending on where your signal is in the WF.  I leave the mode split marker at 2500 default and shift the IF upwards to cover most of the JT9 band (3000 to 4000).  If you are out of this range, the program will make the change to the "B" vfo to make the tones transmit on the correct AF.  Since the JT65 signals are so strong (power mostly) you can decode MOST of the JT65 signals and MOST of the JT9 signals.  If your radio need to go to the DATA mode, set the B vfo for data and you can leave the A vfo in USB if your radio has more bandwidth in the USB mode than DATA. This works fine for me.

                  Bobby/N4AU

                   Bobby E Chandler
                  bobbye@...
                    n4au@...

                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                    > I have no blue line when listening on 078.

                    You will not have a blue line unless mode is set to JT9+JT65.

                    If mode is set to JT9, the software will decode all JT9 signals
                    found in the audio passband regardless of frequency. If the
                    mode is set to JT65, the software will decode all JT65 signals
                    found in the passband regardless of frequency.

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                    On 8/4/2013 11:06 AM, Goran SM4DHF wrote:
                    > In my case I am having the rig on 14078/21078 with plenty of JT9 signals.
                    > Decodes fine in single mode but not a single decode in multi mode.
                    > If I can decode in single mode should I just not be able to switch back
                    > and forth
                    > between single and multi mode and get the same stations decoded?
                    > I have no blue line when listening on 078.
                    >
                    > Goran SM4DHF
                    >

                    > k3wyc skrev 2013-08-04 14:58:
                    >>
                    >> Please confirm that the, on the wide graph display, the mode boundary
                    >> marker (blue line on the frequency scale) is set to a suitable value.
                    >>
                    >> If it is not set at a frequency lower than the JT9 signals they will
                    >> not be decoded no matter what TX mode is selected.
                    >>
                    >> 73,
                    >>
                    >> Andy
                    >>

                    >> > I have the same problem. JT65 decodes fine in Multi mode.
                    >> > I have to use single mode JT9 to be able to decode any JT9-signals
                    >> > so very interested in the answers you get!

                  • kc2wuf
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                      Let's try posting this again with the proper To addressee.

                      For multi-mode decode you need to see a blue line on your Wide Graph waterfall. Everything signal to the left will be decoded for JT65 and every signal to the right will be decoded for JT9. If you can't see the blue line on the top scale of your waterfall display then change the number in the far-right text box "JT65 #### JT9" to the scale value you'd like the blue line to reside at.

                      For example, if you are using a QRG of 14076 then 2270 would be the top of the old JT65-HF band, while 3000 is the start of the original JT9 band. If you are using a QRG of 14078 then 1000 would be the base of the original JT9 decoding window.

                      Hope this helps.

                      73 David KC2WUF
                    • Goran SM4DHF
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                        Thanks David, well explained
                        Now I get both JT9 and JT65 multimode decoding!

                        Goran SM4DHF

                      • hb9ari@bluewin.ch
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                          Hi David,

                          The blue line is set to 2500 Hz instead of 2270 Hz.
                          During my last tests this afternoon, my VFO was
                          on
                          21.076 Mhz (Anan100/D) and all JT65 till 2500Hz
                          and JT9 from 2500 till ~4000Hz were perfectly visible.
                          No problem for
                          JT65 decoding, but only manual decoding
                          (double clic on the trace) was possible for signal lower then
                          -15 to -20 dB.

                          The spectrum was perfectly flat till ~ 4000Hz.
                          Traces on the waterfall were perfectly visible.
                          It's like i'get a loss
                          of sensitivity for decoding with
                          the high frequencies. Speed of VAC is 48000 samples/s as
                          written in manual.

                          Thank
                          you for your answer.

                          My best 73,
                          Rudi, HB9ARI

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 4, 2013
                            Hi Andy,

                            Thank you for your message.

                            I'm now at QRL pro in Yverdon-les-Bains.
                            I'll return to my camping site's shack
                            next Wednesday
                            and will be able to send to you some screen-shots.

                            My best 73,
                            Rudi, HB9ARI

                            ----Message
                            d'origine----
                            De: a.durbin@...
                            Date: 04.08.2013 21:18
                            À: <hb9ari@...>
                            Objet: RE: [wsjtgroup] Re: Unable to
                            decode the JT9 band

                            Hi Rudi,

                            Can you please send me screen snapshots of you wsjt-x widegraph window and main window.
                            Make the snapshots for the case when you are not decoding JT9.

                            BTW no problem with your English, much better than my
                            German or French ;)

                            73,

                            Andy

                            Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:48 AM
                            > To: a.durbin@...
                            > Subject: RE: [wsjtgroup] Re: Unable to decode the JT9
                            band

                            > Hi Andy,
                            >
                            > The RX BW is set from 50 to 4195 Hz (Anan100/D)
                            > The spectrum is flat from 100 to 4100Hz.

                            Traces are
                            > perfectely visibles on waterfall from ~100 to 2500 Hz (JT65)
                            > and decoded 100%
                            > Traces are also
                            perfectly visible from
                            > 2500 to 4000Hz (JT9)
                            > JT9 are decoded if level is over ~ -15 to -20 dB like "Multi" with
                            JT65-HF
                            > JT9 is decoded for
                            > lower levels ONLY if i double click on the corresponding
                            > trace.
                            > If i leave the
                            cursor on the trace, next trace(s) are
                            > perfectely decoded
                            > "automatically".
                            >
                            > Sorry but it's difficult for me to
                            explain in English language hi !

                            Date: 04.08.2013 16:58
                            > À: <wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Objet:
                            > [wsjtgroup] Re: Unable to decode the JT9 band

                            Please confirm that the, on the wide graph display, the mode boundary
                            > marker (blue line on the frequency scale) is
                            set to a suitable value.

                            > If it is not set at a frequency lower than the
                            > JT9 signals they will not be decoded no
                            matter what TX mode is selected.

                            > 73,
                            >
                            > Andy
                            >

                            > > I have the same problem.
                            > JT65 decodes fine in
                            Multi mode.
                            > > I have to use single mode JT9 to be able to decode any JT9-signals
                            > > so very
                            > interested in the
                            answers you get!