Re: v. 1.1.1, r3520 TX problem? --- mysteriously resolved...

  • g4wjs
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2013
      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "chas cartmel" <chas@...> wrote:

      > Ed

      Hi Ed & Chas,

      > This happened to me some time back, although no updates to the WSJT-X or the
      > PC that I am aware of directly fixed it.
      >
      > After my first QSO on JT9 with the 1st version of wsjt-x my transmission
      > modulation suddenly stopped although the sound device playback dialogue in
      > Windows showed full scale. I had tried for 6 weeks or so to solve it with
      > the help of this group without success, going through 3 releases of the
      > software I think. Then without explanation it just started working again and
      > has done since.

      Those symptoms are probably due to using a receive bandwidth greater than your radios tx bandwidth and using a DF above ~2800Hz. The split option deals with this by shifting the tx dial frequency and output tone frequency to transpose the output tones inside of the bandwidth of your radios tx filter. If you forget to check the split option; WSJT-X will tx a tone at your current DF which will be severely attenuated by the transmitter filter.

      > 73
      >
      > Charlie
      >
      > www.G4EST.me.uk

      73
      Bill
      G4WJS.
    • charlie cartmel
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2013
        Bill
        That is the most logical explanation (in fact the only explanation
        postulated) re the tx issue. I had the same issue with WSPR so may check
        this out.

        73
        Charlie
        www.G4EST.me.uk

        > This happened to me some time back, although no updates to the WSJT-X
        > or the PC that I am aware of directly fixed it.
        >
        > After my first QSO on JT9 with the 1st version of wsjt-x my
        > transmission modulation suddenly stopped although the sound device
        > playback dialogue in Windows showed full scale. I had tried for 6
        > weeks or so to solve it with the help of this group without success,
        > going through 3 releases of the software I think. Then without
        > explanation it just started working again and has done since.

        Those symptoms are probably due to using a receive bandwidth greater than
        your radios tx bandwidth and using a DF above ~2800Hz. The split option
        deals with this by shifting the tx dial frequency and output tone frequency
        to transpose the output tones inside of the bandwidth of your radios tx
        filter. If you forget to check the split option; WSJT-X will tx a tone at
        your current DF which will be severely attenuated by the transmitter filter.

        > 73
        >
        > Charlie
        >
        > www.G4EST.me.uk

        73