Re: [wsjtgroup] No JT9 signals?

  • Bill Turner
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
      ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

      On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:26:34 -0400, K3UK wrote:

      >What frequency shows at the bottom of the waterfall as the point where JT9
      >decodes begin ? What bandwidth filter setting do you have for receive on
      >your rig ? I have a 4.4 Khz receive filter .
      >
      >Andy K3UK

      REPLY:

      Do you mean the JT65 2500 JT9 box? Bandwidth is 3.6k on the IC-7600.

      I'm seeing the normal white noise on the waterfall, just no signals. The
      white noise tapers down at 3.6k, just as one would expect.

      73, Bill W6WRT
    • Bill Turner
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

        On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

        >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
        >or three minutes

        REPLY:

        I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

        I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

        Thanks for the help everyone.

        73, Bill W6WRT
      • Ed Wilson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
          Bill,

          I think that you will find that nearly all JT9 activity is on 20 meters these days, especially during the daylight hours.

          Ed, K0KC

          On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

          >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
          >or three minutes

          REPLY:

          I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

          I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

          Thanks for the help everyone.

          73, Bill W6WRT

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
            I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.

            I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.

            Dan
            KJ6RGX

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

            > Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
            > three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
            > JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
            > +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
            > answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
            >
            > Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
            >
            > 73, Bill W6WRT

          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
              As explained in the User Guide for wSJT-X v 1.1 and previously in
              this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/message/10876

              > In simple terms, if your transceiver's receive filter is limited to
              > approximately 2.5 KHz of bandwidth (a conventional SSB filter), you
              > may want to focus on one mode or the other rather than employ broadband
              > (dual mode) detection. In that case, is is appropriate to disable
              > "Split TX" in the configuration (F2) dialog and set the transceiver
              > to xx.076 (normal "default" frequencies) for JT65A and tick the +2 KHz
              > box (adjusting the default up 2 KHz to xx.078) for JT9.
              >
              > Those with Kenwood transceivers, the Elecraft K3 with FM or AM roofing
              > filter, or SDR transceivers capable of arbitrary receive bandwidth need
              > not be concerned with +2 KHz as they can decode the full 4 KHz or more
              > at one time (and utilize "Split TX" for transmit).

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 7/21/2013 4:16 PM, Dan wrote:
              > I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.
              >
              > I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.
              >
              > Dan
              > KJ6RGX
              >
              > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
              >> three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
              >> JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
              >> +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
              >> answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
              >>
              >> Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
              >>
              >> 73, Bill W6WRT

            • Andrew O'Brien
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                Bill, LOTS of JT9 here on 20M.  six signals at once!

                Andy K3UK

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                  Ah, ok, makes perfect sense. I use a Kenwood so never had to use this feature. Thanks for the explanation.

                  Dan
                  KJ6RGX