LOCK TX=RX

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 28, 2013
      Hi Joe,

      > b. Double-click on the decoded line with the message  "K1JT N5KDV EM41", highlighted in red. Results will be similar to
      > (a), except the Tx frequency (red marker) is not moved.

      I confirmed today that this is not working for me.  I finished a QSO with W7CRW at +1815 and after logging I sent a CQ.  N6BX replied to me, but his signal was at +1814.  When I double clicked the decoded message in the Band Activity window I saw my TX/RX frequency change to +1814.

      >1627 -17  0.6 1815 # KJ6RGX W7CRW 73
      >1637  -1  0.4 1814 # KJ6RGX N6BX CM88

      Dan
      KJ6RGX

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
        Anyone else seeing QSO frequency changes? Twice this week I have started a QSO with someone calling CQ and their report back to me is down 1kHz from the original frequency. As I've noted prior, double clicking in either the band activity window or the Rx Frequency window will cause my output frequency to "match" the frequency of the line I double clicked. Would like to find and fix the cause if possible, but I don't "see" anything wrong on my end. Waterfall shows me on the correct frequency and I monitor it during the QSO to make sure it doesn't change. I have also turned on echo TX messages to the Rx Frequency window so I have a record if/when it changes.

        Dan
        KJ6RGX

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

        > Hi Joe,
        >
        > > b. Double-click on the decoded line with the message "K1JT N5KDV
        > EM41", highlighted in red. Results will be similar to
        > > (a), except the Tx frequency (red marker) is not moved.
        >
        > I confirmed today that this is not working for me. I finished a QSO
        > with W7CRW at +1815 and after logging I sent a CQ. N6BX replied to me,
        > but his signal was at +1814. When I double clicked the decoded message
        > in the Band Activity window I saw my TX/RX frequency change to +1814.
        >
        > >1627 -17 0.6 1815 # KJ6RGX W7CRW 73
        > >1637 -1 0.4 1814 # KJ6RGX N6BX CM88
        >

        > Dan
        > KJ6RGX

      • DeadEye
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
          It just happened to me again and I emailed the contact to find out what he saw on his end.  I called CQ JT65 at +501 and got a response at +1502.  I sent a txt message and he responded he was seeing me at +240.  I have no way to determine if my TS590 is transmitting at the frequency I think it should be, other than I see the VFO B change frequency.  When I called CQ at +501 VFO B showed 14.075 and I believe that is correct.  When I responded back to the quy who answered my CQ he came in at +1502 and my response showed VFO B now at 14.076.  So from my view it appears my system is operating as I expect.  When I hear back from this contact it might shed more light on my issue.

          --
          Dan  --  KJ6RGX

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
            I have both WSJTX and my TS-590 set for split operation.  VFO A is the receive frequency and is set to 14.076.  From what I see here, VFO B follows the frequency I would be on if I transmitted, and when working JT65 is will show between 14.075 and 14.077, and when working JT9 it will show between 14.078 and 14.080.  From what I have read in the manual it appears my setup is working as expected.

            The other side of the equation, the receiving station, is the unknown.  I don't know what they are seeing when they receive my signal.  And that is why I don't think the LOCK TX=RX is working as advertised.  If I call CQ and receive a response, double clicking the response should NOT cause my frequency to change to match the other station.

            --
            Dan  --  KJ6RGX

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12, 2013
              I did some testing and with limited resources I have concluded that split mode is not working for me. I can run single mode, either JT65 or JT9, using frequency of 14.076 for JT65 and 14.078 for JT9, everything works as expected.

              Questions:

              1. When operating split mode, both JT65 and JT9, what should VFO A frequency be set to?

              2. Using Kenwood TS-590, should the +2kHz button ever be enabled?

              3. Is it possible for the TS-590 to show VFO B at 14.075 and transmit tones that are more than 2kHz above or below that frequency?

