triple decode question

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2013

      Question regarding the triple decode / display of some JT9 stations.

      I know this subject has been raised before.  This evening I am seeing a number of stations whose signals are being decoded three times as previously discussed….. the primary signal,  and two other signals about 20+dB down and 60Hz away on each side of the primary.   Just around 23XX UTC there was a W5 ,  a WD4, and also a VE7 who showed up on 20M all with this issue….possibly more.

      As I recall the prior discussion here to this issue,  these multiple decodes are probably caused by the introduction of 60Hz hum on the DC power of the transmitting station….  Do I have that correct?

      If so,  my question is what can we do to advise the offending station of this issue?

      My thought is to send a Free message during a QSO saying something like,  “ U HAV 60Z HUM”   or   “ CK UR STA 4 HUM”.

      Does this sound reasonable or am I out of line for suggesting such?

      Ed   K7AAT