Re: [wsjtgroup] No JT9 signals?

  • Bill Turner
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
      ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

      On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

      >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
      >or three minutes

      REPLY:

      I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

      I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

      Thanks for the help everyone.

      73, Bill W6WRT
    • Ed Wilson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
        Bill,

        I think that you will find that nearly all JT9 activity is on 20 meters these days, especially during the daylight hours.

        Ed, K0KC

        On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

        >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
        >or three minutes

        REPLY:

        I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

        I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

        Thanks for the help everyone.

        73, Bill W6WRT

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
          I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.

          I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.

          Dan
          KJ6RGX

          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

          > Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
          > three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
          > JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
          > +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
          > answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
          >
          > Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
          >
          > 73, Bill W6WRT

        • Joe Subich, W4TV
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
            As explained in the User Guide for wSJT-X v 1.1 and previously in
            this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/message/10876

            > In simple terms, if your transceiver's receive filter is limited to
            > approximately 2.5 KHz of bandwidth (a conventional SSB filter), you
            > may want to focus on one mode or the other rather than employ broadband
            > (dual mode) detection. In that case, is is appropriate to disable
            > "Split TX" in the configuration (F2) dialog and set the transceiver
            > to xx.076 (normal "default" frequencies) for JT65A and tick the +2 KHz
            > box (adjusting the default up 2 KHz to xx.078) for JT9.
            >
            > Those with Kenwood transceivers, the Elecraft K3 with FM or AM roofing
            > filter, or SDR transceivers capable of arbitrary receive bandwidth need
            > not be concerned with +2 KHz as they can decode the full 4 KHz or more
            > at one time (and utilize "Split TX" for transmit).

            73,

            ... Joe, W4TV

            On 7/21/2013 4:16 PM, Dan wrote:
            > I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.
            >
            > I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.
            >
            > Dan
            > KJ6RGX
            >
            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
            >> three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
            >> JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
            >> +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
            >> answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
            >>
            >> Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
            >>
            >> 73, Bill W6WRT

          • Andrew O'Brien
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
              Bill, LOTS of JT9 here on 20M.  six signals at once!

              Andy K3UK

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                Ah, ok, makes perfect sense. I use a Kenwood so never had to use this feature. Thanks for the explanation.

                Dan
                KJ6RGX