              As for LOCK TX=RX what I do now is untick that option when I send CQ. When double clicking a responder the receive green bar may move, but the red transmit bar will not move. Similar to the old version of JT65HF when transmitting CQ you didn't want to be chasing each other up/down the dial.

              Dan
              KJ6RGX

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, DeadEye <kj6rgx@...> wrote:

              > I have both WSJTX and my TS-590 set for split operation.  VFO A is the receive frequency and is set to 14.076.  From what I see here, VFO B follows the frequency I would be on if I transmitted, and when working JT65 is will show between 14.075 and 14.077, and when working JT9 it will show between 14.078 and 14.080.  From what I have read in the manual it appears my setup is working as expected.
              >
              > The other side of the equation, the receiving station, is the unknown.  I don't know what they are seeing when they receive my signal.  And that is why I don't think the LOCK TX=RX is working as advertised.  If I call CQ and receive a response, double clicking the response should NOT cause my frequency to change to match the other station.
              >

              > --
              > Dan  --  KJ6RGX
              >

              > ________________________________

            • k3wyc
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 12, 2013
                Dan,

                Split mode works fine with TS-590S. If you can't get it to work you have a set-up issue, either with the TS-590S, or with WSJT-X.

                About the only thing I can think of for the TS-590S is that you must not have DATA mode selected. The maximum bandwidth in DATA mode is too narrow for dual mode operation. Select USB and ensure PROC is off.

                > 1. When operating split mode, both JT65 and JT9, what should VFO A frequency be set to?

                14076 for 20m

                > 2. Using Kenwood TS-590, should the +2kHz button ever be enabled?

                No, not if you are using DUAL mode.

                > 3. Is it possible for the TS-590 to show VFO B at 14.075 and transmit tones that are more than 2kHz above or below that frequency?

                VFO B should be 14075 (with A at 14076) if the TX cursor is between 0 and 1000 on the waterfall. The transmitted tone is always in the range 1000-2000 Hz.

                Ensure that SPILT is selected on the TS-590S and that VFO A is active for receive. Verify VFO B freq changes as you move the TX cursor up the waterfall.

                Contact me off group if you want details of my configuration.

                73,

                Andy k3wyc

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                  Thanks Andy. Everything I see on my end appears to be doing what I think it should be doing.

                  The "problem" is when I get responses exactly 1kHz lower than what I transmitted, or, I get no response at all, like I'm off frequency and the other end can't see me or decode me. If nobody else is having any issues than I will assume other people are not setup correctly.

                  I was hoping to do some one-on-one testing with someone this weekend, just to prove my setup is transmitting on the correct frequency.

                  Dan
                  KJ6RGX

                  --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k3wyc" <a.durbin@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > KJ6RGX
                  > >
                  > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, DeadEye <kj6rgx@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I have both WSJTX and my TS-590 set for split operation.  VFO A is the receive frequency and is set to 14.076.  From what I see here, VFO B follows the frequency I would be on if I transmitted, and when working JT65 is will show between 14.075 and 14.077, and when working JT9 it will show between 14.078 and 14.080.  From what I have read in the manual it appears my setup is working as expected.
                  > > >
                  > > > The other side of the equation, the receiving station, is the unknown.  I don't know what they are seeing when they receive my signal.  And that is why I don't think the LOCK TX=RX is working as advertised.  If I call CQ and receive a response, double clicking the response should NOT cause my frequency to change to match the other station.

                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                    Just had a QSO and it illustrates my issue.  K2ZD called CQ at +1411 and I answered his call, also at +1411.  My report from him came back at +416.  I maintained my frequency at +1411 to complete the QSO.  I quickly checked Hamspots.net and K4MJ reports my spot at 14076.39.  My VFO B showed 14.076.

