Re: ARRL BoD Symbol Rate Proposal Anouncement

  • Jack W6NF
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013
      It is interesting to note that here in Canada there are no sub-bands *at
      all*. Except for a 1kHz bandwidth restriction on 30 meters *all* HF
      bands are 6kHz maximum occupied bandwidth. That bandwidth is determined
      at points that are -26db either side of maximum signal amplitude.

      The standards, outlined in a document known as "RBR-4", impose no
      limitations on modes of operation thus Canadians can, apparently, run
      higher data-rate modes with present regulations. RBR-4 is a refreshingly
      easy document to understand!

      That said, VE's are a pretty well behaved lot in that I hear no VE
      activity down very low in frequency on any band, as is the case with our
      South American and Asian brethern.

      --
      Jack, W6NF/VE4
      Shelley, K7MKL/VE4
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013
        > That said, VE's are a pretty well behaved lot in that I hear no VE
        > activity down very low in frequency on any band, as is the case with
        > our South American and Asian brethern.

        More specifically, there are comparatively *few* VEs - thus even a 1%
        rate of "I don't give a damn about other users" causes comparatively
        little QRM. With 810,000 +/-US licensees:
        <http://www.arrl.org/news/2012-marks-all-time-high-for-amateur-radio-licenses>,
        a 1%
        "jackass rate" is enough to destroy the bands for everyone.

        73,

        ... Joe, W4TV