Re: [wsjtgroup] No JT9 signals?

  • Ed Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
      Bill,

      I think that you will find that nearly all JT9 activity is on 20 meters these days, especially during the daylight hours.

      Ed, K0KC

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
        I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.

        I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.

        Dan
        KJ6RGX

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

        > Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
        > three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
        > JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
        > +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
        > answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
        >
        > Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
        >
        > 73, Bill W6WRT

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
          As explained in the User Guide for wSJT-X v 1.1 and previously in
          this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/message/10876

          > In simple terms, if your transceiver's receive filter is limited to
          > approximately 2.5 KHz of bandwidth (a conventional SSB filter), you
          > may want to focus on one mode or the other rather than employ broadband
          > (dual mode) detection. In that case, is is appropriate to disable
          > "Split TX" in the configuration (F2) dialog and set the transceiver
          > to xx.076 (normal "default" frequencies) for JT65A and tick the +2 KHz
          > box (adjusting the default up 2 KHz to xx.078) for JT9.
          >
          > Those with Kenwood transceivers, the Elecraft K3 with FM or AM roofing
          > filter, or SDR transceivers capable of arbitrary receive bandwidth need
          > not be concerned with +2 KHz as they can decode the full 4 KHz or more
          > at one time (and utilize "Split TX" for transmit).

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 7/21/2013 4:16 PM, Dan wrote:
          > I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.
          >
          > I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.
          >
          > Dan
          > KJ6RGX
          >
          > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
          >> three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
          >> JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
          >> +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
          >> answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
          >>
          >> Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
          >>
          >> 73, Bill W6WRT

        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
            Bill, LOTS of JT9 here on 20M.  six signals at once!

            Andy K3UK

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
              Ah, ok, makes perfect sense. I use a Kenwood so never had to use this feature. Thanks for the explanation.

              Dan
              KJ6RGX