                    1820  -9  0.1 1411 # CQ K2ZD FN21
                    1821  Transmitting 14.076 MHz  JT65:  K2ZD KJ6RGX EM27
                    1822 -21  0.1  416 # KJ6RGX K2ZD -11
                    1823  Transmitting 14.076 MHz  JT65:  K2ZD KJ6RGX -09
                    1824 -14  0.2  418 # KJ6RGX K2ZD RRR
                    1825  Transmitting 14.076 MHz  JT65:  K2ZD KJ6RGX 73

                    J    2m    KJ6RGX    14076.39    -14    JT65A    KS    United States    K4MJ

                    Does this make any sense?

                    Dan
                    KJ6RGX
                  • Sam Morgan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                      I'm probably going to get this wrong, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot.

                      I think you are saying the difference in 14.076.000 and 14.076.390
                      (which amounts to ~390 hz) is bothering you, is this correct?

                      a couple of thoughts....
                      where K4MJ's rig is reported your frequency,
                      may be reading 390 hz different from where your rig says you are......

                      add to that, JT65 signals are 177.6 hz wide, then,
                      throw in a little afc chasing (that I think is built into the WSJT pgm)

                      and as long as you were able to complete the QSO, it just seems to me
                      the 390hz difference is just not that big a deal... ymmv

                      Guess, I just don't understand what is concerning you about this?

                      /me ducks back into my rf proof cave and waits for enlightenment :-/
                      sm

                      --

                      GB & 73
                      K5OAI
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                        Thanks Sam.  The issue is that my setup is sending 1kHz low.  According to the manual, the output is always between 1k and 2k.

                        13. Frequency Setting: Taking full advantage of the wideband, dual-mode capability of WSJT-X v1.1 requires a receiver bandwidth of at least 4 kHz.    For example, on a Kenwood TS-2000 I set Low Cut to 200 and High Cut to 5000 Hz. Note that most SSB transceivers have a fixed Tx filter that will not pass audio frequencies higher than about 2700 Hz. WSJT-X v1.1 takes care of this by using Split mode, receiving with VFO A and transmitting with VFO B. The Tx dial frequency (VFO B) is offset in 1000 Hz steps, and the generated audio frequency is adjusted so that it always falls in the range 1000 – 2000 Hz. With CAT and Split Tx enabled on the configuration screen and your transceiver set to Split mode, frequency control will be handled automatically.

                        With VFO B at 14.076 (split mode in use) and the CQ frequency at +1411 on the waterfall,  where should my transmit frequency have been??

                        I think that when VFO A=B the software is not adding the 1kHz adjustment.
                        It would explain why people respond to me 1kHz low.

                        Dan
                        KJ6RGX
                      • Mark, G0MGX
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013

                          Hi Dan

                          Just as an experiment I have just played with the “tune” button with the config in split mode. The TX tone generated when you use tune is proportional to the frequency selected in the waterfall, so if I select +400 I generate the same “tune” tone as if I select +1400, +2400 and +3400. However, the TX frequency is correctly adjusted up by the software an additional 1000Hz each time to TX the correct frequency as received by a station with a dial of whatever.076.00 so the TX frequency is .075, .076, .077 and .078 respectively. Note that +200, +1200 +2200 and +2300 waterfall selections generate the same but appropriately lower frequency audio tone, so you can see the split function working when you try this. I’m just listening to the generated tones using the TX monitor on the rig.

                          I have WSJT-X v1.1 r3482 – it’s clearly working for me.

                          I have also looked out for today and had QSOs in split mode with the TX frequency at .076 without any issues of being off frequency.

                          Mark

                          G0MGX

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                            VFO A remains on 14.076. VFO B shifts down to 14.075, remains at 14.076 or shifts up to 14.077 mhz.

                            VFO A is receive, VFO B is transmit.

                            When your selected offset is between 0 and 1000 hz, VFO B is shifted down 1 khz and 1000 hz is added to the Tx audio.
                            When your selected offset is between 1000 and 2000 hz, VFO B will be the same as VFO A.
                            When your selected offset is between 2000 and 3000 hz, VFO B is shifted up 1 khz, and 1000 hz is subtracted from the Tx audio.
                            When your selected offset is between 3000 and 4000 hz, VFO B is shifted up 2 khz, and 2000 hz is subtracted from the Tx audio.

