RE: [wsjtgroup] No JT9 signals?

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

      It seems to me that JT9 activity HAS dropped notably over the past couple days.

      Ed   K7AAT

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

        On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:03:59 -0700 (PDT), K2DOG wrote:

        >On a quiet frequency or without any received signal, set the slider to peak at 20db max and then see what happends.
        >

        >      KK2DOG

        REPLY:

        I have had it set to 30 dB, dropping down to 20 dB doesn't seem to make a
        difference. The white noise is about the same.

        73, Bill W6WRT
      • Andrew O'Brien
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
          I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two or three minutes

          I have WSJT-X set as 2500Hz for the dividing line,

          1756  -5  1.1 3515 @ WS4WW VO1OR RRR

          1759 -18  2.0 3553 @ UN7TK CT1FBK IM58

          Andy K3UK

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
            ORIGINAL MESSAGE: (may be snipped)

            On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 11:26:34 -0400, K3UK wrote:

            >What frequency shows at the bottom of the waterfall as the point where JT9
            >decodes begin ? What bandwidth filter setting do you have for receive on
            >your rig ? I have a 4.4 Khz receive filter .
            >
            >Andy K3UK

            REPLY:

            Do you mean the JT65 2500 JT9 box? Bandwidth is 3.6k on the IC-7600.

            I'm seeing the normal white noise on the waterfall, just no signals. The
            white noise tapers down at 3.6k, just as one would expect.

            73, Bill W6WRT
          • Bill Turner
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013

              On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

              >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
              >or three minutes

              REPLY:

              I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

              I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

              Thanks for the help everyone.

              73, Bill W6WRT
            • Ed Wilson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                Bill,

                I think that you will find that nearly all JT9 activity is on 20 meters these days, especially during the daylight hours.

                Ed, K0KC

                On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 14:03:22 -0400, K3UK wrote:

                >I am regularly seeing JT9 on 20M around 3000 to 3600 hz, usually every two
                >or three minutes

                REPLY:

                I finally found a couple of JT9 sigs on 20. Decoded normally all ok.

                I guess the problem all along was just low activity.

                Thanks for the help everyone.

                73, Bill W6WRT

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                  I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.

                  I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.

                  Dan
                  KJ6RGX

                  --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:

                  > Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
                  > three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
                  > JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
                  > +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
                  > answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
                  >
                  > Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
                  >
                  > 73, Bill W6WRT

                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                    As explained in the User Guide for wSJT-X v 1.1 and previously in
                    this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/message/10876

                    > In simple terms, if your transceiver's receive filter is limited to
                    > approximately 2.5 KHz of bandwidth (a conventional SSB filter), you
                    > may want to focus on one mode or the other rather than employ broadband
                    > (dual mode) detection. In that case, is is appropriate to disable
                    > "Split TX" in the configuration (F2) dialog and set the transceiver
                    > to xx.076 (normal "default" frequencies) for JT65A and tick the +2 KHz
                    > box (adjusting the default up 2 KHz to xx.078) for JT9.
                    >
                    > Those with Kenwood transceivers, the Elecraft K3 with FM or AM roofing
                    > filter, or SDR transceivers capable of arbitrary receive bandwidth need
                    > not be concerned with +2 KHz as they can decode the full 4 KHz or more
                    > at one time (and utilize "Split TX" for transmit).

                    73,

                    ... Joe, W4TV

                    On 7/21/2013 4:16 PM, Dan wrote:
                    > I'm not sure what that "+2 kHz" tick is used for, but on my setup it is not ticked. VFO A is set to 14.076 and when I transmit a JT9 CQ it will show VFO B at 14.078.
                    >
                    > I tried a test CQ with that "+2 kHz" ticked and it changed my VFO A to 14.078 and my CQ JT9 test showed VFO B at 14.080.
                    >
                    > Dan
                    > KJ6RGX
                    >
                    > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Hello: I'm brand new to WSJTX and I have it apparently working ok, but in
                    >> three days of listening I have yet to hear a single JT9 signal. I hear many
                    >> JT65 stations and have worked a few, and when listening for JT9 I have the
                    >> +2 kHz box checked, but there's nothing there on any band. Many CQs. no
                    >> answers. Doesn't matter whether I have mode set to JT9 only or JT65+JT9.
                    >>
                    >> Is the activity that low or am I doing something wrong?
                    >>
                    >> 73, Bill W6WRT

                  • Andrew O'Brien
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                      Bill, LOTS of JT9 here on 20M.  six signals at once!

                      Andy K3UK

                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                        Ah, ok, makes perfect sense. I use a Kenwood so never had to use this feature. Thanks for the explanation.

                        Dan
                        KJ6RGX