Soundcard differences

  • chas cartmel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013

      Guys

      Not a problem (I think) but just seeking corroboration of these observations.

      Up till yesterday I had been using a USB connected external sound card for the data connection into my PC. This was used through a ZLP miniPro interface switched between my Icom IC706Mk2G and the TS570D. Former I use for JT modes using WSJT-X v1.1 r3496 as it covers 6m, and the latter for general HF working. The antennae are switchable between the two rigs.

      The settings for the waterfall on WSJT-X were at gain -6 zero -5 on 20m, with the slider showing 30db as recommended. This showed a dark blue background on the waterfall which I presume was an underlying noise level with the bottom graph showing at about 2 divisions from the bottom. received signals were visible above this noise.

      Yesterday after some discussions posted here about multiple decodes and relating this to soundcard build issues I bought a new internal soundcard which i fitted to the PC. When WSJT-X was fired up and the appropriate configuration set I noted that the waterfall was black. Slider set to 30db as previous but no visible difference. To get a visual indication of signals below -15db I now have gain @ 5 and zero @ 0. Signals show up fine, some stronger signals flecked with red and decodes are as before. Background still black however. The graph seems to have higher amplitudes for received signals , however as gain set higher I would expect that.

      My thought (assumptions) from this is that the old soundcard was too noisy, the better one now installed converting the audio without the level of noise from the previous. Can only get the ‘blue’ background by raising slider to 50+db.

      My question is how is the signal strength derived and would the soundcard have an influence on this?

      20m seems quieter this morning (09:00 UTC UK) however the vagaries of conditions will probably (hopefully) be the reason for this.

      73

      Charlie

      www.G4EST.me.uk

    • Ed
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013

        I have noted this same issue with waterfall background color….. seems to have risen about the time I updated to the final release version of WSJT-X….  and I have not changed sound cards interface.

        Ed   K7AAT

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 29, 2013
          A very recent change to wsjt-x made the level slider on the main window also control the signal level for the wide graph window. Prior to that change the slider had no control of the waterfall levels.

          I had to adjust my gain and zero settings to get the waterfall back the way I wanted it.

          73,

          Andy