                            1khz should not be added when your setpoint is between 1000 and 2000 hz. VFO A should be equal to VFO B in that instance.

                            ve3bdr

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                              Not everyone reports the correct frequency, check several stations’ reports before you make a conclusion.
                              Some folks’s radios are not properly calibrated, some folks don’t set the dial right on the money.

                              Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:16 PM
                              To: Dan

                              On 8/13/2013 1:45 PM, Dan wrote:

                              > Just had a QSO and it illustrates my issue. K2ZD called CQ at
                              +1411 and I
                              > answered his call, also at +1411. My report from him came
                              back at +416. I
                              > maintained my frequency at +1411 to complete the QSO. I
                              quickly checked
                              > Hamspots.net and K4MJ reports my spot at 14076.39. My
                              VFO B showed 14.076.

                              > 1820 -9 0.1 *1411* # CQ K2ZD FN21

                              1821 Transmitting 14.076 MHz JT65: K2ZD KJ6RGX EM27
                              > 1822 -21 0.1 *416* #
                              KJ6RGX K2ZD -11
                              > 1823 Transmitting 14.076 MHz JT65: K2ZD KJ6RGX
                              -09
                              > 1824 -14 0.2 *418* # KJ6RGX K2ZD RRR
                              > 1825 Transmitting
                              14.076 MHz JT65: K2ZD KJ6RGX 73

                              > J 2m KJ6RGX *14076.39* -14 JT65A
                              KS United States K4MJ

                              > Does this make any
                              sense?

                              --

                              GB & 73
                              K5OAI

                            • Dan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                                I shut down the software and radio then re-started, still set to +1411 for transmit. VFO B still shows 14.076. Sent a CQ and received a response exactly where I was on the waterfall. Hamspot now shows be at what I think is the correct frequency.

                                X 1m KJ6RGX 14077.41 -11 JT65A KS United States KB3FF
                                A 2m KJ6RGX 14077.36 -08 JT65A KS United States N4AY
                                X 2m KJ6RGX 14077.40 -09 JT65A KS United States K1JT
                                J 4m KJ6RGX 14077.36 -08 JT65A KS United States K6YWJ

                                4 different stations now show me at 14.077.4 and I believe this is correct. Not sure why re-starting hardware and software would make a difference. I agree that not all stations report spots correctly, but when 4 different stations are all in agreement I have to believe them.

                                Best guess is that some stations are not set correctly for split operation. I think that might explain why some stations respond 1kHz lower than the frequency I am transmitting.

                                Dan
                                KJ6RGX

                                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy Benner" <rudy@...> wrote:

                                > Not everyone reports the correct frequency, check several stations’ reports before you make a conclusion.
                                > Some folks’s radios are not properly calibrated, some folks don’t set the dial right on the money.

                              • Fred Darrah
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 13, 2013
                                  Hello to all. I think I am to busy making QSO's to worry about what frequency I am being reported at. If I put the TX redline on a frequency and it makes for a contact , that is what it is all about. Now if you are just worried about where you are reported or your signal strength use WSPR. What is the worry? The software works as it should even though I feel the JT9 decode is not as robust as it should be. That is aq different story and may be only specific to my setup'
                                  73 Fred N9GUE
                                • Dan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 14, 2013
                                    Hi Fred,

                                    It's not "just" about where you are spotted. It really helps if others can "see and decode" your signal. And if you don't know what frequency you're transmitting on how do you know you're not stepping on someone else?

                                    An update...I am confident my setup is correct, and more importantly, working correctly. I believe the issues I saw are due to people not setup correctly for split.

                                    I am done with my troubleshooting efforts on this topic.

                                    Thanks to all who responded here and via direct email, I appreciate the help, ideas, and encouragement ya'all shared with me.

                                    Dan
                                    KJ6RGX